Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wife's SPG Win and My Battle w/ CapOne Finally Over

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wife's SPG Win and My Battle w/ CapOne Finally Over

Good Morning Everyone Smiley Happy

So I spend a great deal yesterday doing some number crunching. I'm going on about 4-5 vacations this year and since I'm always the planner, everyone gives me their money and I pay for the hotels, rentals, flights, etc. Last year, I wasted my opportunies by using my Discover IT paying for trips. While the DIscover IT is a great card for rotating categories, I got nothing for paying for several trips last year. So since I have like 11k+ worth of charges I'll be making, I put a lot of thought into it. Instead of going with the Venture like I was originally going to (I'm pretty loyal to CapOne), I decided this wouldn't get us anything really in return. So I decided the SPG AmEx would be the best choice. Four of the trips for the year are booked at SPG hotels and I'm already a Preferred Member and have starpoints. So I told my wife to apply and she got approved for a starting limit of 10K! With all the trips we're going on and a few I'm going on with my family, we will have enough starpoints to get five days free for our 1 year anniversary in November. Smiley Very Happy

As for me, yesterady *takes a long break* I was FINALLY able to get the AF off my Quicksilver Card. I've been trying repeately for months on months on months. So now it is finally a No Fee 10.13% APR card (it was 9.8% for several years but apparently APRs went up last month?) I sent a heavily worded email to the CEO on Saturday and got a call back Monday evening. That's the fastest they've ever responded lol! As everyone else says, you just have to get that one person that is willing to help you. The long trail of "There's no offers on your account" is over. I was having nightmares about that statement lol!

Well that's it for me. I'll make myself an AU on that SPG card when it arrives and I'll get my AmEx Everyday converted to Preferred in May (you have to wait 13 months right?) and I'll be good until I get a house. Maybe apply for the Venture/QS1 combo in late 2016 to pad my current QS. 

Have a great day everyone (and stay warm if you're up north!) Smiley Tongue

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Wife's SPG Win and My Battle w/ CapOne Finally Over

Congrats on your wife's SPG approval and the removal of your QS AF.

As for the APR going up, the Fed raised the reserve rate by .25% last month so any variable APR credit card will go up by that amount.

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

NIce!

Message 3 of 13
elim
Senior Contributor

With 10k spend ahead. I think I would have grabbed a Venture also... Put 3k of the spend on that card, Use the $460 bonus to pay for some of your trip, either keep it or close it in 6 months or a year, and roll that 10k to 15k V into your low APR/limit QS.

Congrats to DW

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats Komp =) Sounds like you are really making it out!

A question though, can you PM what you did to get the AF off for Cap1? I've been trying to get it off of my Secured card since they are now offering the secured card without the AF but I keep getting the "Oh you have no offers on your account". I really don't want to get rid of the card since its my longest one, but I really don't want to pay the AF since I barely use it ever since I got NFCU nRewards.

Message 5 of 13
CJ7
Frequent Contributor

Congrats!  And how did you manage to pull off a 10% QS?

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CJ7 I don't know myself. I was at an APR of 29.40 on my July 2011 statement and then -BAM- 9.77 APR on my August 2011 statement. It's been hovering between 9.7% and 10% since then. Scores were in the low 500s then. That APR was the penalty one since I had missed 3-4 payments. I never called about my card ever either. Didn't know half the stuff I know now Smiley LOL

Message 7 of 13
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Grats

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Zac,

I emailed the CEO (you can google it and it's the first thing that pops up). Basically told him that I had the card since Feb 2007 and that I didn't want another card, didn't want to apply for another card, and was tired of seeing the "It's no offers available on your account". I wanted the card that I currently had in hand, to be my QS. No triple pull for no reason. The EO called me 2 days later, I told her the same thing and that I was tired of having to call every year to get the fee reversed when it can just merely be converted and she said she'll take off the AF. 

I've tried this route many times and I finally broke through. Good luck!! Smiley LOL

Message 9 of 13
alextercero
Super Contributor

Congrats

Current Credit Cards

Currently rebuilding as of (May 2021)

Current Fico Scores 8/9: (April 2024)

Credit Age:

Inquiries:

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.