Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

approved amex gold & denied amex blue?

tag
sgiem
New Visitor

approved amex gold & denied amex blue?

hi there, last year i was approved for both amex gold and green charge cards from a pre-approved offer in the mail. after a great year with amex, i decided to apply for the amex blue cash everyday credit card, and was denied. would anybody know why? my only guess is that amex's scoring for their credit cards is different from their charge cards. fyi, i was instantly approved for the discoverit card with 10K and also have a chase sapphire preffered with 12.5K.

thanks in advance,

sgiem

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Re: approved amex gold & denied amex blue?

Welcome to the forum! Congrats on the Discover and welcome to the Discover family.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 2 of 11
hot4u
Established Contributor

Sorry to hear about the Revolver denial. At least it was a Sp.

From What I read they are Harder to get than the Charge Card.

I wouldn't sweat it for Now there Internal scoring is hard to Figure out.

(Chase)- Freedom, CSP®, United MileagePlus® Explorer, Marriott Rewards® Premier, Penfed cash+ rewards/Promise/Defender.
Amex’s- BCE, Hilton, SPG®, PRG® and Blue®, NFCU Cash Rewards, FHB Destinations World Elite.
- Amex Centurion,(Citi) Executive/Platinum® Advantage

Alaska Airlines
Message 3 of 11
efranklin23
Valued Contributor

@hot4u wrote:

Sorry to hear about the Revolver denial. At least it was a Sp.

From What I read they are Harder to get than the Charge Card.

I wouldn't sweat it for Now there Internal scoring is hard to Figure out.

+1 Revolvers in general are harder criteria to meet than charge cards. I've seen ppl with 620 CS with charge cards.  

AMEX BCE (30K), DISCOVER IT (29.5K), NFCU CASH REWARDS (25K), BOA TRAVEL REWARDS (15K), USAA VISA (13K), CHASE SAPPHIRE RESERVE (13K), COMMENCE MASTERCARD (7.5K), CHASE FREEDOM (7K), CHASE FREEDOM (7K), TFCU CC (2.5K), TARGET REDCARD (900)
Message 4 of 11
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@sgiem wrote:

hi there, last year i was approved for both amex gold and green charge cards from a pre-approved offer in the mail. after a great year with amex, i decided to apply for the amex blue cash everyday credit card, and was denied. would anybody know why? my only guess is that amex's scoring for their credit cards is different from their charge cards. fyi, i was instantly approved for the discoverit card with 10K and also have a chase sapphire preffered with 12.5K.

thanks in advance,

sgiem

Congrats on the Discover approval!   Just wait for the letter to determine what reasons they provided for not being approved.  It could be any number of things, but on the upside, you already have two decent charge cards with them!

Message 5 of 11
Credit-hoarder
Valued Contributor

After reading this thread I think I may have made the right choice opting for Wells Fargo instead of going for BCE because I have the feeling I would have been denied also. I was just approved for Green last month and was waiting for January to go for BCE when the Wells pre-qual offer showed up in the mail.

BUSINESS
Rewards Pts.-Miles: UR-MR-TYP-Venture
Message 6 of 11
CredittotheMax
Frequent Contributor

What was the reason for denial? It's seems strange because CSP is a lot harder to get then BCE.

$5k$4.5k$2.8k$8k$500
FICO = EQ: 786 (1/15) TU:774 (2/15) EX: 767 (2/15)
Message 7 of 11
sghosh5
Valued Contributor

How are your utilizations on other cards? AMEX looks a lot on utlizations when it comes to approve for revolvers. I was approved for BCE recently with a much lower score, but then my utlization is low and I am an AU on a BCE card for almost 10 months now, where I am the one who uses the account and pay in full every month. 

Shell FCU : 5K
Message 8 of 11
alvon123
Super Contributor

@sgiem wrote:

thanks in advance,

sgiem

congrats

Message 9 of 11
efranklin23
Valued Contributor

@Credit-hoarder wrote:

After reading this thread I think I may have made the right choice opting for Wells Fargo instead of going for BCE because I have the feeling I would have been denied also. I was just approved for Green last month and was waiting for January to go for BCE when the Wells pre-qual offer showed up in the mail.

What was your credit scores when you applied for the WF? 

AMEX BCE (30K), DISCOVER IT (29.5K), NFCU CASH REWARDS (25K), BOA TRAVEL REWARDS (15K), USAA VISA (13K), CHASE SAPPHIRE RESERVE (13K), COMMENCE MASTERCARD (7.5K), CHASE FREEDOM (7K), CHASE FREEDOM (7K), TFCU CC (2.5K), TARGET REDCARD (900)
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.