cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

big surprise from my Walmart approval and I am apparently in the 700 club?

tag
new_earth
Frequent Contributor

big surprise from my Walmart approval and I am apparently in the 700 club?

I posted a week or so ago that I was finally approved for Walmart card that I had wanted since I started repairing/rebuilding credt. I was approved on the phone for $1500 and was happy as could be! I would log into my MPM account and see that it had already been reported but I guess I didn't realize it was NOT the store card!

Just got my card in the mail today and found that I was actually approved for the Discover version! WTH! I love the lady who put it through for me! I am so surprised. I guess that explains it then why on my CR's it shows GE/WALMARTD (D as in Discover!) and as a 'credit card' and not charge card.

So I activate my card, register my online account, get my free Transunion FICO score and it's a 704. Smiley Surprised Also I found out recently from another card I had gotten recently (don't remember which card it was) that told me my Experian FICO is a 733. My lowest is EQ FICO which according to DCU is a 654 and probably worse now after some inq's.

Anyway, I am so pleasantly surprised that they gave me the Discover and I didn't even know it. So I basically just got another major CC for CL of $1500. I have had the best luck lately!

Got anything good to tell me about this card? Please do!

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
starry1
Valued Contributor

Re: big surprise from my Walmart approval and I am apparently in the 700 club?

That's really awesome, congrats!

Starting Score: 11/29/12 TU 527; EQ 565; EX 564 fako - bk7 dc'd 2/15/13
Current Score: 1/22/15 TU 645; EQ 605; EX 633 New goal 675
Cap1 sec $1k (SD) / Fingerhut $2k / Flagship $12k / cashRewards $12k / NavChek $15k / Amazon $2k / Von Maur $1k / Firestone $2.2k / BCU $3k / NFL $1k / QS1 $750 / Target $400 / PPSC $800 / Conoco $700 (last app 09/29/14)
Message 2 of 11
myjourney
Super Contributor

Congrats on the Discover version

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 3 of 11
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 4 of 11
new_earth
Frequent Contributor

does anyone know, if I have the Discover already would they later approve me for the store card? Or once you have this one, you can't get the other one?

If so, I think I'd probably have to wait 30 days to app since the day i was approved for this one. Just curious.

Message 5 of 11
Laugh
Frequent Contributor

@new_earth wrote:

does anyone know, if I have the Discover already would they later approve me for the store card? Or once you have this one, you can't get the other one?

If so, I think I'd probably have to wait 30 days to app since the day i was approved for this one. Just curious.

You can try, but most likely you'll get a hard pull and a denial. Hopefully not.

Plus, what use would you have for the store card that you currently cannot use with the Discover Walmart card?

I had the unfortunate event of applying for BML when I had one already. For some reason, my paypal hadn't properly linked together with my BML when I bought something from eBay. I got a hard pull and denial. I wasn't on this forum yet so I didn't know that I could fight to get my hard pull removed. Heck, I didn't even know what a hard pull was. LOL!

Cards: CSP 6k, Chase Freedom 6k, BCP 7.5k, Sallie Mae 8.9k, Discover 5k, BOFA Better Rewards 3.8k
Message 6 of 11
Rhaeny
Valued Contributor

Congrats for you!

Major CC's - Barclay's ($5.5K) | Barclay's Sallie Mae MC ($5K) | DCU ($7.5K) | Discover IT ($1.4K) | Genisys Visa ($1.4K) | NFCU Visa ($22K) | Navcheck ($15K) | Chase Freedom ($5K) | SDFCU Visa ($8K) | Amex BCP ($9.5K) | Amex Delta ($10K) |Store CC's| -Amazon ($4K) | Catherines ($850) | JCP ($4K) | Macy's ($1.7K) | Avenue ($850) | Victoria's Secret ($1.4K) | Walmart ($4.1K) | Paypal SC ($1.3K) | HSN ($2.5) | Sears ($2.6K) | Sams Club ($4.1K) |Goal|: Age with grace to 750 across the board |Last app|: 3/3/2014
Message 7 of 11
Express
Frequent Contributor

@new_earth wrote:

I posted a week or so ago that I was finally approved for Walmart card that I had wanted since I started repairing/rebuilding credt. I was approved on the phone for $1500 and was happy as could be! I would log into my MPM account and see that it had already been reported but I guess I didn't realize it was NOT the store card!

Just got my card in the mail today and found that I was actually approved for the Discover version! WTH! I love the lady who put it through for me! I am so surprised. I guess that explains it then why on my CR's it shows GE/WALMARTD (D as in Discover!) and as a 'credit card' and not charge card.

So I activate my card, register my online account, get my free Transunion FICO score and it's a 704. Smiley Surprised Also I found out recently from another card I had gotten recently (don't remember which card it was) that told me my Experian FICO is a 733. My lowest is EQ FICO which according to DCU is a 654 and probably worse now after some inq's.

Anyway, I am so pleasantly surprised that they gave me the Discover and I didn't even know it. So I basically just got another major CC for CL of $1500. I have had the best luck lately!

Got anything good to tell me about this card? Please do!

Congrats! Smiley Very Happy  It's a GE Capital Card  and they have great CLI's!

CL $408,200
Message 8 of 11
Pilotdude
Established Contributor

Congrats!!  Smiley Happy

NFCU #1 Fan!! NO MOAR APPS TIL 10/13 Minimum!!
TU -746, EX - 721, EQ -745
Cards:NFCU Flag Visa Sig $10000, CSP $8500, AMEX BCP $2000 Freedom $3500, Disc IT $5000, Cap 1 Green $2100, Credit 1 CLOSED! AU on Amex Green, Discover $2000, Cap One Plat $1000
Message 9 of 11
Dubious
Frequent Contributor

@new_earth wrote:

I think you might be a little confused on what you have here. You don't need the store version on top of the Discover version. Just use this card at the store. 

This doesn't really count as a major credit card from a "big" bank. Even though it has a payment network and you can use it wherever Discover is accepted, it is not issued by Discover. It is issued by GECRB, and it is still a store card. 

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.