Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

quirky AMEX approval

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

quirky AMEX approval

I was on the AMEX site recently and started an app for the Hilton Honors card.  Got toward the end where they ask for employment info and got sidetracked by a phone call...never completed the app and never hit "send".  I closed out of the website after I realized it was never completed.

Yesterday I called AMEX with a question about one of my other accounts and they asked if I wanted to link all of my AMEX accounts on the mobile app.  I said "sure, why not?" and when I opened the mobile app, the Hilton Honors account shows up, with an account number and credit limit. 

Somehow I assumed that a partially-completed app would be discarded by AMEX, but I must have reached some magic tipping point in the app process.  I'll be curious to see if the cards actually ship to myself and my AU.  I want the Hilton card, just hadn't looped back to restart the app...guess it's a good thing that I didn't.

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: quirky AMEX approval

Perhaps AMEX has developed mind-reading ability... Scary! Can mind control be far behind? As for me, I am going to go roll my platinum card flat and use it as a layer in my 27 layer tinfoil hat, as extra protection! Gotta run!

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

That is odd, but at least it all worked out.  

Good thing you still wanted the card though.  

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

We travel 4-5 times a year but historically spend VERY few nights in hotels...we either go to all-inclusive resorts in the Caribbean or rent a condo from a friend in Florida.  Now that the kids are away in college maybe this will allow my bride and myself to spend a night now and then in a nice hotel.  AMEX has been good to me this year, hopefully that continues.

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Major Congrats!!!  I just stayed in the Ft Lauderdale Beach Hilton. Smiley Tongue

WOW,,,what a place!!!  5 Stars, great service.  Stayed long weekend.  Nice savings!

Used my sign up Bonus points, the Card made it very Budget friendly for me!!!  Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 12
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Congrats OpSmiley Happy
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, the UPS truck dropped off an express envelope yesterday afternoon with the normal AMEX envelope inside with 2 Hilton Honors cards inside with the standard AMEX informational packet.  First AMEX I've gotten that didn't just show up in the mailbox.  They are activated and ready to go. 

I am a little irritated that the dogs didn't even bark when the truck parked in front of the house and he dropped it on the doorstep.  I was home and saw him coming but my "watch dogs" clearly were too intent on gnawing on their bones.

Message 7 of 12
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

Trust me, you dont want a dog that wakes you up in the middle of the night to let you know the wind is rustleing`````````````1

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here's another semi-related data point for ya...started a savings account app with Wright Patterson CU but wound up going to GE Credit Union instead and never completed the app.  Got a call about 2 weeks later from a rep at WPCU asking if I wanted to complete the app and open account(s).

For some reason I assumed the bank or credit union didn't keep information from online applications until I hit "submit".  Apparently anything I type gets saved at their end, it had never crossed my mind that it might work like that, but clearly it does.

Message 9 of 12
BronzeTrader
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I was on the AMEX site recently and started an app for the Hilton Honors card.  Got toward the end where they ask for employment info and got sidetracked by a phone call...never completed the app and never hit "send".  I closed out of the website after I realized it was never completed.

Yesterday I called AMEX with a question about one of my other accounts and they asked if I wanted to link all of my AMEX accounts on the mobile app.  I said "sure, why not?" and when I opened the mobile app, the Hilton Honors account shows up, with an account number and credit limit. 

Somehow I assumed that a partially-completed app would be discarded by AMEX, but I must have reached some magic tipping point in the app process.  I'll be curious to see if the cards actually ship to myself and my AU.  I want the Hilton card, just hadn't looped back to restart the app...guess it's a good thing that I didn't.

I just do not think this is true.  Credit card companies can't approved a partially filled application.  And employment data is the heart of the entire application.  A lof applications got denied becaused of employment data.  No one would issue credit for someone without job or income.

Somehow you completed the applications that you were not aware of..... But still enjoy the card. 

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.