Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sportman's guide approval 8k

tag
Jchuthemyth
Valued Member

sportman's guide approval 8k

Been planning for weeks, was about to do my app spree today, first step is to unsecure my boa secured card. It's columbus day and the boa secure department is closed. Gotta start the app spree tomorrow or Wednesday.

So, I decided to try the " well known " shopping trick on sportman's guide...instant approval and I called the number, the nice lady said I was approved for 8k.

It's a big deal for me, since I have only 2 secured cards and only 10 months of credit history. Plus, no hp at all.

Just wonder should I delay my app spree until this 8k account post so that the future lender will try to match or go beyond the limit? Or I just go for it on tomorrow or wednesday? Currently I just have 2 secured cards on my report, 4k limit each.

After years of spending cash, I wanna build some credit
Message 1 of 62
61 REPLIES 61
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Re: sportman's guide approval 8k

Wow, $8k, congrats!  I'm surprised more people don't go for this card than they do.

If you wait for this account to pop up on your reports (mine took 1 month just to do so), you might as well delay your entire spree for a good 6 months.

Message 2 of 62
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 3 of 62
loviedovie
Regular Contributor

Wow OP what card is this? Never heard of it... Sounds like something I should look into!
Starting Score: 580
Current Score: 754
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 62
loviedovie
Regular Contributor

PS- CONGRATS!!! Smiley Happy That is a big win for a first unsecured card! Smiley Happy
Starting Score: 580
Current Score: 754
Goal Score: 800

Message 5 of 62
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Isn't this backed by Comenity?
Congrats!!!
Ive never seen a Comenity backed card this high!
Very weird, but you did good, hon!
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 6 of 62
wHiTeSoL
Valued Contributor

I can think of two reasons why this card isn't more popular.

1. The products they carry limits the audience

2. The card isn't very attractive (IMO)

But Congrats! 8k is huge!

Message 7 of 62
Jchuthemyth
Valued Member

I have no idea as well, I only expect about 1- 2k. I applied it because of no af, only sp that won't hurt my coming app spree. my aoaa is short anyway.

I think it's weird as well. Hopefully they won't cld me in the future.

After years of spending cash, I wanna build some credit
Message 8 of 62
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

@wHiTeSoL wrote:

I can think of two reasons why this card isn't more popular.

1. The products they carry limits the audience

2. The card isn't very attractive (IMO)

But Congrats! 8k is huge!

It's a soft pull for a Visa backed card that you can use anywhere.  Unless you'd rather take a $250 Express card, this is the best thing you can get if rebuilding.

I got mine at $5k back in the middle of my rebuilding and kicked myself for ever opening Express or J. Crew cards.

Message 9 of 62
rock_lobster
Valued Member

I just got approved for this card on Saturday.  I go t the popup message a couple of weeks ago and declined.  After I thought about it, I figured what the heck.  So I went back this weekend hoping that I would get the pop up again and I did.  Don't know what my CL is yet.  I'm optimistic about your 8K!  Congrats!

Starting Score: 595
Current Score: EX 690 TU 682 EQ 661 Walmart Fico 684
Goal Score: 700 across the board

Message 10 of 62
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.