Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

0% APR Affect on Credit Report?..

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

0% APR Affect on Credit Report?..

..should i take advantage of 0% APR on my cards? will it affect my credit report?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

Re: 0% APR Affect on Credit Report?..

@Anonymous wrote:

..should i take advantage of 0% APR on my cards? will it affect my credit report?

OP, I separated this from your original thread into a new topic.

As for using the promo APR, it depends on the kind of balance you intend on leaving and how many CCs with balances you have, as well as the CLs.   UTIL is a major component of scoring.  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 2 of 7
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

Up to you, are you applying for anything soon? You want to be about six months out of the high utilization bucket before apping.
Signature needs updating
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

The APR has no affect. What will have an affect is your increasing utilization. So, if you take advantage of the 0% APR by loading up the card, you will see your score slip a bit. However, if you're not applying for something, this doesn't matter. Utilization has no memory. Once you pay it off (before the 0% ends, preferably), you score will rebound and it will be as if you never had it that high.

One of the risk factors of 0% APR is that it typically is timed from when you applied for the card, to the day. Thus, your 0% will end somewhere in the middle of a cycle, and you'll start accruing interest in the middle of that cycle. Additionally, I've heard that some firms really only waive the APR during that intro period, and if you miss the end of the intro, you owe interest dated back to when you made the purchase.

There isn't really a big reason to not use the 0% if you need it, but just be aware of all the issues. Unless you're investing the money you would have spent, time value of money doesn't really apply and you should PIF if you can. 

Message 4 of 7
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

See:

http://www.myfico.com/crediteducation/whatsinyourscore.aspx

As other have stated it's not the 0% APR that matters but revolving utilization which falls under Amounts Owed.

You can also pull your own reports to see how 0% APR's are reported (they're not).

Message 5 of 7
EW800
Valued Contributor

@Imperfectfuture wrote:
Up to you, are you applying for anything soon? You want to be about six months out of the high utilization bucket beforeapping.

You bring up a very good point, which I have wondered about.  I know it is said that Util has no memory, however I have wondered if going say 6 months or 12 months straight of very low Util, after coming down from high Util, could have an even greater impact on scores.  It sounds like after so many consecutive months, such cases could fall into a more positive bucket?  

This is pretty much where I currently stand.  I had high Util on 3 or 4 cards, but finally went a couple of years of major belt tightening, then sending every available dime to the evil CCC's.  We have been approximately 9-10 months now of extremely low Util.  Praying to stay that way from this point on....

Year 2012: All Scores in the 520 range, during a foreclosure, CC Settlement and high UTIL. Very ugly days...
April 2024: EX8: 840; EQ8: 832; TU8: 842 -- Middle Mortgage Score: 822
In My Wallet: Discover $73.7K; Cap1 Venture $51.7K; Amex ED $38K; Amex Optima $2.5K; Amex Delta Gold $18K; Citi Costco $24.5K; Cap1 Plat $8.4K; Barclay $7K; Chase Amazon $6K; BoA Plat $21.6K; Citi TY Pref $22K; US Bank $4K; Dell $5K; Care Credit $6.5K. Total Revolving CL: $300K+
My UTIL: Less than 1% - Only allow about $20 a month to report, on one account. .
Message 6 of 7
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Additionally, I've heard that some firms really only waive the APR during that intro period, and if you miss the end of the intro, you owe interest dated back to when you made the purchase.

This generally applies only with store cards. With other cards, you generally pay the purchase APR only on balances left after the promo APR runs out. Definitely a person should check the terms of their individual card, but this is the usual case.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.