cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

0% APR BT to checking acc, 1% fee - should I take it?

tag
Trivolve
Contributor

0% APR BT to checking acc, 1% fee - should I take it?

Just got what looks like a pretty good BT offer to checking account on my Barclaycard Arrival+. Credit Limit $6,500.

0%
Promotional APR

on balance transfers through
billing cycle ending on or after
July 1, 2016

After that, the Standard
Balance Transfer APR,
18.99%
(which will vary with the
market-based Prime Rate),
will apply.

Promotional transaction fee:
greater of $5 or 1%.

You may also be eligible to
transfer funds from your available credit directly into your checking account.¹

Only 1% fee and transfers to my checking account! Do you guys think I should take it? I'm thinking that in 8 months I should be able to get >1% return on this by investing it so I could end up with a net gain. My only concerns are possible adverse action from barclaycard if i max my CL for this BT, and the drop in FICO score. My last barclaycard TU FICO was 742. I'm not intending to apply for any new credit between now and Jul'16. Maybe I should call Barclaycard to request a CLI before i do this BT, then i can withdraw even more $ to my checking account Smiley Happy

[Total CL: $97K] Citi Forward, BoA BankAmericard Travel Rewards, Discover It, Chase Freedom, Chase Hyatt, AMEX Blue Cash, AMEX Hilton Hhonors, Chase Sapphire Preferred, Citi Thankyou Preferred, Barclaycard Arrival Plus, AMEX Platinum, Chase IHG
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Re: 0% APR BT to checking acc, 1% fee - should I take it?

@Trivolve wrote:

My only concerns are possible adverse action from barclaycard if i max my CL for this BT, and the drop in FICO score.

Revolving utilization matters regardless of BT offer or not.  Maxing a card is a double hit.  Short term high utilization generally isn't an issue but prolonged high utilization can get you in trouble.  Make sure you consider how quickly you can pay down that balance.  Adverse action -- and not just from Barclay but any creditor -- is the bigger concern.  Your score will adjust as the utilization drops.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.