cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

0% APR ending...keep cards open or close?

tag
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Re: 0% APR ending...keep cards open or close?

@mjr2444 wrote:

My Chase Slate and Freedom 15-month 0% APR periods end in March. Would you guys advise to keep those cards anyways or close them?

It's up to you to decide based on your specific requirements.  You can't poll to determine that.  Despite comments above, it's also up to you to detemine if the Freedom's rotating categories would be of benefit to you or if you want to even deal with a rotator at all.  These are not universal matters.

Consider the info in the Closing Credit Cards thread linked in the Helpful Threads sticky along with your subjective considerations.

@pipeguy wrote:

I'd keep them open if for no other reason to stay in good graces with Chase

Keeping an account open does not keep one in good graces in and of itself.  One's entire credit profile matters.  If one qualifies to open a new account down the road then one will qualify.  Do not rely on the "relationship" meme.

Message 11 of 12
red259
Super Contributor

Re: 0% APR ending...keep cards open or close?

@takeshi74 wrote:

@mjr2444 wrote:

My Chase Slate and Freedom 15-month 0% APR periods end in March. Would you guys advise to keep those cards anyways or close them?

It's up to you to decide based on your specific requirements.  You can't poll to determine that.  Despite comments above, it's also up to you to detemine if the Freedom's rotating categories would be of benefit to you or if you want to even deal with a rotator at all.  These are not universal matters.

Consider the info in the Closing Credit Cards thread linked in the Helpful Threads sticky along with your subjective considerations.

@pipeguy wrote:

I'd keep them open if for no other reason to stay in good graces with Chase

Keeping an account open does not keep one in good graces in and of itself.  One's entire credit profile matters.  If one qualifies to open a new account down the road then one will qualify.  Do not rely on the "relationship" meme.

The OP asked for advice. Telling them it is up to them to decide and not to take polls is besides the point. OP is free to ask for advice and then make an informed decision. OP is not claiming they are going to do whatever someone says. The whole point of the forums is to ask questions and just given the variety of answers it is clear that one size does not fit all. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 12 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.