cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

0% APR how long is it okay to carry balance?

tag
frankietown
Established Member

0% APR how long is it okay to carry balance?

This is the first time I am carrying a balance, and not that I can't pay it all off immediately because I can, but I have around 50% balance in one card while 0% in the rest. How many months should I carry the balance to take advantage of the 0% APR? WIll carrying balance with CHASE be bad? Should I just pay it all off now?

AMEX BCE: $22000 | nov 2013 ### DISCOVER IT: $6500 | nov 2013
CHASE FREEDOM: $7000 | nov 2013 ### CHASE CSP: $7500 | nov 2013
us bank college: $1000 | feb 2013 ### boa partial secured: $5000 | april 2013
GARDEN TILL: 11/2013 - 3/2015 CAUSE I DONT NEED ANYTHING!
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

Re: 0% APR how long is it okay to carry balance?

You are fine with the banks as long as you are making your minimum payments on-time. Once the 0% ends, though, you will start paying interest. Thats ok to carry too, but you will be paying money at that time to carry it. I imagine that the reason for some banks doing 0% offers is because they make money when a small amount of customers don't plan and get caught at the end of the 0% term unable to fully pay off the balances. But you can do whatever you want, for as long as you want. Your balance will affect your total credit utilization for FICO scoring purposes, but thats about it. You might create unwanted attention if you are using a significant portion of your credit limit too... avoid this or get some more credit if this is the case.
EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 2 of 9
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

The impact is on utilization.  Utilization doesn't take introductory APR's into consideration.  Individual matters as well as total.  Generally recommended max is 30% but carrying 50% one one  card in the short term shouldn't be an issue if the others in your signature are at 0%.  You'd need to monitor to verify.

From an interest standpoint you can carry a balance as long as the introducty offer exists.

Message 3 of 9
GaTech
Frequent Contributor

@frankietown wrote:

This is the first time I am carrying a balance, and not that I can't pay it all off immediately because I can, but I have around 50% balance in one card while 0% in the rest. How many months should I carry the balance to take advantage of the 0% APR? WIll carrying balance with CHASE be bad? Should I just pay it all off now?

As long as you don't max out, pay the minimum every month you have 0% apr, it shouldn't be an issue. Just try to pay it all off before the promo  rate expires. 

As of 1/10/2014 EX FICO - 748. EQ FICO - 728. Trans FICO - 755

WellsFargo - $3,000 AMEX BCE - $18,000 Chase Freedom - $4,000

Message 4 of 9
tony46231
Contributor

I don't see an advantage to carrying the balance at 0%, if you have the funds to pay it off right now.  You're still getting your rewards whether you pay it off the day after you make the purchase or wait three months.    

Starting FAKO Score: 08/16/13 - EX: 702 EQ: 694 TU: 702
Starting FICO Score: 08/19/13 - EX: ??? EQ: 700 TU: ???
Lender Pulls: 02/28/14 - EX: 736 EQ: 716 TU: 748
Closed on 04/25/2014 - Loving it!
Message 5 of 9
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@takeshi74 wrote:

The impact is on utilization.  Utilization doesn't take introductory APR's into consideration.  Individual matters as well as total.  Generally recommended max is 30% but carrying 50% one one  card in the short term shouldn't be an issue if the others in your signature are at 0%.  You'd need to monitor to verify.

From an interest standpoint you can carry a balance as long as the introducty offer exists.

+1

The shorter the timeframe, the better.

Message 6 of 9
NotUsher
Contributor

@tony46231 wrote:

I don't see an advantage to carrying the balance at 0%, if you have the funds to pay it off right now.  You're still getting your rewards whether you pay it off the day after you make the purchase or wait three months.    

It could very well be a budgeting concern. Sometimes it can be helpful (or at least for peace of mind) to have a little extra cash on hand by not having to pay the entire amount right away.

As long as there's no immediate need for additional credit or fear of AA/FR, then using a 0% offer is perfectly fine.

This was part of the draw for my retail cards. I could have put my couch, coffee table, entertainment center, etc. on a regular revolver. However, that would've taken a nice bite out of my checking account. With the 0% on the card, I got to stretch out those purchases while investing the money that would've otherwise been eaten up by the purchase in something that returned far better than 0%.

I also got 5% rewards on top of the 0% financing, so I have 4 sets of nice towels that I effectively never paid for. Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 9
frankietown
Established Member

I'm just doing it to have the most fluid money at all times. Its mostly a budgeting/just-in-case-of-rainy-day strategy.

And yes I will be making more than the minimum payments multiple times a month whenever I have money. All other cards of mine will and always will be paid off because I am OCD in that sense. I wont need additonal credit for a long long time.. but I am in fear of AA/FR.. but what are my chances of that happening if I am always paying way more than minimum and never late? Probably low right?

If so, then I shall enjoy my 0% for now Smiley Very Happy

AMEX BCE: $22000 | nov 2013 ### DISCOVER IT: $6500 | nov 2013
CHASE FREEDOM: $7000 | nov 2013 ### CHASE CSP: $7500 | nov 2013
us bank college: $1000 | feb 2013 ### boa partial secured: $5000 | april 2013
GARDEN TILL: 11/2013 - 3/2015 CAUSE I DONT NEED ANYTHING!
Message 8 of 9
Jasir
Frequent Contributor

@tony46231 wrote:

As NotUsher pointed out, one benefit is budgeting and having cash on hand. Another benefit is to show the lender consecutive, on-time monthly payment ability without having to make a new purchase every month.

Frankietown, in regards to Chase specifically I maxed out my $1000 CL  with a $990 BT and am paying it off $100 a month to take advantage of a 0% APR. Chase has not CLD or taken any action against my account (which is now just 6 months old).

To echo what most are saying here, carrying a balance isn't a bad thing or even a red flag for most lenders (maxing out certainly can be a red flag, but not necessarily  a negative when you exhibit excellent repayment practices). It does affect your individual card and overall utilization which can lower your FICO score temporarily, but if you aren't apping for anything that shouldn't be a concern either.

Amex BCE: $2600 - Bank of America Cash Rewards: $4800 - Barclaycard Rewards: Jefferson Collections - Capital One Quicksilver: CO - Chase Freedom: C0 - Merrick Bank: $1400 -
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.