Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$0 balance, $0 available - should I close

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

$0 balance, $0 available - should I close

Hello All,

First post here on the site. I first want to say I wish I would have know of this long time ago. The site is awesome.

As the subject indicates, I have a card issued from CFNA in which is being reported as $0 balance, $0 available. It appears this account is still considered to be opened when reviewing my report, however, I do not get an available balance. I spoke to a CSR and was informed the available credit was zeroed due to past due payments which have been paid for over a year now. She said I was up for a review and asked if I wanted it, I agreed, however, I was denied. Now, from my understanding, the account is still open and is being reported in good standings, just $0 balance, $0 available.

With this being said, I have two questions if I may...

1)Should I try to contact someone via a backdoor number as some of you have shown to have been successful on?

2)Would there be an adverse effect if I just closed the card now and let the card just be history in terms of reporting?

I hope I stated myself clear enough for a response. If not, please let me know where the confusion is because I could use the advice.

Thank you!

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Re: $0 balance, $0 available - should I close

Welcome to the forums!

1.) Yes, you should try. Unfortunately, I don't have a backdoor number for CFNA. Someone else might know one.

2.) Please read the closing credit cards in my sig line

Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you fused. I actually did read that before I posted. Based on what I understood from reading that, this account is not helpin me by keeping it due to the fact it does not increase my overall available credit therefore not impact my UTIL (still learning all the abbreviations). Is my understanding incorrect?
Message 3 of 14
fused
Moderator Emeritus

With the way this account is reporting, the only that might be hurting your scores are the lates. Who is CFNA? Now you know an abbreviation that I don't know. LOL!
Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

CFNA = Credit First National Association

example : firestone

Message 5 of 14
mbrown75
Established Member

Is it reporting on your CR as a $0 CL? I've read that firestone/cfna doesn't report your actual CL but the highest balance you've ever carried as your CL instead. This is true for ours. We originally had a $1500 limit and used $1400 of it. We requested a CLI and was knocked back down to a $0 CL because of a baddie that showed up on my DH's report. It has now made it's way back up to $400 CL but on my DH's CR it still shows as a limit of $1400 which is the highest balance we carried.
Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nailed it fender..Firestone is the one as well.

Fused...the lates are what they are - valid. So, should I just keep it and maybe go back a little later and ask to review since the account is open and is in good status?

mbrown75, you are right. my apologies. It does show my limit as my high balance as well. My apologies. With that correction, should I just let it stand as it. Maybe it is not so bad afterall.

Message Edited by ABETRMAN on 01-30-2009 07:40 PM
Message 7 of 14
fused
Moderator Emeritus

ABETRMAN wrote:

Nailed it fender..Firestone is the one as well.

Fused...the lates are what they are - valid. So, should I just keep it and maybe go back a little later and ask to review since the account is open and is in good status?

Do you have any other open CCs in good standing. What are their reporting limits and balances?
Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

yes...

895/2000

1693/1800

2950/3000

2433/5500

I also have one that has been closed (due to late payments), but is still carrying a balance of 3264/5295..been debating if i should bite the bullet and pay it completely off or pay down the others while making the mins on this one...that was going to be my next post topic:-)

I think I am getting the UTIL% thing which is why I have put a focus on trying to lower the others in good standings. Other than those, I just have my car note and house note both of which are in pretty good standings. Student loans which are in deferment right now.

Message Edited by ABETRMAN on 01-30-2009 07:50 PM
Message 9 of 14
fused
Moderator Emeritus

You can try to go backdoor, but if it was me, I wouldn't bother. Your util is too high on your cards, and it's unlikely they will give enough of a CL to offset your high util. You might also waste a hard inquiry on your report.
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.