1 Additional Amex or 2?

tag
sillykitty1
Established Contributor

Re: 1 Additional Amex or 2?

@Jeff007245 wrote:

CLI -> BS -> Plat

Why?

- CLI doesn't hurt you and will only help you. It's not a HP from AMEX.

- Blue Sky being a revolver is harder to get than  a charge card

- See statement above

When applying for the new cards, do it on same day, same hour, same minute if you can. Good chance you will only get billed 1 HP.

2 reasons that makes me prioritize Plat --> CLI/BS

- I need airport lounge access for my job. I fly Delta almost exclusively and my Skyclub membership is expiring soon.  Delta is in the process of making major changes to the Skyclub access programs.  So at the current time the Amex Plat is the best option.  Since this is a job expectation, it is far more critical than a CLI or any other cards.

- My previous CO and subsequent CLI denial tells me that Amex is still a little leary of extending me credit.  So I'd rather not push the envelope with them.  If they're only willing to extend me $X in credit, I'd rather it be split between Plat & BCP, rather than all on my BCP.  If I get denied BCP CLI again, then I can wait another 90 days, won't kill me.

Message 11 of 18
sillykitty1
Established Contributor

So I apped this morning ... the results were puzzling!

Amex Plat - Approved

Amex Blue Sky  - Approved $10,000 CL

Amex BCP CLI $2,000 --> $6,000 - Declined

BCP decline reason was "You have previous delinquencies on your American Express account(s)."

I decided my priority was to go for the Blue Sky and increased AAOA before the the CLI on the BCP.  But is is surprising to me that Amex will give me $10,000 on the BS, and then nothing on the BCP.  I wonder if I had applied for the CLI before the BS, what the result would have been.  Just a curiosity, because long term the AAOA is more important to me, than a higher limit on BCP.

So do I got for a CLI in 90 days on the BCP, the card I actually use, or the BS, which is going into the sd?

Message 12 of 18
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@sillykitty1 wrote:

Amex Plat - Approved

BCP decline reason was "You have previous delinquencies on your American Express account(s)."

I decided my priority was to go for the Blue Sky and increased AAOA before the the CLI on the BCP.  But is is surprising to me that Amex will give me $10,000 on the BS, and then nothing on the BCP.  I wonder if I had applied for the CLI before the BS, what the result would have been.  Just a curiosity, because long term the AAOA is more important to me, than a higher limit on BCP.

So do I got for a CLI in 90 days on the BCP, the card I actually use, or the BS, which is going into the sd?

Do you have a previous delinquency history with Amex?

Message 13 of 18
sillykitty1
Established Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:

@sillykitty1 wrote:

Amex Plat - Approved

I do ... an unpaid charge off of about $2,000 12-14 years ago

Message 14 of 18
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@sillykitty1 wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:

@sillykitty1 wrote:

Amex Plat - Approved

From other posters, Amex will let you back in with a cc but the CLI's seem to be a no go with previous delinquencies.  

Message 15 of 18
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@sillykitty1 wrote:

@enharu wrote:
IDA and ARS mainly specializes in risk and fraud management. Most lenders report to them directly or indirectly, and some of them do use them as well, but not as heavily as US Bank.

Freezing them is free. You will most likely need to call them and then mail / fax the letter to them, depending on the state you are in. There are many blogs and threads on FT explaining how you should go around doing it, so hopefully that will help. I'm not too familiar with that, otherwise I would explain more Smiley Tongue

Found what I need to do on these.  Thanks for the heads up!

I also did not even know  these 2 companies existed until reading about the Club Carlson CC so I took the chance of ordering my reports end of the year. Curiosity!   ARS was a big shock for me ...amazing what kind of data they collect. (phone, email, IP, etc.)  After seeing my ARS report with an entry from US Bank for a "fraudulent app" 5 years ago there is only one solution = FREEZE that report! I never even applied for a US Bank card before in my life and seeing this entry will probably kill my plan to app for Cash+ Smiley Sad... just would love to know where the hell US Bank got this reporting from... anyway figured it is easier to freeze the report than try to correct the info on it. Smiley Sad ..wonder how many more of these reporting bureaus exist Smiley Surprised

--

Congrats on the approvals. I am really puzzled that you get 10K and the Plat but not the CLI on the card you already have ??

Does the Plat still offer lounge access? I thought they lost that priviledge.

Message 16 of 18
sillykitty1
Established Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:

@sillykitty1 wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:

@sillykitty1 wrote:

Amex Plat - Approved

From other posters, Amex will let you back in with a cc but the CLI's seem to be a no go with previous delinquencies.  

Which I would understand if they hadn't given me $10,000 right out of the starting gate on a Blue Sky

Message 17 of 18
sillykitty1
Established Contributor

@lg8302ch wrote:

@sillykitty1 wrote:

--

Congrats on the approvals. I am really puzzled that you get 10K and the Plat but not the CLI on the card you already have ??

Does the Plat still offer lounge access? I thought they lost that priviledge.

Thanks ... I'm confused as well .....

Plat still offers lounge access to Delta Sky Club longes.  But starting soon, for the card holder only, guests must pay extra.  I fly Delta almost exclusively, so for me the Plat is a better option than buying Sky Club access from Delta.  Plat loses access to AA & USAir lounges starting March 22.  For me that is a minor loss, but for AA or USAir flyers I can see how it will be a deal breaker.

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.