Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1% UTL better than 9% or same?

tag
twist7d7
Regular Contributor

Re: 1% UTL better than 9% or same?

@avv7c0 wrote:
In that last situation, you'd be penalized for having balances on multiple cards.

only one card would report a balance in thos situations. i was asking how much ballance i could report.

AMEX PRG (NPSL) Lowes (10k) CSP (7.2k) AMEX BCE (6k) Cap1 QS (3.5k) Citi DC (2.6K) BofA (2.5K)M&T Bank visa (2k) Discover iT (1800) Slate (1k)
Future Cards Sallie Mae, US Bank Cash+, Freedom
Goal increase CLs by 20k in 2015
Message 11 of 18
avv7c0
Regular Contributor

Oh sorry, I didn't see the "or" for the 252 balance. The 1-9% is total util across all cards, but you'll also want to ensure that whichever card you report that the $252 for example is not more than the individual FICO threshold for a single card. I think you see a score drop at 40%, 60% and 90%, but these are just generalities based on what we see... Not set in stone.

Also, as stated, everyone has their own sweet spot for their unique credit profile. I have to keep my reported balance at 11% in order to see the best score. My score drops with anything below that. So you'll have to experiment.
----------------------------------------------------------
Fico Scores:
EQ - 811 (Feb '14)
TU - 829 (Mar '14)
EX - 814 (Mar '12) - Lender Pull
Message 12 of 18
twist7d7
Regular Contributor

@avv7c0 wrote:
Oh sorry, I didn't see the "or" for the 252 balance. The 1-9% is total util across all cards, but you'll also want to ensure that whichever card you report that the $252 for example is not more than the individual FICO threshold for a single card. I think you see a score drop at 40%, 60% and 90%, but these are just generalities based on what we see... Not set in stone.

Also, as stated, everyone has their own sweet spot for their unique credit profile. I have to keep my reported balance at 11% in order to see the best score. My score drops with anything below that. So you'll have to experiment.

This is going to kill me. i wish credit was simple 

AMEX PRG (NPSL) Lowes (10k) CSP (7.2k) AMEX BCE (6k) Cap1 QS (3.5k) Citi DC (2.6K) BofA (2.5K)M&T Bank visa (2k) Discover iT (1800) Slate (1k)
Future Cards Sallie Mae, US Bank Cash+, Freedom
Goal increase CLs by 20k in 2015
Message 13 of 18
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

It is fairly simple: 30% max, ~10% ideal.  Instead of relying on specific balances keep the percentages in mind.

Message 14 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

As other posters on this thread have stated, it is unique to each of us. I have experimented and my best amount is 1.5% based on a thick file. Why, I don't know but over two years of playing with it keeps on yielding the same amount of utilization generates my highest scores. It is certainly possible this will change as my file changes. There is a lot written about FICO buckets and utilization on this website. You may want to explore other threads. In my reading there is an amount of utilization that yields the highest scores. For me it has been validated.

Message 15 of 18
user5387
Valued Contributor

Might depend on what bucket you're in.

I think it's fallacious to assume that there are magic "right" values for FICO scoring events.

Message 16 of 18
HiLine
Blogger

I don't know where the sweet spot concept comes from. 1% is better than 9% period.

Message 17 of 18
-Wade-
Valued Contributor

@NikoD wrote:

I'm new to learning about FICO scoring so I have a question about how utilization factors into the scoring. I've read here that below 10% is best but does that mean that for scoring purposes it doesn't matter if it is 1% or 9%, just as long as it's below 10%. After you get below 10% is further lowering better for the score? Also, is 0% bad because it looks like the credit isn't even being used?

@i get my best score @1%

"Garden Club Member " Old user name newportguy*** Current Score: myFico EQ - 830 (07/16/2015) Discover TU Fico - 833 (09/03/2016) EX Fico - 839 ( 09/01/2016 ) ******* Amex - BCP 11.5K * Discover - IT 43.5 K * U.S. Bank Cash + Visa Signature 15.3 K * PenFed - Cash Rewards 15K *PenFed Power Cash 19K ** Amex - GDSM 10K ******FICO 800 Club Member ******* EQ 830 *** TU 833 *** EX 839 ***
****** Last HP & New TL was March 6th 2014 *** GOAL: No HP's or New TL's for 2 + years and 840's Scores ******
Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.