Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1-day late AMEX payment?

tag
dowel911
Established Member

1-day late AMEX payment?

Just got off an overnight flight and found my SPG AMEX was due yesterday! AGH! So mad... I called immediately and made a payment, but the rep said that the payment would show as being late within the AMEX system, but not reported to credit buearus.

Will this negatively impact my ability to do 6 month CLI with my SPG AMEX card? 

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: 1-day late AMEX payment?

Possibly but I doubt it. How long have you had the account open?

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 2 of 13
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

My advice would be to sign up for auto pay on that account.

That way, at least the minimum would be paid on the due date, in case you forget in the future.

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 3 of 13
dowel911
Established Member

Just set up autopay. Was such a silly mistake. Too much travel stress and it just got overlooked. They don't care about excuses of course.

I've had this acct since Sept 2012. Always PIF or <10% util
Message 4 of 13
erictownsen

@webhopper wrote:

My advice would be to sign up for auto pay on that account.

That way, at least the minimum would be paid on the due date, in case you forget in the future.

Great advice

I have all my credit cards on autopay no matter what because there is times I too did forget 3 days late payment with different creditor but there was no sweating on their part.

I believe Amex will not hold that 1 day late against you in reference to CLI.So, you should be fine I believe.

Message 5 of 13
birjest
Frequent Contributor

Yep, it will.  I had a lad day on my Zync, and paid it in full a few days later.  That is correct, it do not report to the CRB, but if you ever want to app for another AMEX card, you will be denied, atleast for the next 6 months. 

5/30/15 EQ 596; TU 605; EX 580.
12/18/17 EQ 646; TU 660; EX 674.
7/30/23 EQ 708; TU 703; EX 721.
Message 6 of 13
dowel911
Established Member

I'm done with AMEX ever since my fiasco with not getting my MR sign up bonus for the PRG card. SPG is nice for hotel stays when traveling. Will use my PRG for gas and groceries until the next AF is due and probably dump it. Probably keep Zync just because its inexpensive.
Message 7 of 13
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Yeah, I'd say your cli approval will hinge on the next six months of being on time.
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 8 of 13
Open123
Super Contributor

Unfortunately, with Amex, they will assuredly hold it against you.  However, it will be meaningless once enough time passes.

Message 9 of 13
SAIDFICOMUSTBEASCAMLOL
Valued Member

@Open123 wrote:

Unfortunately, with Amex, they will assuredly hold it against you.  However, it will be meaningless once enough time passes.

Very true. My closing date was switch because it was Feb. 4 months later, they cancelled my account, stating that I made late paymentS. My payment was made 2 hours late. LOL.

This came after spending triple to quad my hard limit. I tried to reinstate...they said no due to the fact that I had a hard limit in the past. Unfortunately for me, AMEX was using a 2 year old 4506-T. 

You would think a bounce check would be worse...

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.