cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1 secured cc with big amount vs. 2 secured cc with equal balances?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

1 secured cc with big amount vs. 2 secured cc with equal balances?

I am intending on getting a secured credit card with a CL of $1000.00 or would it be better to have 2 secured cc's (one from my bank and one from my credit union) or does it only matter that I manage what I have well?  Does anybody know?  Thanks in advance for your help!  Just wondering if 2 positive credit files would look better than 1 positive credit file, either way they are both gonna total a credit line of $1000 (together). 

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

Re: 1 secured cc with big amount vs. 2 secured cc with equal balances?

@Anonymous wrote:

I am intending on getting a secured credit card with a CL of $1000.00 or would it be better to have 2 secured cc's (one from my bank and one from my credit union) or does it only matter that I manage what I have well?  Does anybody know?  Thanks in advance for your help!  Just wondering if 2 positive credit files would look better than 1 positive credit file, either way they are both gonna total a credit line of $1000 (together). 

Both are good options.   If your long term plan is to have have CC from both institutions then I would do 2 cards.   Two tradelines are gernerally better than one for building credit.    On the other hand, if you are more concerned about size of future credit limit, then I would do one for a $1000, which might help get you a larger unsecured CL. .

Managing them well is key, regardless of your choice.   

Message 2 of 3
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: 1 secured cc with big amount vs. 2 secured cc with equal balances?

@Wolf3 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Both are good options.   If your long term plan is to have have CC from both institutions then I would do 2 cards.   Two tradelines are gernerally better than one for building credit.    On the other hand, if you are more concerned about size of future credit limit, then I would do one for a $1000, which might help get you a larger unsecured CL. .

Managing them well is key, regardless of your choice.   

+1 and if this is your only tradeline I would consider a store card or something... 3 tradelines seems to be the best nunber for improving scores

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.