cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1 year AAoA.. $9,500 Citi Forward approval!!

tag
fastfire667

1 year AAoA.. $9,500 Citi Forward approval!!

Hi all,

This is my first post here and I wanted to take a moment to thank you all for your help. I have been lurking these boards for the past 6 months and have learned sooo much! I started my credit journey a little over a year ago. I bank with Chase, so I went in and applied for a Freedom card. Denied. I applied online for a Discover Student card. Denied. After that denial, I realized it was going to be hard to get someone to take a chance on someone with zero credit history. I applied for a Student Visa card from a credit union in Washington state and was approved for a 1k limit. I have pumped 1-2K per month through the card, always paying in full. After I started lurking these boards, I decided I needed another card to help build some history. So 4 months ago I applied for a Citi Dividend Student card. I wasn't denied, but they wanted me to verify address, identity etc. I decided not to follow through with it. I figured I would just swallow the HP and let me AAoA hit a year before I apped for anything else.

So, last night I decided to pull the trigger on the Citi Forward Student card. I checked my FICO's this past week, all were in the low 700's with the only history the credit union Visa that I have had for a little over a year. After I apped, I got the dreaded "call to verify your info" message and figured I was denied. This morning I called them back, and after verifying my name, address, DOB, phone number etc. the lady put me on hold for 15 minutes. I was just about to hang up when she came back to tell me that I had been approved and with a $9,500 limit!! I was speechless. I was hoping to get maybe 1.5K-2K if approved, but I was NOT expecting such a high limit. I am so excited!

A couple of questions:

1.) Do you guys think my credit limit was a mistake? I asked if she had meant to say $950 and she said no, it was indeed $9,500. I have never heard of a student card with such a high limit. Do you think they approved me for the normal Forward card instead of the student version? I am a full time college student and make about 20K a year.

2.) What should my next step be? My ultimate goal was to get the AMEX Delta Sky miles or another airlines card with a large signup bonus. I have also wanted the Forward ever since I apped for it over a year ago. The Zync is also appealing to get my foot in the door with AMEX. What would you do if you were me? Will having such a high credit limit with Citi make other card issuers more likely to approve me for prime cards?

Thanks for your help guys, you are all awesome!!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Re: 1 year AAoA.. $9,500 Citi Forward approval!!

The limit in itself does not increase approval chances but will likely result in higher limits granted initially. Don't think you are Amex revolver ready. Give citibank account 3 months of reporting and Amex zync should work. 6 months of zync use, I bet Amex revolver good too. For other prime lenders, probably need aaoa over at least 1 year and cu card to go over 2 years.
               LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 2 of 4
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Btw, not sure of Citibanks pc policy. Might want to look into that.
               LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 3 of 4
logan_720
Established Contributor

If you don't mind me asking, what was the CU you used? I only ask because I obtained a card through my Cu about a year ago, and they discontinued the card Smiley Mad So the only way for me to get a CLI would require me to app for a completely new card.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.