Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1 year of business swipes; V/MC/AX/DISC data:

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: 1 year of business swipes; V/MC/AX/DISC data:

BBS: Great post!

I see people are talking about debit whereas your post mentioned credit card transactions, are both included in your figures?

Also, any idea what fraction these are of all transactions, i.e. what is the breakdown between "some card (debit or credit)" and "cash"?

Thanks

Message 11 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

I see people are talking about debit whereas your post mentioned credit card transactions, are both included in your figures?

Also, any idea what fraction these are of all transactions, i.e. what is the breakdown between "some card (debit or credit)" and "cash"?

Thanks

That would be my question.  If the totals include debit transactions ,which I know are very big at restaurants, than that changes what the numbers represent quite a bit.

Message 12 of 41
Discover2016
Valued Contributor

Interesting snapshot! I have noticed that most debit cards that I have seen are Visa. I also have noticed quite a few people paying with debits cards at eateries. Interestingly, Citi debits cards are mastercards and CapOne seems to be issueing more cards as mastercards now, including the Venture.

Gardening until September 2025
Next app: Mortgage in September 2025
Message 13 of 41
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

Thanks

That would be my question.  If the totals include debit transactions ,which I know are very big at restaurants, than that changes what the numbers represent quite a bit.

Agreed. 

Back when I still used debit, even when PIN was available I always ran my card as 'credit', so even if the restaurant is PIN capable the Visa figures likely still include quite a bit of debit-as-credit customers.

nicethread.gif

Message 14 of 41
elim
Senior Contributor

wow!! Poor disco!

Amex I can understand (with their overpriced swipes). I charted your results, eeeek...

cfgyghujhjijh.jpg

Message 15 of 41
Discover2016
Valued Contributor

I also remember last summer, I had dinner at Old Homestead steakhouse in Manhattan and I noticed that both tables on either side of me paid with Amex Platinums! Guess what I used to pay for dinner? My Amex green! That was right before I PC'd to the Platinum.

Gardening until September 2025
Next app: Mortgage in September 2025
Message 16 of 41
redpat
Senior Contributor

WTH is a Debit card again?

Funny Friday!!!!!!

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 17 of 41
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@redpat wrote:

Funny Friday!!!!!!

Used to get required number of swipes for reward checking of course....

Message 18 of 41
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@longtimelurker wrote:

@redpat wrote:

Funny Friday!!!!!!

Used to get required number of swipes for reward checking of course....

Yeah but that's even more niche than rewards credit card chasing Smiley Happy.

I suspect there are debit cards in there, but it's not lost on me that the overwhelming majority of my credit cards are Visa; I didn't plan previously for that, but I went a little out of my way to pick up two MC's recently (First Tech and downgrading to a Quicksilver), and that struck me as more than slightly odd.

        
Message 19 of 41
galahad15
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I've only banked at 4 places in my lifetime (Comerica, Bank of America, PNC and a Credit Union) and I've never noticed that they have all been Visa's. Do banks even do Mastercard debits?

The distance between Visa and Mastercard is pretty grand. Nice datapoints Smiley Happy

Yup, my local Citibank branch issues MC debit cards.

Message 20 of 41
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.