Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

10% Cash Back on Gas, Grocery & Restaurants with Sears MC

tag
CribDuchess
Established Contributor

10% Cash Back on Gas, Grocery & Restaurants with Sears MC

I received an email from Sears today - it was another 10% cash back offer on gas, grocery & restaurant purchases in April through June.  Naturally, I activated the offer right away.  I was excited about the 5% cash back on grocery using my Freedom this quarter, but 10% is twice as nice!  There is a minimum spend of $1,000 per month, but I don't think we will have a problem meeting that spend since my DH and my son are both AUs on my Sears MC.

I've received similar cash back offers from Sears in the past.  I'm going to miss these offers if/when Sears goes out of business!

Sears 10-percent cash back offer-apr 17.JPG

FICOs: TU08 842 EQ08 850 EX08 850

My Wallet: Amex Gold NPSL; Amex Optima Platinum $25K; Amex BCE $12K; Apple Card $20K; BofA Travel Rewards Visa Sig $67.6K; Cap1 Quicksilver Visa Sig $10K; CSP $28.2K; Chase Freedom $13K; Chase Freedom Unlimited $21.4K; Citi Costco Visa $19.3K; Citi Double Cash $13.5K; Citi Simplicity Visa $23.3K; Discover IT $50K; Fidelity Visa $25K; NFCU Flagship Visa Sig $40K; NFCU More Rewards Amex $30K; PenFed Plat Rewards Visa Sig $50K; Sears MC $10.1K; US Bank Altitude Go Visa Sig $20K; US Bank Cash+ Visa Sig $26K; Wells Fargo Rewards Visa Sig $14K
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
MJ-san
Frequent Contributor

Re: 10% Cash Back on Gas, Grocery & Restaurants with Sears MC

Got that one again today... $200 nov-dec for online purchases, almost $300 for grocery and restaurants Jan-Mar... now again Apt-Jun. I've been using the hell out of my Sears MC - and I'm sure that's the plan... get us use to using this card so when Sears is gone we continue to use it. Note the new cards are now branded "Shop Your Way" cards without a Sears logo on them.
Message 2 of 13
steelers1
Frequent Contributor

That is agreat offer.

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Very NICE!!

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Between those 3 categories I could spend 1k in a month. Smiley Happy

I have a question is the Sears MC always an MC or is it upgraded from a store card? Considering applying.
Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is this desperation to try to avoid bankruptcy? lol

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

According to the various financial journals Sears is likely past bankruptcy as the supplying vendors want up front money for goods (note the ever growing empty shelves in their stores) and Sears investors don't want Sears selling any more assets that could be used to pay vendors in the event of death. Sears cash needs forecasted for 2017 and 2018 are at $2 billion dollars and no one is stepping up to fund them (no one dumb enough to put air in a sinking ship). Sears like Montgomery Wards would not keep pace with the market place (you will buy goods our way - they used to get away with it) so they effectively shot themselves in the head. Macys is not far behind with JC Penney. As we all know many small store retail chains and sporting good stores are feeling the same ill wind of dying retail. We grossly over stored (built) America and the shake out is going to be more than a slight business adjustment.

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

According to the various financial journals Sears is likely past bankruptcy as the supplying vendors want up front money for goods (note the ever growing empty shelves in their stores) and Sears investors don't want Sears selling any more assets that could be used to pay vendors in the event of death. Sears cash needs forecasted for 2017 and 2018 are at $2 billion dollars and no one is stepping up to fund them (no one dumb enough to put air in a sinking ship). Sears like Montgomery Wards would not keep pace with the market place (you will buy goods our way - they used to get away with it) so they effectively shot themselves in the head. Macys is not far behind with JC Penney. As we all know many small store retail chains and sporting good stores are feeling the same ill wind of dying retail. We grossly over stored (built) America and the shake out is going to be more than a slight business adjustment.

I've read the opposite of that on both of the financial websites I read, Motley Fool and Seeking Alpha, both of which have continued to discuss a Sears bankruptcy looming as recently as Friday.

Message 8 of 13
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@MJ-san wrote:
Got that one again today... $200 nov-dec for online purchases, almost $300 for grocery and restaurants Jan-Mar... now again Apt-Jun. I've been using the hell out of my Sears MC - and I'm sure that's the plan... get us use to using this card so when Sears is gone we continue to use it. Note the new cards are now branded "Shop Your Way" cards without a Sears logo on them.

The new cards no longer even have the Sears brand on them?  That's telling, indeed...

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

lowkeyorca I confirm that there is information on a potential bankruptcy circulating by Sears (read your sources and others). What I was desirous of saying was that the vendor/suppliers were not jumping up and down for joy since they would probably not get full payment for their goods. They also were not interested in Sears taking bankruptcy and selling assets to raise cash to continue them while they try to save themselves. The vendor/suppliers want full payment and do not see Sears as a viable retail store going forward. Several have put Sears on a cash basis or cut them off (empty shelves in the stores). The retail world sure is not forgiving today. As you are well aware, a great many store chains have or are reducing the number of outlets they have. Some have even admitted they can't go on. As we look ahead Macys, JC Penneys, Kohls, Gander Mountatin and Cabela's? are having challenges to their market. Again as you are well aware Walmart, Amazon and some other late entries are looking to corner the online market. Like many banks that went away over the last several years retail is having the biggest shakeout I have seen in 70 years. Yes, the market was overbuilt by retail but I never thought we would see what we are seeing. As part of a group that developed a very large Outlet Mall we knew it was about roof tops and us being the destination for shoppers. Anything less and we would perish. We also knew we needed name brand stores that appealed to the current retail market whatever that was to establish and maintain traffic. If we became lazy the luster wore off and shoppers found other locations to spend their money which would lead to our potential demise. Having cut my teeth on the first indoor shopping mall ever bult in 1956 "Southdale" located in Edina Minnesota I am not happy to see the era of Malls come to an end. Indoor Malls when it is snowy, cold and so on are so much more pleasant that strip malls (my view).

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.