Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

10 reasons Why I think one $10K card is better than 5 at $5K each

tag
Fico2Go
Established Contributor

10 reasons Why I think one $10K card is better than 5 at $5K each

1:  I can focus on using the card that offers the best reasons to use...ie.. rewards, apr, bonus, etc;.

2  Less headache shuffling between cards

3: Spending does not as easily impact UTIL;

4: Shows other providers you can handle higher limits and breeds higher limits;

5  Gives you greater peace of mind in that you won't go over the limits as easily;

6:  In the case of multiple cards with same provider, I think there's no additional value in having more than one or two due to the fact that it's difficult to increase UTIL on all cards without getting CLDs or account closure.  It doesn't make sense to have a bunch of cards from the same provider when you won't be able to use the limits without also getting a shutdown.  How many times have we heard someone say they've had all their card shutdown because of "one" thing related to another card with the same provider?  Basically, having a $5K credit line over five cards ( $25K combined limits )  is not at all better than having one card with $10K limit.

7:  Thick wallets can lead to spinal issues in later years;

8:  Easier to get higher CLIs.  Asking for a 10% CLI seems easier than asking to double a lower limit say $1000.

9:  More cards increase risk of loss and risk of fraud;

10:  More difficult to convince lenders to give CLIs when/if they see too many accounts with lower limits.

Without being tagged as a pessimist, I do believe the only and biggest reason for having multiple cards at lower limits is the added cushion provided with UTIL.   But that's about it and even  that can be overcome with just a few high limit cards.

Discover IT $19,000 == 12/2013
AMEX 12/2013 ---BCP $12,000 === BC $23,000 ----- 04/2014
CHASE SLATE $5,700 === 12/2013
BoA 123 $6000 === 12/2013
Barclay Rewards $1500 == 12/2013
Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: 10 reasons Why I think one $10K card is better than 5 at $5K each

@Fico2Go wrote:

1:  I can focus on using the card that offers the best reasons to use...ie.. rewards, apr, bonus, etc;.

5  Gives you greater peace of mind in that you won't go over the limits as easily;

6:  In the case of multiple cards with same provider, I think there's no additional value in having more than one or two due to the fact that it's difficult to increase UTIL on all cards without getting CLDs or account closure.  It doesn't make sense to have a bunch of cards from the same provider when you won't be able to use the limits without also getting a shutdown.  How many times have we heard someone say they've had all their card shutdown because of "one" thing related to another card with the same provider?  Basically, having a $5K credit line over five cards ( $25K combined limits )  is not at all better than having one card with $10K limit.

7:  Thick wallets can lead to spinal issues in later years;  -

8:  Easier to get higher CLIs.  Asking for a 10% CLI seems easier than asking to double a lower limit say $1000.

10:  More difficult to convince lenders to give CLIs when/if they see too many accounts with lower limits.

Without being tagged as a pessimist, I do believe the only and biggest reason for having multiple cards at lower limits is the added cushion provided with UTIL.   But that's about it and even  that can be overcome with just a few high limit cards.

#7 made me laugh and many of your points are valid

Message 2 of 22
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Fico2Go wrote:

If you only have one card, you have to pick carefully, because it is impossible to "optimize" rewards. The reward structure on that card is it.

Only one card with one CCC can work. The shutdown risk with multiple cards depends on the actions of the cardholder: Having multiple cards is not the trigger, the behavior of the cardholder, and the interpretation by the bank algorithm is the reason.

So, which one card are you going to end up with? Because if you say one $10k is better, that's fine. The real test is, can you get down to one card to walk the talk? Smiley Tongue

Edit: It's not going to be the Discover or one of the AMEX, because they aren't accepted everywhere. The Slate (stale) has no rewards at all, so it can't be that one, and the BofA is only $6k. So, which one is it Smiley Happy

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 3 of 22
Fico2Go
Established Contributor

@Fico2Go wrote:

I would also add that another reason for my wanting to risk a HP on a new lower limit card is for the signup bonus.  And the sign up bonus would need to be greater than $450 in value. 

Message 4 of 22
baller4life
Super Contributor

IMO it is never a good idea to only have one card. What happens if the card gets compromised,or lender decides to close card for whatever reason? Diversity is crucial. You never want to put all your eggs in one basket.

Message 5 of 22
Fico2Go
Established Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

@Fico2Go wrote:

If you only have one card, you have to pick carefully, because it is impossible to "optimize" rewards. The reward structure on that card is it.

Only one card with one CCC can work. The shutdown risk with multiple cards depends on the actions of the cardholder: Having multiple cards is not the trigger, the behavior of the cardholder, and the interpretation by the bank algorithm is the reason.

So, which one card are you going to end up with? Because if you say one $10k is better, that's fine. The real test is, can you get down to one card to walk the talk? Smiley Tongue

Edit: It's not going to be the Discover or one of the AMEX, because they aren't accepted everywhere. The Slate (stale) has no rewards at all, so it can't be that one, and the BofA is only $6k. So, which one is it Smiley Happy

The rule of 80/20 probably applies here too.  I will use the card where 80% of my spending is at.   The other 1-2 would be backup cards in case of decline or technical issue with network.  For me right now, 80% of my spending are in grocery and gas. 

I may lose out opportunities on the 20% but I think spending time on the 20% has opportunity cost or takes away effort from something else.

Message 6 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

i agree with baller4life.

Message 7 of 22
Fico2Go
Established Contributor

@baller4life wrote:

IMO it is never a good idea to only have one card. What happens if the card gets compromised,or lender decides to close card for whatever reason? Diversity is crucial. You never want to put all your eggs in one basket.

I am sorry for not making it clearer.  I don't mean to carry only one card.  I meant to focus on using one card/your best card.   You are correct.. one should always carry backup but even then backup to me means 1-2 cards.

Message 8 of 22
sillykitty1
Established Contributor

I think this would work for someone who values simplicity over maximizing rewards.  But if one is motivated by rewards, this strategy leave a lot of money on the table.

Also, using 1 - 10K CL so "Spending does not as easily impact UTIL", assumes very low monthly spend.  For myself and many others, i'd be maxing out or going over that limit every month

Message 9 of 22
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

Sorry, but your argument doesn't make any sense to me. Perhaps you need to restate it.

You need to have at least 3-5 cards to establish and maintain a strong credit report. And its not like you can start off requiring a $10k limit on your credit cards.

I've obtained 13 credit cards, 3 of which are now closed. Of those 13, only 2 started at 10k or more. I now have 5 of 10 cards at 10K or more. And in another 1-2 months I'll have a reasonable shot at getting 2 of the remaining 5 cards to 10k via soft pull credit limit increases.

Now, having said all that, the real reasons to have multiple cards are to get more rewards, whether sign up bonuses, cash back or travel rewards. And the individual credit limits don't have a direct bearing on how many rewards you get, just on how many times per month you have to pay off your cards.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.