Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$1000 Amex cards never getting CLI?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

$1000 Amex cards never getting CLI?

I have a SPG and Gold delta card that I got at the same time 15 months ago. At the time my EX score was about 650. Over the course of the last year I tried a CLI on each when my score was over 680 and zero balance on the cards and have never been approved for any CLI nor have I received an auto CLI. I’ve made sure to use between $100-300 monthly and pay it off monthly. I also have a delta plat card that started at $1400 but I did receive a 2x cli 4 months ago on that one. Aré Amex SL of $1000 stuck forever?
I have a ritz card with $15k and CSP with $10k
Message 1 of 97
96 REPLIES 96
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: $1000 Amex cards never getting CLI?

If you received an increase on your Delta 4 months ago, you are not elible for another increase for at least 2 more months. One increase per 6 months per total accounts.
Message 2 of 97
Anonymous
Not applicable

Very curious about this myself. I have read a lot that the 500 to 1,000 starting likes on the Amex are harder to grow but that they do. Eventually.
Message 3 of 97
jetsfan2013
Frequent Contributor

I hope this isn't the case as I just received a 1k Gold Delta offer.

Road to rebuilding starts soon
Message 4 of 97
Anonymous
Not applicable

My DH got a BCE and a SPG on 3/8/17 and 3/30/17 respectively.  Both were issued at $1000 SL.  He has tried ever since to get a CLI with no luck.  I am an authorized user on his SPG and have my own BCP issued 5/3/17.  My BCP was also issued at $1000 SL.  I too have been unable to get a CLI (3x or otherwise) on my card.  In fact, I just chatted with AMEX online to ensure I was eligible for CLI (answer from chat rep = yes).  I tried for CLI again - no dice.  

I am wondering if I were to remove my authorized user status from my DH SPG - if I might have better luck?  Are all the 3X CLI's for persons who's scores are above 700 - or whom have less than 10% utilization - or who pay the full balance each month instead of the statement balance??? 

We did do quite a bit of work to our scores over the past year - which included getting rid of old predatory cards and replacing them with good ones - a mortgage with a realistic rate, and a car loan update.  Maybe that all has them spooked?  Maybe it's that my EX score is only 7 points higher than when I got the card....  I don't know.

Either way, I guess in the grand scheme of things it doesn't really matter... we know we need to age and grow our current accounts, so we will both just keep trying every 90 days - I just wondered if anyone had any insight.

Message 5 of 97
Anonymous
Not applicable

What's your reported aggregate utilization?  Any individual cards reporting more than 48% utilization?

I didn't try for an Amex card until my EX FICO8 was 701 or so, so I don't have any experience with their cards in the 600s, but if you're carrying high utilization, it doesn't surprise me if they're afraid to give more credit, especially with chargeoffs being higher than past years.

Message 6 of 97
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Very curious about this myself. I have read a lot that the 500 to 1,000 starting likes on the Amex are harder to grow but that they do. Eventually.

Yes, this is common.

I think there might be a difference between getting a $1,000 limit on a file with baddies vs. getting a $1,000 limit simply because your history is short and thin. We have a member here who started in the $1,000 range, but it was because his history was less than a year old. He's had no issue getting a couple of 3X CLIs, though.

Message 7 of 97
Anonymous
Not applicable

I starter with an Ed card 3/2017.  My starting limit was 1K.  I have tried two times for CLI, both times denied.  Both times they stated because I had a BK (12/10) on file.  After the first denial, I did not use the card for about eight months.  When I finally used the card, I got an immediate 1K increase.  I requested the second increase in Nov, that was also denied.  I will not use the card for another eight months and see if I will get another increase.

I am pre appoved for other cards, but at this time cannot justify another card.  

Message 8 of 97
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does anyone have an experience with closing a $1k Amex and applying for a new card?
Message 9 of 97
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would only try that if my scores have increased alot.  I've seen on here where some people have 2 or 3 cards, with 1K limits.

Message 10 of 97
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.