Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

10k Card

tag
dapps06
Frequent Contributor

10k Card

I've been waiting for an old charge off and collection to drop off my reports, last week I disputed these items on my TU report and they were removed. Bumped my TU score 31 points up to 696. These accounts are due to fall off no later than July anyway, but I still like trying to get them removed early, I've disputed them with Equifax as well, Experian is usually good about removing things early so I haven't bothered with them yet.

I'm expecting a 20-30 point boost from the other two bureaus when these accounts disappear, bringing me near 700 across the board. When this happens I want to apply for a card that I have a chance of receiving a 10k limit on. Here's a run down of my remaining credit profile minus these accounts:

1. One remaining negative item, a five year old settled auto loan with several missed payments

2. 9-11 inquiries on my profiles, last one in December.

3. Eight credit cards, five with zero balance. Those with balances are...

- Amex Everyday - 260/1000

- Chase Freedom - 3400/4200

- Cap 1 QS - 2366/3000

Had several things hit me at once two weeks ago, my six month auto insurance renewal, new tires and brakes needed for the car as well as a few other maintenance issues, and some new components for my PC (I work from home and need a working PC). This all added over 2k that I wasn't planning on spending to my CC debt. I requested a CLI with Amex yesterday, waiting to hear back. I also emailed Chase about an increase on my Freedom but they said it would be a hardpull so I passed, Amex was only a soft pull. Also applied with Cap 1 since it was a softpull and was denied because my payments have been too low.

4. Oldest accounts are roughly 10 years old and my AAofA is 4-5 years per profile.

5. Student loan debt of around 32k, in deferment.

There are other closed accounts, all positive, but this makes up the majority of my profie. My income is only 35k, given this information is there any provider that would offer me a 10k limit? I'm only going to apply for a card if I can get that limit or near it, so I was hoping you guys could give me some good advice on this matter. Again, I won't be applying until the charge off and collection account fall off the other two profiles in the next month or two (or sooner I hope), but I wanted to get a good idea before hand what my options might be.Thanks for reading.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

Re: 10k Card

@dapps06 wrote:

I've been waiting for an old charge off and collection to drop off my reports, last week I disputed these items on my TU report and they were removed. Bumped my TU score 31 points up to 696. These accounts are due to fall off no later than July anyway, but I still like trying to get them removed early, I've disputed them with Equifax as well, Experian is usually good about removing things early so I haven't bothered with them yet.

I'm expecting a 20-30 point boost from the other two bureaus when these accounts disappear, bringing me near 700 across the board. When this happens I want to apply for a card that I have a chance of receiving a 10k limit on. Here's a run down of my remaining credit profile minus these accounts:

1. One remaining negative item, a five year old settled auto loan with several missed payments

- Cap 1 QS - 2366/3000

Had several things hit me at once two weeks ago, my six month auto insurance renewal, new tires and brakes needed for the car as well as a few other maintenance issues, and some new components for my PC (I work from home and need a working PC). This all added over 2k that I wasn't planning on spending to my CC debt. I requested a CLI with Amex yesterday, waiting to hear back. I also emailed Chase about an increase on my Freedom but they said it would be a hardpull so I passed, Amex was only a soft pull. Also applied with Cap 1 since it was a softpull and was denied because my payments have been too low.

4. Oldest accounts are roughly 10 years old and my AAofA is 4-5 years per profile.

There are other closed accounts, all positive, but this makes up the majority of my profie. My income is only 35k, given this information is there any provider that would offer me a 10k limit? I'm only going to apply for a card if I can get that limit or near it, so I was hoping you guys could give me some good advice on this matter. Again, I won't be applying until the charge off and collection account fall off the other two profiles in the next month or two (or sooner I hope), but I wanted to get a good idea before hand what my options might be.Thanks for reading.

You could try for an AMEX and ask for the 3XCLI soon after and then months after that..CL can get high quickly with AMEX. When I got my BCP, my income was 42k and they gave me 9.4k to start..it's at 15 now. Only had the card since Christmas..

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Don't know if it is still going on, but CapOne was giving very large limits with their Venture card. It might be worth trying. If it works out, you could transfer the limit to your Venture One or PC it to Venture One. 

Additionally, I see you have two QSs. Why don't you try shifting the limit from one to the other. If you consolidate them, you would then have a $6.5k card, which will affect the limits on your future cards. 

Message 3 of 9
dapps06
Frequent Contributor

@mitchblue wrote:

@dapps06 wrote:

- Cap 1 QS - 2366/3000

You could try for an AMEX and ask for the 3XCLI soon after and then months after that..CL can get high quickly with AMEX. When I got my BCP, my income was 42k and they gave me 9.4k to start..it's at 15 now. Only had the card since Christmas..

I tried the 3x CLI with my current Everyday and BCE cards in January, was turned down for both because I wasn't using the cards enough. Applied for an increase again last night on their site, said I would receive a letter, is this an auto denial? I really don't want to have to use a card for a few months to get the 10k limit, I was hoping there would be a lender out there who would give me one, or close, right off the bat. If that's not realistic, I have no problems waiting for a bit, but I figured if it is then someone on here would probably know about it and point me in the right direction.

Message 4 of 9
dapps06
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Don't know if it is still going on, but CapOne was giving very large limits with their Venture card. It might be worth trying. If it works out, you could transfer the limit to your Venture One or PC it to Venture One. 

Additionally, I see you have two QSs. Why don't you try shifting the limit from one to the other. If you consolidate them, you would then have a $6.5k card, which will affect the limits on your future cards. 

Cap One doesn't let you combine limits, I've tried many times Smiley Happy

I would love to transfer the limits on three of my four cards to the one QS I use, and close the others, but not possible at the moment. The Cap 1 EO told me that even they have been requesting that Cap 1 start allowing this. I did check their pre qual page yesterday and the Venture popped up after I put in my info, so maybe I'll try that. Thanks for the reply.

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Your best shot at a $10K limit is going to either be a credit union or the Venture. I can't see anybody else giving you a SL that high with your profile.

Message 6 of 9
dapps06
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Your best shot at a $10K limit is going to either be a credit union or the Venture. I can't see anybody else giving you a SL that high with your profile.

Okay, thanks. I may try the Venture then since multiple people have recommended it now. Even if I can get 7.5k I would be happy, it's only for utilization purposes that I want one more card. I wanted a Discover but considering how conservative they are I really don't want to apply for a card that will only give me 1k or so.

Message 7 of 9
dapps06
Frequent Contributor

Thank you to those who recommended the Venture. I've been checking the Cap 1 pre qual section for a couple of months now and this card kept showing up. I really didn't want any new inquiries but tonight I decided to apply and was approved for this card with a 10k limit. Just what I wanted. 17.9 percent interest but that's fine for now. I like that the card doesn't have a transfer fee, but with no intro 0 percent deal I prob won't transfer any balances for now. Also, this means I can finally get rid of my Plantinum Prestige, only has a 1k limit and now is completely useless to me.

Message 8 of 9
taxi818
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Cap one does not consolidate. Cancel the lowest limit then go for venture. But for best results. Amex is onky way to go. 3x cli. Then every 6 months. 3 x cli will go fast. From 3k to 10k to 22 k in 8 months. Keep balancs low. And inquiries minimal. You will be fine. But those two cards youngot maxed out must be lowered first. 

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.