cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

12% Off Giftcards this Saturday. EAT THAT BCP LOVERS!

tag
fastfire667

12% Off Giftcards this Saturday. EAT THAT BCP LOVERS!

As many Discover card holders here already know, this Saturday cardmembers can sign up to receive an additional 2% cash back on all purchases. This is in ADDITION to any quarterly bonus for online purchases and Shop Discover bonuses. As some may already know, the 5% cashback this quater for online purchases EXCLUDES discount stores and wholesale clubs. I saw a thread a couple days ago where it was reported that Walmart doesn't qualify for this bonus because it is coded as a discount store. I had to post to let everyone know that this is INCORRECT. Yes, it is true, if you make a purchase in a brick and motor Walmart, it is coded as a DISCOUNT STORE on your statement. However, I make purchases on Walmart.com through Shop Discover nearly every week for their 5% cash back, and can assure you guys that Walmart.com is coded as DIRECT MRKTNG-COMBO CATALOG & RETAIL. This means that Walmart.com IS eligible for the quarterly bonus!

Anyways, so this Saturday, any purchases made through Walmart.com will earn you 5% quarterly bonus + 5% Shop Discover Bonus + 2% One Day Only additional bonus= 12% back on ANYTHING! However, if there isn't anything you want at Walmart at this point, just buy anything around the value of gift card that you want. Purchase the item and then return it to customer service. They will ask if you want it refunded to your credit card or to a gift card. Say you want a gift card. So just like that, BOOM 12% off a Walmart giftcard.

Most, if not all Walmarts, sell many gift cards to other stores and services. I can personally confirm that Walmart gift cards can be used to purchase these. So in essense, you can get either 12% off anything at Walmart, 12% off a Walmart giftcard, OR 12% off any other giftcard that Walamrt has in stock. Hmm the possibilities....

Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
scientifics
Frequent Contributor

Re: 12% Off Giftcards this Saturday. EAT THAT BCP LOVERS!

@fastfire667 wrote:

However, if there isn't anything you want at Walmart at this point, just buy anything around the value of gift card that you want. Purchase the item and then return it to customer service. They will ask if you want it refunded to your credit card or to a gift card. Say you want a gift card. So just like that, BOOM 12% off a Walmart giftcard.

Most, if not all Walmarts, sell many gift cards to other stores and services. I can personally confirm that Walmart gift cards can be used to purchase these. So in essense, you can get either 12% off anything at Walmart, 12% off a Walmart giftcard, OR 12% off any other giftcard that Walamrt has in stock. Hmm the possibilities....

I feel like this is unethical. While no one will stop you, I just wouldn't feel right doing this. Does anyone else agree with me?

Message 2 of 25
DeadSpider
Frequent Contributor

Isn't the WHOLE point of rewards is to save, save, save ?

I say go for it $1000 gift card for $880 who doesn't want that ?

Message 3 of 25
SwampSystems
Frequent Contributor

@fastfire667 wrote:

As many Discover card holders here already know, this Saturday cardmembers can sign up to receive an additional 2% cash back on all purchases. This is in ADDITION to any quarterly bonus for online purchases and Shop Discover bonuses. As some may already know, the 5% cashback this quater for online purchases EXCLUDES discount stores and wholesale clubs. I saw a thread a couple days ago where it was reported that Walmart doesn't qualify for this bonus because it is coded as a discount store. I had to post to let everyone know that this is INCORRECT. Yes, it is true, if you make a purchase in a brick and motor Walmart, it is coded as a DISCOUNT STORE on your statement. However, I make purchases on Walmart.com through Shop Discover nearly every week for their 5% cash back, and can assure you guys that Walmart.com is coded as DIRECT MRKTNG-COMBO CATALOG & RETAIL. This means that Walmart.com IS eligible for the quarterly bonus!

Anyways, so this Saturday, any purchases made through Walmart.com will earn you 5% quarterly bonus + 5% Shop Discover Bonus + 2% One Day Only additional bonus= 12% back on ANYTHING! However, if there isn't anything you want at Walmart at this point, just buy anything around the value of gift card that you want. Purchase the item and then return it to customer service. They will ask if you want it refunded to your credit card or to a gift card. Say you want a gift card. So just like that, BOOM 12% off a Walmart giftcard.

Discount stores, including Walmart, do not qualify for the 5% quarterly bonus.

Message 4 of 25
Cory
Established Contributor

@scientifics wrote:

@fastfire667 wrote:

However, if there isn't anything you want at Walmart at this point, just buy anything around the value of gift card that you want. Purchase the item and then return it to customer service. They will ask if you want it refunded to your credit card or to a gift card. Say you want a gift card. So just like that, BOOM 12% off a Walmart giftcard.

I feel like this is unethical. While no one will stop you, I just wouldn't feel right doing this. Does anyone else agree with me?

+1. I totally agree with you on this one. This is the reason why the credit card companies are now getting smart, placing tiers and caps on credit card/bonus programs as they must have realize there are to many loopholes to be exploited. And to top it off, it being posted on this public forum, where most everybody, including the credit card companies and their representatives come on and read.

Message 5 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

About this being unethical... I think that case could be made a lot more if the person interested in doing this was doing it for CASH (i.e. no receipt return, ect.) However, if for just a giftcard, I don't really see the issue with this... Discover gets a hefty CC transaction fee from the purchase (probably still more than the cashback amount that people will actually redeem)... Walmart gets business no matter what because of the gift card. I'm not trying to start a flame war or anything like that, I'm merely trying to bring an alternative point of view to how you look at it.

Message 6 of 25
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

Keep in mind the 2% is only on the first $250 in spending.

I do not see this an unethical and do not see how anyone could. I do wonder why you would buy an item instead of a gift card. Do they not sell gift cards online? Other stores do this too but obviously do not do it too often as they will catch on.

@Cory wrote:

+1. I totally agree with you on this one. This is the reason why the credit card companies are now getting smart, placing tiers and caps on credit card/bonus programs as they must have realize there are to many loopholes to be exploited. And to top it off, it being posted on this public forum, where most everybody, including the credit card companies and their representatives come on and read.

They place caps because if they did not they would lose money, even from non churners. Regular people can spend 1500 on groceries a month, without even trying to milk the rewards program. So if Chase did not have the cap, they would lose a lot more money than they already do by having the 5%. Everyone knows about these tactics; all it takes is a little common sense. The credit card companies know about them too, but if you do not do it too often, they will not care.

Message 7 of 25
MarcinXP
Frequent Contributor

I agree...I don't really see anything unethical with this. If Discover allows 5% on department stores which I don't think Walmart would qualify for anyway, but say it does and then 5% on top of that and then 2% on Oct 6th then it's legit...Discover could care less what you buy from Walmart whether it's a $1000 gift card or $1000 TV.

If you return that TV to walmart and they give you a Walmart gift card that is fine as well...you will do business with them again.

Now if Walmart lets you use their gift card to buy a Amazon, Best Buy or Gas gift card that's their stupid policy and its on them. Personally they are losing money anyway on that deal but then again they could simply just give you money back on your discover if you return an item.

In any case...that's too much hassle and hope that everything works fine as advertise for a small gain. Hoping that discover will pay the 5% on walmart, then hoping that your transaction posts on Oct 6th to get 2%, hoping that the CSR at walmart will give you a gift card rather than just refunding back to your card and saying ooops...I did not know you wanted this on gift card...and then hoping that walmart will let you buy gift cards with gift card..

NFCU Visa Sig $30k / Amex Blue Cash $25.5k / Fidelity Amex $25k / Chase Freedom $14.5k / Citi Double Cash $5k / Capital One Quicksilver Visa Sig $5k / Citi Best Buy MC $3K / Barclay Rewards MC $2.95k / BOA - BBR $2.5k / SY Lowes $15k / SY Amazon $6k / Target RedCard - $300
Message 8 of 25
fastfire667

You guys are missing my point. Walmart.com is coded differently that the brick and motor stores. Walmart.com is coded as Direct marketing while brick and motor purchases are coded as discount stores. That is the only reason this works.

I am curious where you saw that the 2% bonus is limited to $250? It doesn't say that in the terms and conditions, and numerous people have posted that they spoke with Discover reps who said there was no cap and that the 6th is basically a "free spend" day.

While yo are right that you can purchase Walamrt gift cards online, gift card purchases are not eligible for the shop discover 5% bonus. On top of that, most items on Walmart.com can be ordered and paid for online, then picked up in store an hour later. Gift cards are not eligble for pick up today, so you need to have them shipped to your house which takes another week to do.

In regards to the ethicality, I don't see how this is any different than BCP cardholders buying tons of gift cards to other stores at their grocery store in order to get 6% back on those purchases. Nobody seems to bat an eye at that practice.

Oh and btw I'm a college student, so every dollar saved is well worth the effort for me Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

And you've confirmed that you received 5% cashback from Walmart.com already? Would this work with Target.com as well?

Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.