cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

12% Off Giftcards this Saturday. EAT THAT BCP LOVERS!

tag
DeadSpider
Frequent Contributor

Re: 12% Off Giftcards this Saturday. EAT THAT BCP LOVERS!

Yes you can buy gift cards with walmart gift cards.

Forgot about $250 cap at 2%.

Message 11 of 25
firesoul453
Contributor

Don't forget that giftcards bought through shopdiscover don't count.

"

• Offer not valid on gift certificate purchases
  • Offer not valid on shipping, taxes, or other service fees
  • Offer is not valid in combination with any offers found outside ShopDiscover
  • Must link to retailer site from the ShopDiscover Web page found at Discover.com and use your Discover card for each transaction
  • Offer is subject to change, including termination, without notice
  • Merchants may change their prices at any time; Cashback Bonus is calculated on the merchant site price if different from what is seen on ShopDiscover
  • The promotional Cashback Bonus will be applied to your account within 8 weeks

"

And in the terms...

"

Cardmembers who participate in a Cashback Bonus Program will receive the specifiedCashback Bonus on ShopDiscover purchases made with your Discover Card in connection with these promotions during valid promotion dates in addition to yourCashback Bonus of up to 1% on each purchase. We are not responsible for merchant delays in processing transactions. Promotional reward will be applied within 8 weeks. See Terms and Conditions for full details. Offer valid only when you link to retailer site from the ShopDiscover Web page found at Discovercard.com and use your Discover Card. These offers are not valid in combination with any other offers. These offers are subject to change, including termination without notice. Cashback Bonus is not eligible on returned items purchased through ShopDiscover. Offer is not valid in combination with any other offers found outside of ShopDiscover.

"

So you might be able to get 7% cah back on $250 of gift cards one time on that day.

But discover has plenty of things inplace ti make it really really hard to abuse this, I wouldn't feel bad at all for maxing out my rewards.
My ultimate credit wish,
a JP Morgan Palladium card
Message 12 of 25
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

I was looking at the birthday month 2% instead of October 6, sorry. So I may just use their card at Macys tomrrow. Anyway, I think people are saying it is unethical to buy something with the intentions to return it to get a gift card. Since a giftcard does not earn the bonus, you have to buy the item insead. The shop still gets their money since it is being returned to a giftcard so all should be okay in the end.

The thing that concerns me is that it says the purchases must post to the account October 6. No card posts purchases the same day so really you would have to  spend today to get it to post tomorrow. Some cards will not post transasctions over the weekend either. Maybe just being an authorised charge will be enough.

Message 13 of 25
Jlu
Established Contributor

@scientifics wrote:

@fastfire667 wrote:

However, if there isn't anything you want at Walmart at this point, just buy anything around the value of gift card that you want. Purchase the item and then return it to customer service. They will ask if you want it refunded to your credit card or to a gift card. Say you want a gift card. So just like that, BOOM 12% off a Walmart giftcard.

Most, if not all Walmarts, sell many gift cards to other stores and services. I can personally confirm that Walmart gift cards can be used to purchase these. So in essense, you can get either 12% off anything at Walmart, 12% off a Walmart giftcard, OR 12% off any other giftcard that Walamrt has in stock. Hmm the possibilities....

I feel like this is unethical. While no one will stop you, I just wouldn't feel right doing this. Does anyone else agree with me?

HELL NO. If you think for a second that I care about the likes of JP Morgan Chase, Discover, American Express etc you are INSANE. I use them & abuse them every chance that I get because you know what? They wouldn't think twice about cutting off your balls if it made them a profit. They are not extending you credit because they think you are a nice guy, they are lending to you in hopes you slip up so they have the chance to jack your rate up to 29.99% and hit you with a $35 late fee. That is how they make money. If vultures were a company they would be credit card companies. That's what they are. So no, I don't feel bad for one second - FAHHCK THEM!

AMEX BCP $35k | Citi Double Cash $30k | PenFed PlatRewards $25k | Barclaycard $40k | Chase Freedom $25k | BofA Cash Rewards $40K | US Bank Cash+ $4500 | Discover IT $25k | NASA Platinum-Advantage $40k | CapOne Quicksilver $15k | Amazon Card $10k | Ten years on myFICO from 510 to 780 scores
Message 14 of 25
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

@Jlu wrote:

HELL NO. If you think for a second that I care about the likes of JP Morgan Chase, Discover, American Express etc you are INSANE. I use them & abuse them every chance that I get because you know what? They wouldn't think twice about cutting off your balls if it made them a profit. They are not extending you credit because they think you are a nice guy, they are lending to you in hopes you slip up so they have the chance to jack your rate up to 29.99% and hit you with a $35 late fee. That is how they make money. If vultures were a company they would be credit card companies. That's what they are. So no, I don't feel bad for one second - FAHHCK THEM!

Really if you get the penalty rate and the fee you brought it on yourself so I do not think they should be blasted for that. Anyway, I would advise not to abuse Chase too much. They are probably the most well known for shutting people down who are churners or cycle their credit limit multiple times a statement. They even say when applying for a new card that if they determine you are just opening accounts for bonuses they will not give it to you and will possibly close other accounts.

Message 15 of 25
Cory
Established Contributor

@navigatethis12 wrote:

Keep in mind the 2% is only on the first $250 in spending.

I do not see this an unethical and do not see how anyone could. I do wonder why you would buy an item instead of a gift card. Do they not sell gift cards online? Other stores do this too but obviously do not do it too often as they will catch on.

@Cory wrote:

+1. I totally agree with you on this one. This is the reason why the credit card companies are now getting smart, placing tiers and caps on credit card/bonus programs as they must have realize there are to many loopholes to be exploited. And to top it off, it being posted on this public forum, where most everybody, including the credit card companies and their representatives come on and read.

They place caps because if they did not they would lose money, even from non churners. Regular people can spend 1500 on groceries a month, without even trying to milk the rewards program. So if Chase did not have the cap, they would lose a lot more money than they already do by having the 5%. Everyone knows about these tactics; all it takes is a little common sense. The credit card companies know about them too, but if you do not do it too often, they will not care.

Your point is well taken. However, excessive abuse of the programs are what causes the credit card companies to rethink their strategy and lower the caps and tiers even more. I can't personally say who is being ethical or unethical here without the complete picture. But I can tell you that no one needs to be taught how to use their credit cards unethically. From the comments following the topic, you have mixed emotions about this conversation. Some don't see it as any harm, and others say, yes I know that these practices could amount to harm, but don't care. I learned that what I see as harm, or call moral, others don't see it that way and are looking at the situation from another viewpoint. So who is right, and who is wrong? I guess nobody.

Message 16 of 25
scientifics
Frequent Contributor

@fastfire667 wrote:

You guys are missing my point. Walmart.com is coded differently that the brick and motor stores. Walmart.com is coded as Direct marketing while brick and motor purchases are coded as discount stores. That is the only reason this works.

I am curious where you saw that the 2% bonus is limited to $250? It doesn't say that in the terms and conditions, and numerous people have posted that they spoke with Discover reps who said there was no cap and that the 6th is basically a "free spend" day.

While yo are right that you can purchase Walamrt gift cards online, gift card purchases are not eligible for the shop discover 5% bonus. On top of that, most items on Walmart.com can be ordered and paid for online, then picked up in store an hour later. Gift cards are not eligble for pick up today, so you need to have them shipped to your house which takes another week to do.

In regards to the ethicality, I don't see how this is any different than BCP cardholders buying tons of gift cards to other stores at their grocery store in order to get 6% back on those purchases. Nobody seems to bat an eye at that practice.

Oh and btw I'm a college student, so every dollar saved is well worth the effort for me Smiley Happy

I still feel like that's gaming the system, hence Amex putting a $6k cap on the 6% for groceries per year (starting in January). After the $6,000, it goes down to 1%.

Message 17 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Too bad Amex couldn't have found someway just to exclude gift card purchases at grocery stores from the 6% bonus rather than having to cap all purchases. Really unfortunate for families that make >$500 in grocery a month.

Message 18 of 25
FrugalRican
Blogger

Pass.

Was waiting to make a purchase from Amazon on Saturday. Thought about doing it on Walmart for "this".

But I'll take the 7% cashback on a 50 dollar purchase, more than the 12% cashback on a 60-65 dollar purchase.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 19 of 25
DeadSpider
Frequent Contributor

You can also buy Amazon gift cards at Supermarkets with your BCP if you got one at 6% off.

Message 20 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.