Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

13-Month PC Time Stipulation Question

tag
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

13-Month PC Time Stipulation Question

Hello all,

The card act stipulates waiting 13 months before you can PC to a higher fee card. As I understand it, there is conflicting answers on whether this applies to charge cards. I have had an AmEx Gold for 8 months. I plan to upgrade to the Platinum because of higher travel needs in 2014, and I also understand that if I wait until the Gold's AF posts, I will have to pay the Platinum's AF as well. My question is if the backdating of my card (1988), does this negate and/or satisfy the 13 month waiting period? Thank you all for your help.

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: 13-Month PC Time Stipulation Question

The backdating of your card does not satisfy the waiting period. The lender will have your actual account opening date. As far as upgrades, you can double check but most have reported it as a no go.
Message 2 of 6
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

If you did pay the AF with Gold and then upgraded they would pro-rate the AF back on Gold Card... Amex is fantastic about stuff like that.

Message 3 of 6
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:
The backdating of your card does not satisfy the waiting period. The lender will have your actual account opening date. As far as upgrades, you can double check but most have reported it as a no go.

Thanks Lexie for your prompt reply. I suppose the only way is to close the Gold and re-apply for the Platinum. I don't think I want to do that though...Smiley Sad.

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 4 of 6
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

If you did pay the AF with Gold and then upgraded they would pro-rate the AF back on Gold Card... Amex is fantastic about stuff like that.

Hey CA,

Well, that would be great! I will call and see what they say. Thanks again.

Message 5 of 6
essexjet
Contributor

I just called AmEx last week about this and it is a 13 month wait...no expections unless you want to apply. 

2/21/19 Fico's: EQ 651 - TU 666 - EXP 670
4/4/19 Fico's: EQ 744 - TU 763 - EXP 758

AMEX Platinum: NPSL / DCU $3000 / Barclaycard Apple Visa $2700 / Firestone $1200 / Credit One Bank $1100 / Walmart $8000 / Capital One $500 / Chase United Explorer $5000 / Discover IT $1500 / NFCU $1500 / Sams Club $7500
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.