Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$150 hold at gas station. Disco

tag
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

Re: $150 hold at gas station. Disco

If I was to pay cash for my gas, it would cost me about $.11 more per gallon right now, because I would lose my 5%. I will not go to any station that charges extra for a credit card.

I really don't care about the hold amount... it could be $1000 for all I care. Lol
NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 21 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

cash... It's those pieces of paper that our government issues willy-nilly...
Message 22 of 39
zerofire
Valued Contributor

Every gas station picks their own hold amount. Clearly this station which is part of Stop & Shop finds that Discover users fill up a lot and have a higher chance of bouncing. You have to remember that holds are there to guarentee that funds are there and since credit card users usually don't care since they only get charged the correct amount in the end making the limit high only messes with debit card users and those with low ceilings. That is why for debit cards they usually set it at $50 as a convenience. The pumps are actually connected quite well most of the time so they can update the charge as soon as you finish pumping or within 15min.

TU:837 09/19/23 Bank of America--EX: 841 09/20/23 Experian--EQ:832 09/21/23 myFICO--Gardening since N/A
Active:
Bank of America (Unlimited Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards VSC), Capital One Walmart WMC, Chase(Amazon Prime VSC, Freedom Flex WEMC [x2], Freedom Unlimited VC), Citi Dividend MC, Citizens GreenSense MC, Curve WEMC, Discover It C, FNBO Ducks Unlimited VSC, PenFed (Platinum Rewards VSC, Pathfinder Rewards VSC), Synchrony Bank PayPal Cashback MC, UMB Bank Simply Rewards VC[Milford Federal], US Bank (Altitude Go VSC, Cash+ VSC [x2], Pick n Save/Metro Market WEMC)
Wishlist: AAA Daily Advantage Visa, AOD Signature, Bellco Colorado Rewards, Citi Custom Cash, EBates, Nusenda Platinum Cash Rewards, Ollo Optimum, Redstone Signature, Security Service Power Travel Rewards, Vantage West Connect Rewards
Message 23 of 39
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

PAY CASH FOR GAS!!!!!!

It's also cheaper...

Many times thats not the case - BJ's gives 10 cents a gal off with the BJ's CC and there are many cards that kick 2-3%  back on Gas. Wawa gives 25 cents a gal back for the first several months on their card, therafter 5 cents. Yes some placrs like Exxon offer 3 to 6 cents a gal cheaper with cash, but most stations don't. For someone that drives a lot, I usually fill up 3X a week, 2% 3% 5 cents 10 cents, etc is a big deal for using cards. 

Message 24 of 39
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@pipeguy wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

PAY CASH FOR GAS!!!!!!

It's also cheaper...

Many times thats not the case - BJ's gives 10 cents a gal off with the BJ's CC and there are many cards that kick 2-3%  back on Gas. Wawa gives 25 cents a gal back for the first several months on their card, therafter 5 cents. Yes some placrs like Exxon offer 3 to 6 cents a gal cheaper with cash, but most stations don't. For someone that drives a lot, I usually fill up 3X a week, 2% 3% 5 cents 10 cents, etc is a big deal for using cards. 

The local Costco (card only) averages 14% less than competitors' credit prices...and that's before I earn 4% back with the Costco card.

The biggest hold I've seen was $125 on my Discover at a Circle K.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 25 of 39
RJCE
Valued Member

With my Amex card, the gas station holds $100. With my Venture Card, the same gas station holds only $1.

Message 26 of 39
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

How would I know I got a hold? Does it tell me at the pump or would I have to go online to notice it? And how long does a hold last? Thanks.

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 27 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mitchblue wrote:

How would I know I got a hold? Does it tell me at the pump or would I have to go online to notice it? And how long does a hold last? Thanks.

Need to go online and look at your account.

Message 28 of 39
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@mitchblue wrote:

You'd see a separate pending charge online that disappears in a few days without actually posting. It's similar to what hotels do for extras a person might request, or room damage.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 29 of 39
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@mitchblue wrote:

Need to go online and look at your account.

Thank you. I use my PENFED for gas and I never noticed before.. i'll have to check online next time I get gas.

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 30 of 39
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.