Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

18 Year Old Building Credit?

tag
chalupaman
Super Contributor

Re: 18 Year Old Building Credit?

@CoreyGSHS wrote:

It's like how in the hell do these creditors expect the young ones with no credit to get cards whenever they can't even be approved for them in the first place! Cat Indifferent

Oh well, prayers & fingers crossed he calls me to give the good news that I got approved for that Cash Rewards card. If not, I'll put in an app for Capital One. It kills me everything I think about "putting apps in" because I know my little-to-nonexisting credit score is taking a punch. 

Thankfully those inquries won't affect your score that much after around 6 months or so so I wouldn't stress out about it.

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 21 of 42
CoreyGSHS
New Contributor

Thanks for the little bit of relief. Smiley Happy Much appreciated. 

Message 22 of 42
DarkMoonLily
Frequent Contributor

Just call the credit analysts on Monday like Creditaddict suggested. 

2019 Goals: Garden and Clean up Credit Reports!!!
2020 Goals: Get a Secured Card and Auto Loan.
Message 23 of 42
14Fiesta
Established Contributor

@CoreyGSHS wrote:

Well guys, rainy day today for me....

Applied online at Bank of America's website for the BankAmericard Cash Rewards for Students and the BankAmerica Cash Rewards Signature Visa and was both turned down, or told that "the decision can not be made at this time. " Ughh... Should I go ahead and try Capital One now? Smiley Sad 

Hmmm, I agree with what others are saying about waiting until you can call, but If you applied for a Visa Sig, they usually require a minimum $5K credit line to be extended to the borrower, which as your first card with no credit history is way beyond your "credit worthiness". I'd say wait until you hear back from them again, but in the case that it doesn't quite work out, I would consider this. If you are planning to go to college next year (assuming you are an 18 year old HS Senior), I would wait until you get accepted into a college, and get something like a schedule of your classes you are going to take. Then I would go out and apply for a student card the the Discover IT for students (They seem to be lenient with builders with no previous history at all - I was approved for mine with no history and 2 INQ on my reports already). Also, alot of times the waiting message doesn't mean a denial. When I applied for my Discover, I got the 5-7 day wait message and did nothing (no recon). After about 3 days I got an email from Discover saying congrats, I was approved. Good luck, and keep us updated! Smiley Happy

EX FICO (AMEX): 728 (4/29/17) | TU FICO (Discover): 737 (4/7/17) | EQ FICO (Citi): 746 (3/28/17)
Message 24 of 42
DieGo2SHAE
Regular Contributor

@CoreyGSHS wrote:

Thanks for the little bit of relief. Smiley Happy Much appreciated. 

Just wanted to chime in here to reassure you a bit as well since I was one of the people that posted about my first card being the BofA cash rewards card. I didn't start my credit journey until last year (when I was 22), but when I turned 18 I got tricked into applying for a cc from jc penney (sales person made it sound like i was just signing up for the store rewards thing, I didn't know how to say no). I was, of course, denied, but that had no effect on when I actually got in the know about credit and went about it properly 4 years later. It wasn't like I had to wait 4 years, I just never cared about credit until last year and I got started right on time, managing to open all the cards in my sig in less than one year and coming out with a credit score over 730. So no worries. Call the recon line tomorrow and see what happens, but if it doesn't pan out then don't go beating yourself up about it either. You're young and have a looong time to get this right. Smiley Happy

May 2013 | June 2013 |Sep 2013 | Dec 2013 |May 2014 | May 2014 | May 2014| April 2015 | April 2015 | April 2015 | April 2015
Message 25 of 42
Airforcekid
Established Member

I would look into any credit unions you are eligible for nfcu gave me a $3500 limit unsecured without any history 6 months later I'm close to $20,000 in avalible credit.
NFCU Cashrewards $3,500| Navcheck $7,500| Discover IT $500| AMEX $6000| CS:724
Message 26 of 42
CoreyGSHS
New Contributor

OMG, you guys!! 

So I woke up to call Bank of America "Credit Services" and explained to them that I recently applied for the BoA Cash Rewards card and of course you had to give them all the personal info, yada yada yada. She said that there is an account that is opened (which was activated today) and I had a CL of $700! My card should come in the mail within 5-7 days, I was told! 

Message 27 of 42
CoreyGSHS
New Contributor

Thank you guys for being there and holding my head up whenever I was in doubt! You were right, just call the service line whenever they are available! That didn't automatically mean it was the end of the world! (AKA: not get approved!) 

Message 28 of 42
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@CoreyGSHS wrote:

OMG, you guys!! 

So I woke up to call Bank of America "Credit Services" and explained to them that I recently applied for the BoA Cash Rewards card and of course you had to give them all the personal info, yada yada yada. She said that there is an account that is opened (which was activated today) and I had a CL of $700! My card should come in the mail within 5-7 days, I was told! 

perfect!

now sit on that card for 6 months until you generate a Fico score and you should be good to go for your first mini app spree!

Message 29 of 42
watch44
Frequent Contributor

@CoreyGSHS wrote:

OMG, you guys!! 

Congrats! 

(Hover over pics for details) 
FICO:  TU 731 (05/14/14)   EX 749 (04/24/14)   EQ 684 (02/05/14)   Goal 700
FAKO:  TU 761 (05/20/14)   EX 761 (05/20/14)   EQ 743 (05/20/14)
Message 30 of 42
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.