cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

18 Year Old - Seeking Credit Advice :)

tag
mnavas
Frequent Contributor

Re: 18 Year Old - Seeking Credit Advice :)

It takes time to build credit but hey you're 18 when i was your age i had no idea what credit was

My credit journey started at 22 (late huh?) and yeah  it's been a great experience. It was kind of tough in the beginning because the only thing i could get without secure deposits was a Macys store card with a Credit limit of $100 and then i signed up for two secured cards. One was the Cap 1 and the other one was a Wells fargo card. I had those cards for about 18 months and then i decided to close them because they never graduated to insecured. Anyway look at my signature how much progress i've made in these 3 years. I even started to build some business credit, i was approved for a $10,500 Chase Ink last week

Message 11 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Start a mint account. Live and breath your mint account. Set all your credit cards to be due in the same day. Let only 1-10percent report. And set up auto minimim payment justo ncase you forget.

Message 12 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Your thinking is top notch. Spending money you don't have is the best way to ruin your credit. Secured cards are the best way, imo, to build from nothing. The au will also help, if the account is in good standing. Also, monitor the utilization on your mother's discover. The higher it is, the more it will hurt your score. Personally, I think paying in full, each month is the best way to go. Good luck on your journey.

Message 13 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Your thinking is top notch. Spending money you don't have is the best way to ruin your credit. Secured cards are the best way, imo, to build from nothing. The au will also help, if the account is in good standing. Also, monitor the utilization on your mother's discover. The higher it is, the more it will hurt your score. Personally, I think paying in full, each month is the best way to go. Good luck on your journey.

If you don't mind, could you give me a brief explanation about what utilization is? I think I have an idea, but i'd rather someone explain it me. Sorry, i'm still learning! Smiley Sad Haha. 

Message 14 of 21
chalupaman
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

If you don't mind, could you give me a brief explanation about what utilization is? I think I have an idea, but i'd rather someone explain it me. Sorry, i'm still learning! Smiley Sad Haha. 

Basically just because you get a card with a certain limit doesn't mean you should ever try maxing it out or spending near the limit of what they give you. Ideally for optimum FICO scoring, it's typically best to let one card report at less than 10% utilization and pay in full after it reports. If you have a card that has a 500 dollar limit, you should let 50 dollars or less report and PIF on that and etc.

Unless you're applying for new cards or trying to get some kind of auto loan or mortgage, I wouldn't obsess over your FICOs too much. Just make sure that you keep the accounts in good standing, don't max them out or only make minimum payments, all that sort of stuff and you should be fine.

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 15 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@chalupaman wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Basically just because you get a card with a certain limit doesn't mean you should ever try maxing it out or spending near the limit of what they give you. Ideally for optimum FICO scoring, it's typically best to let one card report at less than 10% utilization and pay in full after it reports. If you have a card that has a 500 dollar limit, you should let 50 dollars or less report and PIF on that and etc.

Unless you're applying for new cards or trying to get some kind of auto loan or mortgage, I wouldn't obsess over your FICOs too much. Just make sure that you keep the accounts in good standing, don't max them out or only make minimum payments, all that sort of stuff and you should be fine.

That clears it up, Thanks! I've known about this rule for a while actually, but the number people always told me was never charge more than 30%? Anyways, I only plan to use the secured card once I do get it for small purchases, and pay it off at the end of the month, maybe paying for lunch here, gas there, etc. Of course i'll now follow this 10% rule once I do get my secured card! 

Message 16 of 21
kdong1996
Regular Contributor

The amount you charge at a time doesn't really matter. I've had months where I've had to PIF 3 times before my statement cut. After you get your card check what the closing date is and for the first 2 months or so actually let it report a higher utilization 20-40% then pay it down and let less than 10% report. You want to show the CCCs that you can use your credit wisely at this point rather than obsessing with your FICO score.

Message 17 of 21
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

These links may help on your credit journey. Welcome to the forum any questions feel free to personal message me if you don't want to post your question on the forum. The only dumb question is the question never asked.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Veni-Vidi-Vinci-Visa-or-How-to-Master-Your-MasterCard/m...

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/User-Guidelines-General/Common-Abbreviations/m-p/88458

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 18 of 21
MT936
Established Contributor

Pay on time and then over time increase your amount of available credit to get your utilization down i started when i was 17 im 21 now you will get there in no time good luck Smiley Happy

Amex Blue Cash Everyday: $25,000 | Navy FCU Cash Rewards: $25,000 | Discover It: $20,500
Chase Freedom: $12,500 | Citi Double Cash: $10,000 | Bank of America Cash Rewards: $8,000

Message 19 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Kudos to you for being a very smart young adult!  My step son is 18, and I'm hoping he will be as responsible as you when he starts getting credit.  Good luck!

Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.