Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

18 year old Junior in College opening a Credit Card

tag
jsickz32
Valued Contributor

Re: 18 year old Junior in College opening a Credit Card

If you just trying to build credit then why not just get added as a AU for a card. I helped my brother that way and he didnt have to waste inqs on secured cards. 6 months later he now has his own cards. 

Anyways, good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Amex BCE (2500) / Amex SPG (4000) / Amex GoldPR / Merrill+ Visa siggy (5000) / BofA Amex (6000) / Bofa cash rewards (5000) / BofA Privileges Cash Rewards (5000) / Citi Forward (4400) / Citi DP (2000) / Chase Freedom (4000) / Chase CSP (5000) / Chase Hyatt (5000) / Discover IT (1700) / FNBO AMEX (3600) / NFCU cashRewards Visa signature (15000) / NFCU Flagship Visa signature (12500) / NFCU Navcheck (5000) / Nordstrom (500) / MetroCU Visa Elite (5000) / Walmart (4500) / Kays Jewerels (6600) / Kohls (300) / Macys Platinum (2500) / DCU platinum Visa (17500) / Citizens bank cash back (1100) / Bill Me Later (1631) / PayPal Smart connect (2200) / BestBuy store card (2000)
Message 11 of 15
azguy13
Senior Contributor

@Startome wrote:

Both of my cards listed in my Sig are secured. Bear in mind, when your card is at zero balance, you can close it any time and get your money back. So if your money is going to sit in your savings doing nothing, it will be no different if 300 dollars of it are in a secured card. You don't use it either way. And the Harley Davidson one from U.S. Bank has no annual fee. It's the only secured card I've been able to find that never has an annual or monthly fee ever for the life of the card. =)

Plus it's Harley so it puts it above all other secured cards Smiley Very Happy

Message 12 of 15
Startome
Regular Contributor

@azguy13 wrote:

@Startome wrote:

Both of my cards listed in my Sig are secured. Bear in mind, when your card is at zero balance, you can close it any time and get your money back. So if your money is going to sit in your savings doing nothing, it will be no different if 300 dollars of it are in a secured card. You don't use it either way. And the Harley Davidson one from U.S. Bank has no annual fee. It's the only secured card I've been able to find that never has an annual or monthly fee ever for the life of the card. =)

Plus it's Harley so it puts it above all other secured cards Smiley Very Happy

I agree completely ^_^

Current: EQ FICO 0, TU FICO 0, EX FICO 0 | Starting Score: 0 (08/21/2013)

Starting total revolving credit: $0 | Current total revolving credit: $1600.00

Inquiries (12 Months): EQ 3-4 TU Unsure EX Unsure | Most Recent: 8/19/2013

2013 Goals:
1,000.00 Emergency Fund
1,000.00 Emergency Fund, AGAIN
Mechanically Sound Car
Unsecured Card

Fifth Third $300
U.S. Bank Harley Davidson $300
Capital One Platinum $500
2nd Capital One Platinum $500

Message 13 of 15
SuperKirby
Established Contributor

@azguy13 wrote:

@SuperKirby wrote:

gotta put in my $0.02 here.

I was 18 with ZERO credit (no HLs, no ALs, only 1 newly opened Student loan) and was a student in college. I applied for a Discover, Cap1 (or whatever "easy" to get card). For income, I just put my student loan amount in which they gave me $3-5K a semester. So I put income as $10K-15K annually (i forgot the actual amount I entered). I was approved for an UN-secured student credit card. From there, the rest is history...

So yes, you should be able to be approved for a major bank unsecured student CC.

At 19 years old, I got a Citi student CC and a BofA student CC.  Today, MANY years later, i still have those 2 cards. I then PCed them into a Citi ThankYou and a BofA Travel Rewards card (sock drawered)

The open date for those 2 credit cards were opened in the year of my freshman year of college, so i know 100% it's possible.

Oh, also, I did not work!

Now thats the way to do it! Gotta love the loyalty

Thanks, i'm glad at least the CTY and BofA has some kind of rewards when/if i use them in the future!

OP, being an AU for 6 months isn't bad either! 

You literally started your first college semester this year? Wait until your student loans hit your credit bureaus for two months, then apply for a unsecured student CC from cap1/BofA/Discover/etc. that's what i did. this was of course more than 8 years ago, so maybe it was easier to get a student CC back then?

If you don't get approved, being an AU or getting a secured card for 4-6 months is not bad at all, then try for the unsecured student card again.

Message 14 of 15
Networth
Frequent Contributor

I would put whatever reinburmsent you get for  inancial aid directly deposited into a checking account either at a major bank or local CC. Once your students loans are reporting and the bank see's you have a 2k+ in their checking account I would apply for one of there cards. Odds are you will get a starter card or student card to start building your credit.

Chase Sapphire Reserve - American Express Blue Sky - Chase Freedom - - Chase Freedom Unlimited - BankAmericard Travel Rewards -

TU 813 EX 809 EQ 812
Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.