cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

18 year old with no credit history history. HELP!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

18 year old with no credit history history. HELP!

So i just turned 18, with an annual income of about 13,000$ and 2 years of work experience. I want to apply for my first credit card, but have no credit history or co-signer to help. i heard i can try for discover it, capital one, barclaycard, paypal, or even a card from my bank. i am open to any cards to get started with and will mangage them accordingly to help build my credit. i am currently banking with chase and heard many stories of  the chase freedom card being hard to get, so where should i start? what does your credit score start at at 18? how many cards should i apply to at once? what cards are the easiest/ best to get? Thanks a ton!!

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
rockbttm442
Frequent Contributor

Re: 18 year old with no credit history history. HELP!

Welcome to the forum. The best start is to check the prequal sites. Barclay doesn't have one and Discover isn't the best. Cap One is the best start as they tend to help people with limited to no history. My be able to get the platinum card and maybe the Quicksilver One card. With Discover try the It for students card. If all else fails go the Secure card route.

The idea is to have 3 cards. Maintain those for about 6 months to a year then you should be able to get some better cards. Hope this helps some I'm sure others will chime in.

Good luck with everything.
Cap 1 QS1 - $3300, Kemba CU - $500, Chase Freedom - $500, Sears MC - $751, Sears - $2000, Hot Topic - $1230, Grismer - $1200, Target - $1800, Walmart - $200, Home Depot - $500, Discover IT Chrome - $7000, Chase Sapphire Preferred - $5000
Message 2 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks so much for the quick reply and will use this advice!!

Message 3 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

One way is to go deposit your next paycheck at a credit union, then request a share secured loan. Your funds are held as security for your new loan, which will report to the credit bureaus as you make your payments.

Message 4 of 19
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@rockbttm442 wrote:
Welcome to the forum. The best start is to check the prequal sites. Barclay doesn't have one and Discover isn't the best. Cap One is the best start as they tend to help people with limited to no history. My be able to get the platinum card and maybe the Quicksilver One card. With Discover try the It for students card. If all else fails go the Secure card route.

The idea is to have 3 cards. Maintain those for about 6 months to a year then you should be able to get some better cards. Hope this helps some I'm sure others will chime in.

Barclay's has one. There was a link somewhere around here. I checked it once last year

I also wouldn't suggest getting 3 cards right out of the gate as well... 3 Inq's and 3 cards? Probably going to take some fishing to get that and a good amount of inq's

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 5 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@rockbttm442 wrote:

Barclay's has one. There was a link somewhere around here. I checked it once last year

I also wouldn't suggest getting 3 cards right out of the gate as well... 3 Inq's and 3 cards? Probably going to take some fishing to get that and a good amount of inq's

Not sure what you checked but Barclays does not have a preapproval site and hasn't for awhile.

Message 6 of 19
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@rockbttm442 wrote:

Not sure what you checked but Barclays does not have a preapproval site and hasn't for awhile.

Link from here.... Was there a year ago. Just search it in these forums 

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Barclay-s-pre-approval-link/m-p/2269163#M636735

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
Message 7 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@rockbttm442 wrote:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Barclay-s-pre-approval-link/m-p/2269163#M636735

That's from 2 years ago.  Doesn't exist any longer and hasn't been around for awhile.

Message 8 of 19
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@rockbttm442 wrote:

That's from 2 years ago.  Doesn't exist any longer and hasn't been around for awhile.

Ah IDK i don't really like Barclay's lol so never bothered in a long time

Message 9 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover It for Students is a great card and approval odds are decent as long as you can prove that you're a student. With the 2x promo currently running, it gives effectively 10% cash back on category purchases and 2% cash back on everything else. It also comes with a monthy Transunion credit score so you can track your credit journey. 

Chase Freedom was my first card @ 18 (turning 19). I don't think approval odds are abysmal if you've banked with them in the past. If denied, recon and leverage your prior relationship. 

Your school's CU is also an excellent option. They tend to extend membership and credit as long as you're a student. 

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.