cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

18 years old and new to credit, which card to get?

tag
Discover2016
Valued Contributor

Re: 18 years old and new to credit, which card to get?

@Anonymous wrote:
chase is usually pretty adamant about having no less than a year of credit card history before approval, sometimes even 2 years

+1 This was my experience, my Chase prequals didn't appear until I had about a year of history. Although I have seen cases of people getting Freedom or Slate with less.

Gardening until September 2025
Next app: Mortgage in September 2025
Message 71 of 155
Anonymous
Not applicable

@icyhot wrote:
For all that OP could've gotten a Journey or QS1. Not sure why everyone is pushing secured cards when there are plenty unsecured cards that take blank files

OP can always follow up and apply for a QS1. However, he was adamant that he didn't want a CapOne card, right up until the time that he applied for one.

Message 72 of 155
Anonymous
Not applicable

What is the QS1? Capital one quicksilver? Other people said I have no chance at getting that card, I do use Uber almost everyday so 20% cash bash on rides would be AWESOME! Could I apply for that card? Even though now I got 2 hard hits on my credit report, one from Capital one for the secured card and another for the Chase card I applied for.
Message 73 of 155
Anonymous
Not applicable

Im sorry but I dont understand whats going on here. First you're adamant about not wanting any secured or Cap One cards, kind of disregarded the majority of advice here, applied for a Freedom unsecured then immediately followed that up with a CAP ONE SECURED app without waiting to see how the Chase app turns out since you havent gotten approval or denial confirmation yet, and now you want to go for a second Cap One card? 😩
Message 74 of 155
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
What is the QS1? Capital one quicksilver? Other people said I have no chance at getting that card, I do use Uber almost everyday so 20% cash bash on rides would be AWESOME! Could I apply for that card? Even though now I got 2 hard hits on my credit report, one from Capital one for the secured card and another for the Chase card I applied for.

You need to slow down. Like Heavenly said you don't even know you are denied for the Freedom yet. Wait and see what Chase's response is.

Yes, the Uber discount would be nice, but IMO, you won't get the QS right now. The QS1 is possible, but I'd build some history with the secured card. Not trying to be rude, but the $200 approval for the secured is basically "we'll get you started" and that's it. You are unlikely to see any unsecured approvals for at least 3-6 months.

Message 75 of 155
Anonymous
Not applicable

honestly the QS1 is a stretch.
Message 76 of 155
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase called me this morning and left a voicemail asking for additional information, I called back and talked to rep she wanted more information from me so I gave it to the rep. She put me on hold for 10 minutes then said I was approved for the Chase freedom but only with a $500 limit. I said awesome and she said I should get my card in a few days. So right now I should be getting the cap one secured card with a $200 limit and the freedom card. Yea I guess I'm gonna wait for the cap one QS1 but the Uber offers ends April of 2016.
Message 77 of 155
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on the Freedom approval! Chase will treat you well and that's a fantastic card, regardless of whether you're starting out or not.

Have fun, keep the balance under $50 even if you have to pay it a few times a month, and... Don't miss any payments! Cheers!
Message 78 of 155
Anonymous
Not applicable

that's shocking as hell lol
Message 79 of 155
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not that shocking. Had the same card, same limit with zero card history. What will be shocking is any type of CLI on it but no biggie for now. Kind of makes the secured card unnecessary, especially since you didnt initially want any Cap One cards...patience would have been good here. At any rate congrats.
Message 80 of 155
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.