cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

18 years old with debt: can I get a Citi secured card?

tag
DI
Super Contributor

Re: 18 years old with debt: can I get a Citi secured card?

@Anonymous wrote:
Ok, I'll be graduating from college in 2014. I'll have at least 2cards and 4 collections are falling off my report soon. Plus I should be able to dispute all of it because I'm 17 and I put the incorrect dob. Its all good though. Im only 17.

How old are the collection accounts?  They will appear on your reports for uo to 7.5 years. 

Message 31 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Ok, I'll be graduating from college in 2014. I'll have at least 2cards and 4 collections are falling off my report soon. Plus I should be able to dispute all of it because I'm 17 and I put the incorrect dob. Its all good though. Im only 17.

Its not all good its called fraud. Also if this is "all good" with you you have a rough life ahead of you. It is fraud for lying to open the accounts and with the attitude you have its theft. If someone pays their bills and gets into financial trouble and cards get charged off that is a rough stage in life if you sign up for cards falsely charge them up and know you shouldnt have them and have no income to pay them and justify it with "its all good" because it will fall off it is theft. And as the DI said they stay on 7.5 years so they wont disappear until 2016. I think you need to regroup your priorities.
Message 32 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Its not all good its called fraud. Also if this is "all good" with you you have a rough life ahead of you. It is fraud for lying to open the accounts and with the attitude you have its theft. If someone pays their bills and gets into financial trouble and cards get charged off that is a rough stage in life if you sign up for cards falsely charge them up and know you shouldnt have them and have no income to pay them and justify it with "its all good" because it will fall off it is theft. And as the DI said they stay on 7.5 years so they wont disappear until 2016. I think you need to regroup your priorities.

Also ... debts obtained through fraud are not able to be discharged in BK.  Lying about one's DOB is fraud.
Message 33 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's really not fraud. Plus, it'll be off in year 2016 and some even before that. No one doesn't even know, the creditors think I'm 19, so I'll be able to prove that I'm only 17! It happens all the time. Plus I disputed the Bofa ($1,469.00) and that's off my report and my score is going to get up, trust me. But thanks for all the advice everyone!

And it just eventually FALLS OFF lol

Message 34 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

Are you for real?  I've never heard of someone so young doing something as irresponsible as this!  I'm only 20, but I can't imagine can't imagine anyone in our age bracket getting into this situation.  I'd suggest 2 part time jobs to help pay for everything and hopefully you'll have partially dug yourself out of some debt come time for college. 

I hope everything works out. 

Message 35 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

It's really not fraud. Plus, it'll be off in year 2016 and some even before that. No one doesn't even know, the creditors think I'm 19, so I'll be able to prove that I'm only 17! It happens all the time. Plus I disputed the Bofa ($1,469.00) and that's off my report and my score is going to get up, trust me. But thanks for all the advice everyone!

Actually, it really is fraud.  False statements for the purpose of obtaining credit are considered fraud.

While Bank of America may have chosen to just write off the account and not check further into the issue -- and presumably most other creditors would do the same thing -- that is usually not the case when you file for bankruptcy.  In a Ch. 7, the trustee will likely notice your age and then you'll see problems.  Also, lying on the BK forms opens you up to perjury and then inaddition to all the debts, you'll find yourself with a felony conviction on your record. 

If you can get your current creditors to swallow your story now, good for you.  But continuing with a fraudulent BK application would not be a smart move.

Message 36 of 42
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

JokerG2, there's one little detail that you've overlooked here, something that you didn't consider when planning all this out.  No one here has mentioned it (and I hope nobody mentions it...it'll personally give me more satisfaction that way). 

You definitely have "college" in your future, plus free room and board.  Transportation will also be provided.  You'll make many new friends.  You may even earn a highly-desirable job, working from home.  And none of this will cost you a dime, just like always.

The only advice I can give to you is, "Don't drop the soap".  LOL  :smileyvery-happy: 

Message 37 of 42
DI
Super Contributor

@Uborrow-Upay wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

JokerG2, there's one little detail that you've overlooked here, something that you didn't consider when planning all this out.  No one here has mentioned it (and I hope nobody mentions it...it'll personally give me more satisfaction that way). 

You definitely have "college" in your future, plus free room and board.  Transportation will also be provided.  You'll make many new friends.  You may even earn a highly-desirable job, working from home.  And none of this will cost you a dime, just like always.

The only advice I can give to you is, "Don't drop the soap".  LOL  :smileyvery-happy: 

Be supportive and friendly. It's the OP's own business how he/she obtained the accounts.  The OP asked if he/she can get a Citi secured card,  

If the banks failed to check the applicants age it's their loss.  I opened an account before I was 18.  I may have been 15 or 16.  I paid the account until I ran out of money.  Back then, the creditor didn't do any credit check.  I defaulted on the account.  It was less than $500. The account never appeared on my credit reports.  

Joker- you have a great future.  You know your situation better than anyone else.   You'll be fine.  But do not file BK. It's no necessary. 

Message 38 of 42
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

DI wrote: 

Be supportive and friendly. It's the OP's own business how he/she obtained the accounts.  The OP asked if he/she can get a Citi secured card,  

If the banks failed to check the applicants age it's their loss.  I opened an account before I was 18.  I may have been 15 or 16.  I paid the account until I ran out of money.  Back then, the creditor didn't do any credit check.  I defaulted on the account.  It was less than $500. The account never appeared on my credit reports.  

Joker- you have a great future.  You know your situation better than anyone else.   You'll be fine.  But do not file BK. It's no necessary. 

DI, I'm not convinced that this IS the original poster. 

I'm also thinking maybe someone is having fun at our expense. 

Message 39 of 42
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

@Uborrow-Upay wrote:

DI, I'm not convinced that this IS the original poster. 

I'm also thinking maybe someone is having fun at our expense. 

+1...I think you guys are getting played...

Message 40 of 42
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.