New Contributor
LilNYC

1st Command Visa / Low APR & balance transfer Cards

Anybody have any experience w/ the First Command Visa @6.25% apr? 

I've been thinking that it might be a good idea to get a card that offers low apr & no balance transfer fees, in case of emergency. Reading through old threads on this site I've seen ppl mention first command, barclay's ring, & amerprise as low apr cards.

1) I'm not an Amerprise client & I'm happy with my current brokerage firm so Amerprise isn't an option for me.

2) Barclay Ring seems enticing- 8% apr on all balances, no balance transfer fee. However, I've heard that they constantly SP you & if they feel you've opened too many new accts/too many inquiries they reduce your CL. Any truth to this? How hard is it to get approved? What don't they like on CRs? I know they pull TU & my TU report has 2 inquiries & a paid tax lien for $350 from 3.5 yrs ago. 40% util.  I don't want to get a card that's going to make me nervous anytime I want to apply for another card. 

3) First Command- the website states that they are only accepting apps from existing banking or investment clients. They have a no fee checking acct that only requires a $25 opening deposit. Would it suffice if I opened up this checking acct? I live in NY but they have a branch in NJ that isn't too much of a hassle for me to go to & open the acct at (since my sis lives near it & I visit pretty often.) Couod I just open the checking acct, wait a few months & app for the 6.25% cc? Anybody know if it's a hard card to get approved for & if they pull from a specific CR?

Are there any other low apr/low balance transfer fee cards that I missed?

Citi Thank You $13,200 - Chase Freedom $3,100 - AMEX Zync NPSL (init. ability $17.5K) - Citi Forward $7,000 - AMEX BCP $6,000 - USAA Rate Adv $15,000 - USAA World MC $12,000 - Discover More $4,000 - Amex Hilton Honors $4,500 - Amex SPG $2,000 - Barclay's Priceline Rewards $6,400 - Chase Sapphire Pref. $7,500

EQ: 794. TU: 704. EX: 755

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}