Re: 1st date... Whip out the Discover?

@jsickz32 wrote:
Cash or cc if you played your cards right you should get rewarded lol

Lol.

Message 61 of 103
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

im surprised no one has said debit cards? guess those went out of style. 

like stated if the date doesnt like it let them pay. 

personally ive used the freedom/zync and debit card or cash. 

if its under 100 i pay cash/debit. 

if its over amex/chase/Bank Card

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 62 of 103
Anonymous
Not applicable

When I was a law student (2003-2006), I hung out with a few older professionals who took turns paying for drinks/dinner.  I was always exceedingly impressed by their AMEX cards and the picture of financial health that the cards portrayed. I'm still impressed by credit cards.  It kind of conjures the image of someone obsessing over the visceral element of touching the card - a la Patrick Bateman in American Psycho.

Message 63 of 103
KingAdrock
Established Contributor

@cashnocredit wrote:

Take your date to Denny's then (try to) pay with a $25 coin.

You can actually buy a legal $25 US coin from the government mint but it will cost around $600. They are made of platinum, weigh about 1/4 oz, are roughly the same color and size as a quarter. Even though it is clearly, but in a tiny font, marked $25 US, in all likelihood the waiter will think you are trying to pull some sort of fast one so be prepared with regular cash or CC with a little extra tip for the hassle.  Guaranteed to make an impression on your date.

Though not, perhaps, the one you might want.

Nobody is going to settle a $25 debt with a $600 piece of platinum. That (somewhat annoyingly) is the point of the coins. It's the metal that's valuble, not the nominal face value.

However, I have entertained the thought of leaving an American Silver Eagle as a tip for an fancy dinner. Imagine the server's annoyance quickly turning to surprise and joy when they realize this $1 coin is actually worth over 30 bucks.

Message 64 of 103
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

metal is a horrible investment.

I guess we can see who is fiscally conservative and who isn't by who uses credit cards the most HAHA.

Personally, you get more benefits by using credit for the small purchases that add up, than ONLY using them for big purchases.

It's American Express Blue Cash EVERYDAY.... The only time I use cash is for ... well..nothing that can be discussed here HAHA...

Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 65 of 103
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

When I was a law student (2003-2006), I hung out with a few older professionals who took turns paying for drinks/dinner.  I was always exceedingly impressed by their AMEX cards and the picture of financial health that the cards portrayed. I'm still impressed by credit cards.  It kind of conjures the image of someone obsessing over the visceral element of touching the card - a la Patrick Bateman in American Psycho.

In the early 70's I was working in a tech area that had me frequently flying all over the country and sometimes outside on troubleshooting. Often, if it was an important customer the Sales/Marketing  VP would accompany.  Shortly after I had started working I'd gotten a BankAmericard. It had a 2k limit and I'd have to get hotels/airlines prepaid to not run over. So as not to  stress my CC too much (I liked having a buying buffer) I got an Amex Green for biz expenses. It was perfect since the biz always paid within a few days after I submitted an expense report.

Later, Amex offered to "upgrade" me to a Gold card. At the time the benefits were pretty ephemeral but it only cost $100/y and I billed the company for it since IK only used it for company business. Shortly after I noticed the VP looking enviously at my gold card.  A month later he sported one as well! Gotta love Amex marketing savvy. Gold cards were pretty rare back then and I did feel "special" whipping it out.  I was only 25 and stupid.  The glitter lost its luster and then I stopped using it since my biz travel dropped to near zero. I paid the subsequent AFs for a while but dropped it altogether in the early 80s in favor of zero af cards that had way more CL than I could ever imagine using.  Too bad though. It would be nice to have that on my AAoA now.

I have reestablished credit over the last couple years
so my moniker is, well, rather out of date.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 66 of 103
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

@KingAdrock wrote:

@cashnocredit wrote:

Take your date to Denny's then (try to) pay with a $25 coin.

You can actually buy a legal $25 US coin from the government mint but it will cost around $600. They are made of platinum, weigh about 1/4 oz, are roughly the same color and size as a quarter. Even though it is clearly, but in a tiny font, marked $25 US, in all likelihood the waiter will think you are trying to pull some sort of fast one so be prepared with regular cash or CC with a little extra tip for the hassle.  Guaranteed to make an impression on your date.

Though not, perhaps, the one you might want.

Nobody is going to settle a $25 debt with a $600 piece of platinum. That (somewhat annoyingly) is the point of the coins. It's the metal that's valuble, not the nominal face value.

However, I have entertained the thought of leaving an American Silver Eagle as a tip for an fancy dinner. Imagine the server's annoyance quickly turning to surprise and joy when they realize this $1 coin is actually worth over 30 bucks.

That I have done. Picked up some green monsters back when Ag was in the low teens.  If I get really good service I sometimes leave an ASE on top of the regular tip cautioning the waiter "Do Not Spend It."  I only did this when paying cash. No way will I do it anywhere they know my name,  Smiley Happy

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 67 of 103
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:

metal is a horrible investment.

I guess we can see who is fiscally conservative and who isn't by who uses credit cards the most HAHA.

Personally, you get more benefits by using credit for the small purchases that add up, than ONLY using them for big purchases.

It's American Express Blue Cash EVERYDAY.... The only time I use cash is for ... well..nothing that can be discussed here HAHA...

Metal is not a horrible investment. It's not an investment.

Message 68 of 103
FrugalRican
Blogger

I asked my girlfriend about the first time we went out together and whether she was impressed by which credit card I pulled out when I paid for our bowling date.

She can't remember what card I pulled out, she can remember what shoes I was wearing though.

If you're feeling insecure about what card you pull out, it's not the card you're worried about, it's the person holding the card.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 69 of 103
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

@Jutz wrote:

The only difference is Amex, people know about Amex.  If you pull out a CSP and an Amex Green, I'd bet my life that a person would be more intrigued by the Green.

I honestly had no idea what American Express was before this year when I applied for one. I actually thought Capital One owned them. My parents never had one when I was growing up, since the distributors they use do not take cards. When they did pull out their cards to pay, I was too focused on ripping open the packing material to notice what they pulled out. I really didn't know about any credit cards. I just knew Mastercard and Visa were the standard, and Discover was worthless.

I never really look at what other people use to pay either. Even if I did, there would have been no way for me to know what it was. I reckon the only American Express card that most people have heard of is the Centurion.

Message 70 of 103
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.