1st date... Whip out the Discover?

tag
jsickz32
Valued Contributor

Re: 1st date... Whip out the Discover?

@maiden_girl wrote:

@jsickz32 wrote:

@Madman94044 wrote:

A lot of places don't take discover...I ran into this problem recently at a restruant.  The waitress opened the check folder and said we don't take Discover, nobody at the table was impressed Smiley Indifferent

only place ive come accross that doesnt take discover is KFC lol 

I always run into this problem all the time! And people wonder where I go shopping that they only accept VISA and Mastercard. I've decided to switch my spending to my Chase card due to this. Larger limit and more widely accepted. At least I won't be running a balance everywhere.

since i cant cook i like going to random restaurants i find while driving around and i have yet to find one that wont take amex or discover.

Amex BCE (2500) / Amex SPG (4000) / Amex GoldPR / Merrill+ Visa siggy (5000) / BofA Amex (6000) / Bofa cash rewards (5000) / BofA Privileges Cash Rewards (5000) / Citi Forward (4400) / Citi DP (2000) / Chase Freedom (4000) / Chase CSP (5000) / Chase Hyatt (5000) / Discover IT (1700) / FNBO AMEX (3600) / NFCU cashRewards Visa signature (15000) / NFCU Flagship Visa signature (12500) / NFCU Navcheck (5000) / Nordstrom (500) / MetroCU Visa Elite (5000) / Walmart (4500) / Kays Jewerels (6600) / Kohls (300) / Macys Platinum (2500) / DCU platinum Visa (17500) / Citizens bank cash back (1100) / Bill Me Later (1631) / PayPal Smart connect (2200) / BestBuy store card (2000)
Message 81 of 103
Madman94044
Regular Contributor

Yeah, this is my issue with Discover, it's not as widely accepted as Visa or MasterCard 

Staring Score:EQ 649 TU 647 EX 644
Current Score: EQ 786 TU 699 EX 746
Goal Score: 800
Wallet: SF Fire CU $5000 CL Chase Freedom 4000 CL, Chase MP $5000, WellsFargo $6000 CL, Amex Gold NPSL, Cap1 CashRewards $2500 CL, Amex BCP $12000 Discover More $1200 CSP 18000
Message 82 of 103
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

@jsickz32 wrote:

@maiden_girl wrote:

@jsickz32 wrote:

@Madman94044 wrote:

A lot of places don't take discover...I ran into this problem recently at a restaurant.  The waitress opened the check folder and said we don't take Discover, nobody at the table was impressed Smiley Indifferent

only place ive come accross that doesn't take discover is KEF lol 

I always run into this problem all the time! And people wonder where I go shopping that they only accept VISA and Mastercard. I've decided to switch my spending to my Chase card due to this. Larger limit and more widely accepted. At least I won't be running a balance everywhere.

since i cant cook i like going to random restaurants i find while driving around and i have yet to find one that wont take amex or discover.

Eating out daily can be EXPENSIVE! I know how to cook...But I just didn't ever feel like..until I looked about my eating out costs. I was spending around 25 to 30 bucks a day on fast food. I haven't completely stopped eating out but I don't eat out as much now and cook more food.

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 83 of 103
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit card for the dinner, and cash for the tip.  

It's rarely the card/money that makes the difference, but it doesn't hurt to show you have both.  She noticed what card I used (she has nice cards of her own), and she noticed the crisp stack of 20's I whipped out when I left the tip.  When I asked her about it, she basically said that any guy can scrounge up a bunch of impressive stuff for one night, but that how I treated the staff (including tipping in cash) was a better indicator of who I actually was, and was far more impressive to her.  

My friends still think my car played a role.  Smiley Tongue

Message 84 of 103
LTomBerry
Frequent Contributor

1. Use whatever card gives you the most cashback at restaurants.

2. If you don't have any good restaurant rewards, pick one based on whatever has been already said here.

3. If you're gonna use cash, different denominations might send different messages:

$5, $10, $20 bills: You are a normal person

$100 bills: You're either loaded or trying too hard to show off (possibly $50s as well)

$1 bills: You must go to strip clubs a lot (if you have a big stack of singles)

$2 bills: You are a connoisseur!

Starting Score: 690
Current Score: EQ 780 EX 814 TU 783
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 85 of 103
TilltedBrim
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Credit card for the dinner, and cash for the tip.  

It's rarely the card/money that makes the difference, but it doesn't hurt to show you have both.  She noticed what card I used (she has nice cards of her own), and she noticed the crisp stack of 20's I whipped out when I left the tip.  When I asked her about it, she basically said that any guy can scrounge up a bunch of impressive stuff for one night, but that how I treated the staff (including tipping in cash) was a better indicator of who I actually was, and was far more impressive to her.  

My friends still think my car played a role.  Smiley Tongue  Nice car eh'..... Please do tell.  What do you drive?

After falling off the wagon while in the garden... And going 2 for 4 on a drapping spree I've finally received my coveted Discover More. And now I'll limp back to the garden.
Message 86 of 103
pinoyscorpion951
New Contributor

When in doubt.... Whip it out. Credit card I mean.
Message 87 of 103
SportBike4Life
Regular Contributor

I would whip out the card that best reflects your current financial situation. Smiley Wink

Jun 2012 FICO® ~ 734 EQ
Sep 2012 FICO® ~ 684 EQ; 734 TU
Oct 2012 FICO® ~ TBA

Goal for 2014 ~760+

Trying to stay in the garden...but also trying to get as many apps as possible for now Smiley Wink
Message 88 of 103
Jutz
Valued Contributor

@LTomBerry wrote:

1. Use whatever card gives you the most cashback at restaurants.

2. If you don't have any good restaurant rewards, pick one based on whatever has been already said here.

3. If you're gonna use cash, different denominations might send different messages:

$5, $10, $20 bills: You are a normal person

$100 bills: You're either loaded or trying too hard to show off (possibly $50s as well)

$1 bills: You must go to strip clubs a lot (if you have a big stack of singles)

$2 bills: You are a connoisseur!

Funny story about $2 bills.  In the small city I used to live in there was a strip club that only gave out $2 bills as change, so you'd be tipping double what you normally would.  Great business strategy.  The only problem was, when people paid in normal establishments with $2 bills, everyone knew exactly where they came from.  With the $1 bills, at least you can assume the person is a waiter/waitress, or someone else tip based. 

• Current: EQ FICO 706, TU FICO 701, EX FICO 706 | Starting Score: 525 (05/2012)
  • Starting total revolving credit: $1100 | Current total revolving credit: $36,700
  • Inquiries (12 Months): EQ 2 TU 1 EX 1 | Most Recent: 1/21/2014
Chase Freedom $9500
DCU Visa $10000
Capital One QS $2000
AMEX BCE $3000
Lowe's CC $8500
WalMart CC $3100
BOA Platinum $600
AMEX Gold NPSL
Message 89 of 103
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

+1 cashnocredit!
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 90 of 103
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.