Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1st date... Whip out the Discover?

tag
TilltedBrim
Regular Contributor

1st date... Whip out the Discover?

Why do I feel that whipping out the Discover More on the first date wouldn't be very impressive?   Smiley Indifferent 

After falling off the wagon while in the garden... And going 2 for 4 on a drapping spree I've finally received my coveted Discover More. And now I'll limp back to the garden.
Message 1 of 103
102 REPLIES 102
Razeus
Frequent Contributor

Re: 1st date... Whip out the Discover?

It won't.

Use an AMEX instead.

It may backfire because she may think you are broke and having to use a credit card just to pay for the date...

My Wallet:
AMEX Platinum | Discover It $20.3k | Chase Sapphire Reserved $16k | Chase United $12k | AMEX SimplyCash Plus Business $11.6k | AMEX Schwab $9k | AMEX BCEP $8.2k | Citi Costco Anywhere Visa $8k | Chase Amazon Visa $8k | Chase Sapphire Preferred $7k | Chase Freedom $5k | Citi Simplicity $5k | Paypal Extras Platinum $5k | Wells Fargo $5k | Citi Best Buy $4.2k | Citi Visa Signature $3k | Care Credit $3k
Message 2 of 103
TilltedBrim
Regular Contributor

Ahhhh.... Excellent point. 

After falling off the wagon while in the garden... And going 2 for 4 on a drapping spree I've finally received my coveted Discover More. And now I'll limp back to the garden.
Message 3 of 103
john398
Senior Contributor

In the past I had dated someone new who said I have too many credit cards LOL

Message 4 of 103
TilltedBrim
Regular Contributor

@TilltedBrim wrote:

Ahhhh.... Excellent point. 

I almost forgot... I don't have a charge card.  Smiley Sad

Message 5 of 103
wallyworld123
Frequent Contributor

@TilltedBrim wrote:

Why do I feel that whipping out the Discover More on the first date wouldn't be very impressive?   Smiley Indifferent 

because you probably had this thought in your mine for a while already now u feel it's not impressive. It's a subconscience thing!

Message 6 of 103
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

I don't think anyone that is getting something for free should complain about the payment source. If they do not like it, invite them to take out their own. Someone who judges you based on a card may not be someone you want to date.

Message 7 of 103
andre181
Established Contributor

1. Discover can be a hard bank to get in with. She/he should be impressed that you have a Discover.
  2. You shouldn't be trying to impress a potiential boy/girlfriend with a credit card. IMO, If someone is MORE interested in you because of the credit card you use, they are shallow and potentially a gold digger.

I had someone, who was very attractive, help me at a department store recently. But it wasn't until AFTER I pulled out my Amex BCE that they started to really be nice and flirt. Maybe I read too much into it, but that turned me off.

Discover IT $35K | FNBO Visa $30K | Cash+ Visa Sig $19.5K | Southwest Premier $16K | Priceline $15K | Citi Forward $14.3K | US Bank Plat $14K | Commerce Bank $13K | CSP $13K | CSR $10K | Sallie Mae World MC $10K | Lowe’s Consumer 10K | BoA Cash Rewards 1-2-3 Sig $7.5K | Fidelity Visa $7K | Citi Double Cash $6.5K | WF Cash Back Visa $5.4K | Capital One Cash Rewards $5K | AMEX BCE $3.9K | Freedom $2.5K | Younkers/Comenity $2.4K | Kohl’s 1.5K | Target $1.4K | EX FICO (from AMEX): 768, TU FICO (from Discover): 797, AAoA: 4.4 years
Message 8 of 103
SwampSystems
Frequent Contributor

@Razeus wrote:

It won't.

Use an AMEX instead.

It may backfire because she may think you are broke and having to use a credit card just to pay for the date...

Been there, done that. Still bitter about it.

Message 9 of 103
Cadillac-XTS
Established Contributor

+10000000000 @ navigatethis12

Message 10 of 103
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.