Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1st time using EMV at Walmart tonight!

tag
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

1st time using EMV at Walmart tonight!

So, Im checking out with my Venture card, swipe it, and the register beeps, I swipe it again, it beeps ( terrible thoughts started going thru my head immediately, and I was ready to take out the trusty Navy card).  then  Clerk says..."you need to use the reader"..Im like.." ummm, I just swiped my card."..he says.." you have a chip card, you have to use the chip reader"..Im like... "ummm, where is it? Ive never used one before, LOL!!!" 

The guys come around to the other side and shows me where to insert my card, oh lord..Of course, never fails, there was a hot guy behind me in line, LOL...

This was my first time using chip/siggy, and I just used my Venture card 2 days prior there, and was able to swipe, so they just started using the feature.  It will take me a bit to get use to it, Im used to swiping, LOLSmiley Happy

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
ParadoxD
Valued Member

Re: 1st time using EMV at Walmart tonight!

Nice! I'll probably end up doing the same thing when somewhere near me starts using them :-P
Message 2 of 17
jsucool76
Super Contributor

First time I used a chip card at walmart it took me 3 tries and I used 3 different cards. I was at self-checkout, and the card terminals were hard mounted to the checkout lane, with the EMV Insert slot facing downward and almost unreachable. I had to literally bend over and turn my head to see where the slot was and then struggle to manevuer my card into it as there was barely enough room for it to fit. Then, I couldn't get the "click" to happen where it locks into place, so I used 3 different cards and on the last one went in. #TheStruggleIsReal

This was quite a while ago (I assume right when walmart began doing EMV), and the terminals are mounted differently now. (at least in the walmart near me) 

Message 3 of 17
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:

First time I used a chip card at walmart it took me 3 tries and I used 3 different cards. I was at self-checkout, and the card terminals were hard mounted to the checkout lane, with the EMV Insert slot facing downward and almost unreachable. I had to literally bend over and turn my head to see where the slot was and then struggle to manevuer my card into it as there was barely enough room for it to fit. Then, I couldn't get the "click" to happen where it locks into place, so I used 3 different cards and on the last one went in. #TheStruggleIsReal

This was quite a while ago (I assume right when walmart began doing EMV), and the terminals are mounted differently now. (at least in the walmart near me) 

see..you have way more patience than me.. I would have broke out another card that didnt have chip, swiped and went on my merry way, LOL!!! I did have to insert the card twice though, cause the first time the guys like..."That too fast. You have to leave it in the reader until it prmots you for a a siggy"...LOL  

Message 4 of 17
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@pizza1 wrote:

So, Im checking out with my Venture card, swipe it, and the register beeps, I swipe it again, it beeps ( terrible thoughts started going thru my head immediately, and I was ready to take out the trusty Navy card).  then  Clerk says..."you need to use the reader"..Im like.." ummm, I just swiped my card."..he says.." you have a chip card, you have to use the chip reader"..Im like... "ummm, where is it? Ive never used one before, LOL!!!" 

The guys come around to the other side and shows me where to insert my card, oh lord..Of course, never fails, there was a hot guy behind me in line, LOL...

This was my first time using chip/siggy, and I just used my Venture card 2 days prior there, and was able to swipe, so they just started using the feature.  It will take me a bit to get use to it, Im used to swiping, LOLSmiley Happy

Sooo... ummm, what happened to the hot guy?  Did he check out your "chip"?  LOL Smiley Very Happy

Message 5 of 17
14Fiesta
Established Contributor

How much was your transaction this time? I've voluntarily used the chip at Walmart a few times, but it always says approved no signature needed.

EX FICO (AMEX): 728 (4/29/17) | TU FICO (Discover): 737 (4/7/17) | EQ FICO (Citi): 746 (3/28/17)
Message 6 of 17
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@pizza1 wrote:

Sooo... ummm, what happened to the hot guy?  Did he check out your "chip"?  LOL Smiley Very Happy

LOL!!!  um, no..

Im sure I "WOWED" him with my EMV stupidity, hahaha  

Message 7 of 17
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@14Fiesta wrote:

How much was your transaction this time? I've voluntarily used the chip at Walmart a few times, but it always says approved no signature needed.

like $105...thats nothing. compared to what Ive done before.  Thats odd...mmmm...wonder why sometimes it asks for siggy? Maybe because Its my first time? 

Message 8 of 17
14Fiesta
Established Contributor

Maybe it's based on a limit of how much you spend? Like if spend > $25 = sign. I think the highest chip transaction i've done at Walmart so far was $18

Edit: Maybe they just re turned-on enforce mode at your local store, and that's why it now prompted you to dip?

EX FICO (AMEX): 728 (4/29/17) | TU FICO (Discover): 737 (4/7/17) | EQ FICO (Citi): 746 (3/28/17)
Message 9 of 17
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@14Fiesta wrote:

Maybe it's based on a limit of how much you spend? Like if spend > $25 = sign. I think the highest chip transaction i've done at Walmart so far was $18

ahhh, that could explain it.. 

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.