cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1yr history (cap1 secured) - what next?

Valued Contributor

Re: 1yr history (cap1 secured) - what next?

Pulling your own report I'd not a hard inquiry. You can pull your own report as many times you like without any effect on your credit. You can sign up for the free 7 day trial to get your score watch fico scores.
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 11 of 22
Highlighted
New Member

Re: 1yr history (cap1 secured) - what next?

I tried to get my report but I need to wait another couple of weeks as I guess it hasn't quite been a full year yet  (since getting my SSN, cit card etc).

 

 

I've been doing a little thinking and research. I read that cap1 aren't that great with their credit limits. I'm a heavy Amazon user. I'm thinking of going for a Citi Forward - they're prettto easy to get approved for, right? I was thinking that maybe another 6 months or year down the line, I'd try to get my foot in the door with AmEx - I'm already getting initiations to apply for a gold card with them that that card doesn't report so it won't help my credit scor,  right?).

 

let me know if you guys think that plan sounds smart or not.

 

thanks!

Message 12 of 22
Blogger

Re: 1yr history (cap1 secured) - what next?

11 months of credit history is more than enough for you to obtain prime, non-secured cards. Discover and Amex love credit builders, so you can try out these two issuers. Their CS's are the best in the market. You'll be approved for a Chase card once you hit the one-year mark. The only issue with your credit profile is the low limit on your only card. Do you already have a banking relationship with Chase or BofA? I think the best route would be to open your first non-secured card with them for a high limit, then apply for the cards you need to secure a desirable limit. 

Message 13 of 22
New Member

Re: 1yr history (cap1 secured) - what next?

Hey all,

 

I just wanted to follow up that the decision I came to was to wait just a little while longer and then apply for an Amex BCE and a Chase Freedom at the same time (different browser technique).

 

I got the 'we'll let you know by mail within 14 days' message from AmEx and I got a 'please call us for more info' from Chase. I called Chase and the nice customer service layd verified my identity and then said she would take a look over my application. After a circa 2 minute wait, she said I'd been approved! No further info needed!

 

BOOM: Chase Freedom with $3,000 limit!

 

Next thing for me to investigate is my options for credit limit increase and/or when and how I can get in the door with Amex. Because it's advised to never go beyond 9% utilization, only being able to put $270 on my Chase Freedom will be annoying but I understand these things take time Smiley Happy

Message 14 of 22
Super Contributor

Re: 1yr history (cap1 secured) - what next?

What is the 2 browser technique? Do u mind teaching me?

Thanks!
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 15 of 22
Senior Contributor

Re: 1yr history (cap1 secured) - what next?


Lintlicker wrote:

 Because it's advised to never go beyond 9% utilization, only being able to put $270 on my Chase Freedom will be annoying but I understand these things take time Smiley Happy


I think that is unadvisable.   Use your card for all your normal expenses and it has a better chance of growing with you.    The only time 9% util makes any sense is when you are applying for new credit.

 

Message 16 of 22
Established Contributor

Re: 1yr history (cap1 secured) - what next?


Wolf3 wrote:

Lintlicker wrote:

 Because it's advised to never go beyond 9% utilization, only being able to put $270 on my Chase Freedom will be annoying but I understand these things take time Smiley Happy


I think that is unadvisable.   Use your card for all your normal expenses and it has a better chance of growing with you.    The only time 9% util makes any sense is when you are applying for new credit.

 


+1


DCU Platinum: 4000 - Discover IT: 11000 - Walmart: 5000 - AMEX BCP: 18000 - Chase Freedom VS: 5000
in the garden since 1/24/14 - #GARDENSTRONG
Message 17 of 22
New Member

Re: 1yr history (cap1 secured) - what next?

Oh wow, so basically, I can feel free to use the entire $3k revolving (provided I don't exceed that amount and that I continue to pay on time each month)?

 

That's awesome if so.

 

The multi-browser technique involves using a different browser for each card application. In my case, I used Safari to apply for my Chase card and Chrome to apply for my AmEx card. Apparently it's prudent to have your browser in 'private browsing mode'... that may be paranoid but I did it anyway. The aim is to have each application ready to go at the same time then you hit submit at the same time... this minimizes the window between multiple applications and thus makes it unlikely that one hard pull will be seen by another and so you have a fair shot at each card... 

 

Cheers!

--Leo

Message 18 of 22
Super Contributor

Re: 1yr history (cap1 secured) - what next?


Lintlicker wrote:

Oh wow, so basically, I can feel free to use the entire $3k revolving (provided I don't exceed that amount and that I continue to pay on time each month)?

 

That's awesome if so.

 

The multi-browser technique involves using a different browser for each card application. In my case, I used Safari to apply for my Chase card and Chrome to apply for my AmEx card. Apparently it's prudent to have your browser in 'private browsing mode'... that may be paranoid but I did it anyway. The aim is to have each application ready to go at the same time then you hit submit at the same time... this minimizes the window between multiple applications and thus makes it unlikely that one hard pull will be seen by another and so you have a fair shot at each card... 

 

Cheers!

--Leo


you can use the entire 3k revolving. 

if you want to keep your util low, just pay in full, or most of it, and leave a small balance.

if you don't care about your util, then pay whatever you wish. your scores will tank for the few months you hold a high balance, but once you pay it off, your scores will go back up. HOWEVER, some banks do not like it when you drag on a high balance for a long period of time, or if you make just the minimum payment only for a period of time. So to avoid FR, it's best to pay more than just the minimum balance, preferably 10-20% of whatever you owe.

 

I also saw your other post about Citi Forward. To my knowledge, it is cancelled. Right now the best rewards for amazon seems to be Chase Amazon visa (not the Amazon Store card by GE Bank).

 

When you applied for both using that trick, so both Amex and Chase did not see inquiries made by each other?
Thanks!

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 19 of 22
Frequent Contributor

Re: 1yr history (cap1 secured) - what next?

You can go to the amex site and see if you pre qualify its a sp. Can do the same with cap1.
Message 20 of 22