Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 AMEX Charge Cards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

2 AMEX Charge Cards

Guess this would be more of a curiosity but will AMEX allow people to have two charge cards ie a PRG card and a plat card. Can't see charging on a plat card when you get better rewards on the PRG card.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: 2 AMEX Charge Cards

@Anonymous wrote:

Guess this would be more of a curiosity but will AMEX allow people to have two charge cards ie a PRG card and a plat card. Can't see charging on a plat card when you get better rewards on the PRG card.

Yes, this isn't all that uncommon.  Charge on PRG and use the benefits of the Plat   

Message 2 of 11
Bmac66
Frequent Contributor

I just got approved for the PRG card today. If I call do you think they will approve me for the platinum using the same HP?

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes, this isn't all that uncommon.  Charge on PRG and use the benefits of the Plat   

Figure one day I may switch from my prestige since I already have a PRG card that I use most of the time for charging. Pretty much just have the prestige for benifits although I like the citi price rewind thing and 4th night free benifit on the prestige card.

Message 4 of 11
redpat
Senior Contributor

Should of went Plat and EDP combo for racking up more MR.  4 - 3- 1.50 grocery, gas and other spend with 30 swips in a month

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@redpat wrote:

Should of went Plat and EDP combo for racking up more MR.  4 - 3- 1.50 grocery, gas and other spend with 30 swips in a month

I personally get more value out of the 2x dinning then the 3x vs 2 x at super markets. Do most of my shopping at Costco which will only take visa starting in March so for me I have been doing better on the PRG. I don't know that I would use the card 30x a month to hit that bonus. I also tend to spread my shopping accross a couple of cards to diversify my points.  EDP is a great card though also but can see a PRG and Plat card combo being strong also. 

Message 6 of 11
PointLager
Established Contributor

It's not hard to hit 30x per month. Many utilities allow you to bill pay $1 or less.
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Maybe a silly question, but how do AMEX charge cards report on the CR? Do they show a CL and everything or ...?

Message 8 of 11
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Bmac66 wrote:

I just got approved for the PRG card today. If I call do you think they will approve me for the platinum using the same HP?

It's said the "two-for-one" trick only works when you are going for a charge card and a credit card. 

Others have reported that applicaions for two of the same type card in the same day (i.e. a PRG and Platinum) would cause the second app to give the 7-10 day message, and there would be a separate HP a couple of days later.  I have no personal experience with this... in my case last year I got a charge and revolver in the same day, and it was a single HP.  If you don't yet have an ED this might be a good time to consider it; since it's a revolver it will likely auto-approve and should report only one HP.  (I stress 'should' since every so often someone will report distinct HPs for each app, but it usually works).

@Anonymous wrote:

Maybe a silly question, but how do AMEX charge cards report on the CR? Do they show a CL and everything or ...?

On the charge cards, no credit limit is reported (as it's NPSL).  The credit reports just show the current balance, and of course your balance and payment history.

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I currently have all three colors.  I just got the AMEX Platinum (Mercedes-Benz) yesterday, and I already carry the Premier Rewards Gold and the Green; however, I am going to be closing the Green Card this month before my annual fee comes around.  Platinum and Premier Rewards Gold will have a powerful punch. Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.