Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 BoA Cash Rewards - combine CL's?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

2 BoA Cash Rewards - combine CL's?

I have 2 boa cash rewards credit cards. These 2 are my current oldest cards and also the door to credit building. They were both secured and both graduated around the same time. They're now over 1 year and some odd months. 

Card 1 is 12,000 CL

Card 2 is at 3,800 CL.

Would it be wise to combine card 2 with card 1 for 15,800 CL or keep both open and let them age for a bit more? What would be a wise choice. 

Thanks Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: 2 BoA Cash Rewards - combine CL's?

Depends how much the AAoA hit will cost you. Do you have other cards that are almost as old? If your AAoA is over a year and you let it drop back under, then that could hurt. If it were me (but I don't know your whole situation), I'd ask to fold the newer into the older, but not before I app for anything I need short-term. But don't app spree first since that could raise flags with BoA.

What I would like to know is how a secured card graduated to a $12k CL!

Message 2 of 6
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Depends how much the AAoA hit will cost you. Do you have other cards that are almost as old? If your AAoA is over a year and you let it drop back under, then that could hurt. If it were me (but I don't know your whole situation), I'd ask to fold the newer into the older, but not before I app for anything I need short-term. But don't app spree first since that could raise flags with BoA.

There would not be any AAoA hit. The closed card will still report for the next 10 years.

Oh Also. The BoA cards will grow quickly after they unsecure.. That, and Discover seem to be the best secured product out there.. And, BoA likes to offer the 99/500 secured cards to people with 660-710 scores as well, not just lower scores..

NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@fltireguy wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

There would not be any AAoA hit. The closed card will still report for the next 10 years.

Oh Also. The BoA cards will grow quickly after they unsecure.. That, and Discover seem to be the best secured product out there.. And, BoA likes to offer the 99/500 secured cards to people with 660-710 scores as well, not just lower scores..

Brain fart there, sorry about that!

Do they grow on their own or are they HP CLI's? I app'd for Cash Rewards last year before I got my Disco. Just checked my denial letter again and I was only offered the fully-secured card.

Message 4 of 6
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@fltireguy wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Do they grow on their own or are they HP CLI's? I app'd for Cash Rewards last year before I got my Disco. Just checked my denial letter again and I was only offered the fully-secured card.

They can do both auto, and HP.   

Hindsight is 20/20 - you probably should have taken the secured card. They offered me the 99/500, unsecured after 5 months and then I PC'd it to a CashRewards... 

NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@fltireguy wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@fltireguy wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

They can do both auto, and HP.   

Hindsight is 20/20 - you probably should have taken the secured card. They offered me the 99/500, unsecured after 5 months and then I PC'd it to a CashRewards... 

I was going into credit blindly at that time. My only real mistake has been the HP's, but those will fall off in a little more than a year. I'm not looking to fill my wallet ASAP seeing as I'm still a student, so I'm not looking for huge CL's either. I would've taken the secured from BoA if it weren't for the AF.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.