Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2%+ Cash Back on Everything Cards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: 2%+ Cash Back on Everything Cards

thanks for the detailed reply Cheech.  Do you think these travel insurance programs would cover something like

1) you are traveling in a cab during your vacation/trip.  The cabbie gets in an accident you suffer health problems.  Would they pay your medical bills?

2) you are walking somewhere during your trip.  you slip and fall and sprain your ankle.  would it cover your medical bills?  

3) your laptop gets stolen from your hotel room.  would it offer any coverage for this?

4) you travel by bus to get to your trip destination, and you buy the bus tickets with your credit card that has travel insurance.  the bus driver gets in an accident and you are hurt.  any coverage for your medical bills and/or future health problems?

Message Edited by urgent_help_needed on 02-08-2009 12:46 PM
Message 31 of 52
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

thanks for the detailed reply Cheech.  Do you think these travel insurance programs would cover something like

1) you are traveling in a cab during your vacation/trip.  The cabbie gets in an accident you suffer health problems.  Would they pay your medical bills?

The policy does not cover medical bills or health problems. It covers loss of life, limb, hearing or sight. I do not believe it covers cab rides, either. Can you even pay for a cab with a credit card?

2) you are walking somewhere during your trip.  you slip and fall and sprain your ankle.  would it cover your medical bills?  

No. It only covers common transportation carriers. Your feet don't count. ;-)

3) your laptop gets stolen from your hotel room.  would it offer any coverage for this?

No. Lost luggage, yes. Stolen property from the hotel room, no.

4) you travel by bus to get to your trip destination, and you buy the bus tickets with your credit card that has travel insurance.  the bus driver gets in an accident and you are hurt.  any coverage for your medical bills and/or future health problems?

No. Loss of life, limb, sight, hearing only. Of course, the bus company's insurance should cover your medical bills.

Message Edited by urgent_help_needed on 02-08-2009 12:46 PM

Message 32 of 52
Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks for the info Cheech, I appreciate it.  I didn't know that the bus company's insurance would cover you if you were in a bus accident.  That means that if you don't have health insurance, it is safer to travel by bus, correct?
Message 33 of 52
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
thanks for the info Cheech, I appreciate it.  I didn't know that the bus company's insurance would cover you if you were in a bus accident.  That means that if you don't have health insurance, it is safer to travel by bus, correct?

If you are concerned about being involved in an accident while traveling, and that said accident may have long-term effects on your health, just know that there are basic liability laws in the country. If someone takes an action (or in some cases, FAILS to take an action) that causes you harm, whether physical, financial, emotional or otherwise, you can typically sue that person or entity to recover your losses and/or compensate you for the long-term detriment that you suffer.

When it comes to travelling, most companies providing you with transportation (bus lines, cab companies, etc.) have liability insurance so that in such an event, the insurance company pays you rather than you suing the company. These are just basic laws. He who is at fault should have to pay. It's just a doctrine of fairness. In a perfect world, it would always work out this way, but the world ain't perfect.

The life insurance offered through the credit card company is to compensate beneficiaries in the event of the loss of a loved one, no matter WHO is at fault. Take the Hudson River incident.  Who are you going to hold accountable? The Canadian Geese? Luckily, we had some very competent heroes in charge on that plane and no one lost their life. But if someone HAD, there wouldn't really be any "liable party" in a case like that one. Sometimes accidents just happen. IF, however, someone had died on that flight and they had paid for their ticket with a card that offered the insurance we've been discussing, the family would have been compensated. That type of policy doesn't look for "blame" (although there are certain exclusions --- like if you pick a fight with the captain, for example, and you have to be subdued and suffer a heart attack as a result, etc., you wouldn't be covered).

Message 34 of 52
Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks again for the info Cheech.  Here's a hypothetical scenario I was wondering if you could weigh in on:

So you're on a bus using the tickets you bought with your credit card with travel insurance.  Now you get into a bus accident.  It is determined that a car on the road caused the bus to crash.  Now would that car driver's liability insurance, if they  have any, cover all the injuries of everyone on the bus?  What are the limits of the average car driver's liability insurance?

Message Edited by urgent_help_needed on 02-08-2009 02:51 PM
Message 35 of 52
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

thanks again for the info Cheech.  Here's a hypothetical scenario I was wondering if you could weigh in on:

So you're on a bus using the tickets you bought with your credit card with travel insurance.  Now you get into a bus accident.  It is determined that a car on the road caused the bus to crash.  Now would that car driver's liability insurance, if they  have any, cover all the injuries of everyone on the bus?  What are the limits of the average car driver's liability insurance?

Message Edited by urgent_help_needed on 02-08-2009 02:51 PM

IF the driver of  the car has sufficient liability insurance, that should cover the injuries caused by the accident. Depending on how many bus passengers are injured, however, it's doubtful the driver would have sufficient insurance. However, whatever is not covered by insurance would fall to the driver as personal liability and they could sue him. Whether he has sufficient assets, of course, is another matter.

The liability coverage requirements vary widely from state to state. As to what the "average driver" takes out, I wouldn't really know, but I would guess that the "average" driver tends to stick to the state minimum. People with more assets to protect (homes, money, etc.) tend to take out more than state minimums because we know that anything the insurance doesn't cover, we have to pay. Also, though I don't know what goes on in other states, I do know, for example, that the medical liability coverage required in my own state is ridiculously low.

Message 36 of 52
WhirledPeasPlease
Moderator Emeritus

FWIW in NYC you can charge a cab ride.

Smiley Wink

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
From 700 in 2008 to 498 in 2012...
4/23/12 -- BK 13 date of filing EQ = 505
4/18/12 -- EQ 498
12/5/13 -- EQ 669
Here we go.... back on track.
Message 37 of 52
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a Orchard Bank Platinum Elite and it gives me 2% cash back on everything.  I had a classic card (no rewards) and I received this offer in the mail.  This was a starter card I got 2 years ago and it had an annual fee and low balances.  After 2 years they are willing to credit the annual fee.  Only bad thing is they they are unwilling to give me more than $600 CL even after over 2 years of perfect payment history.  I was not able to find the link for apps on their website. Their Premium Gas card is similar with give you 3% reward on gas, 2% on everything else.

http://www.orchardbank.com/ecare/cards?docId=Cards_Tab_data_cards_ob_sp11_xml&WT.svl=300

Message 38 of 52
MojaveMoon
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I have a Orchard Bank Platinum Elite and it gives me 2% cash back on everything.  I had a classic card (no rewards) and I received this offer in the mail.  This was a starter card I got 2 years ago and it had an annual fee and low balances.  After 2 years they are willing to credit the annual fee.  Only bad thing is they they are unwilling to give me more than $600 CL even after over 2 years of perfect payment history.  I was not able to find the link for apps on their website. Their Premium Gas card is similar with give you 3% reward on gas, 2% on everything else.

http://www.orchardbank.com/ecare/cards?docId=Cards_Tab_data_cards_ob_sp11_xml&WT.svl=300

Thank you, great information How is the customer service for this card ?
Message 39 of 52
Anonymous
Not applicable

Orchard is interesting but why so stingy with the credit lines? is it just because they're a really small bank?
Message 40 of 52
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.