cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 Citi options, Diamond Preferred vs Simplicity... which one?

tag
sarux3
Frequent Contributor

Re: 2 Citi options, Diamond Preferred vs Simplicity... which one?

@wacdenney wrote:

I second the motion to try the Chase Pre-Qualify site.  It's pretty rock solid in my experience.  Slate may be sitting there waiting for you!

I went over to Chase's pre-qualify site and put in my information, but it came back with no options for me.  If they're just reading from my last SP, they did that last month before I made my big payments, so perhaps I'll try the pre-qualify site again next month once the info has been updated on my CR.

CH7 Filed Dec 31, 2018; DC Apr 9, 2019
FICO 8 at DC (Apr 15, 2019):
FICO 8 current (June 29, 2022):
Total revolving credit limit: $149,150 Utilization: 9% Inquiries:

Who I've burnt: Amex / Discover / Chase / Wells Fargo / CapOne / Barclays / Citi / DSNB / US Bank / NASA FCU / Apple FCU / Synch / Comenity
Who let me back in: CapOne / Citi (Retail) / DSNB / Synchrony / Comenity
Message 11 of 16
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@sarux3 wrote:

@wacdenney wrote:

I second the motion to try the Chase Pre-Qualify site.  It's pretty rock solid in my experience.  Slate may be sitting there waiting for you!

I went over to Chase's pre-qualify site and put in my information, but it came back with no options for me.  If they're just reading from my last SP, they did that last month before I made my big payments, so perhaps I'll try the pre-qualify site again next month once the info has been updated on my CR.

I wouldn't put much stock into that website imo... I have always got nothing but I got a Chase Sapphire with a $5,000 limit and 15.99% APR and a Freedom with a $3,500 Limit but a 22.99% APR last month even without no pre-approvals 

It seems you have a relationship with Chase through your formor Wamu card so that might help but I am not certain with cards like those.

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 12 of 16
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@DrZoidberg wrote:

The Diamond Preferred has no value. I have it and it's ok for concert tickets every so often. Otherwise, it's worthless imo. If the Simplicity doesn't do anything for you either, then I would shoot for the ThankYou Preferred. It's a good car. But if you're strictly between the two, I would do the Simplicity. 

+1 

The simplicity card offers Citi Deals which isn't much but it is ok for what it is .

The CDP offers Citi Deals as well.  
Message 13 of 16
sarux3
Frequent Contributor

Sounds like, between my two Citi offers, Simplicity would be the frontrunner for my needs, but if I'm able to get ahold of a Chase Slate, that might be the best option.  When I'm ready to app (probably in 2-4 weeks when my CR should reflect my big payments from this month), should I just app both Simplicity and Slate on the same day?  Or app Slate first and then Citi only if declined or not a high enough CL?  

On a slightly different note:  is it possible for my current Chase card to get PC'd up to one of their nicer cards, given that it's a WaMu acquisition?  Would I lose the age on the current Chase if that were possible?  It's rather crappy in its present state (no benefits and 25% APR) but I'm stuck with it for a while since it's one of my older cards...

Who I've burnt: Amex / Discover / Chase / Wells Fargo / CapOne / Barclays / Citi / DSNB / US Bank / NASA FCU / Apple FCU / Synch / Comenity
Message 14 of 16
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@sarux3 wrote:

Sounds like, between my two Citi offers, Simplicity would be the frontrunner for my needs, but if I'm able to get ahold of a Chase Slate, that might be the best option.  When I'm ready to app (probably in 2-4 weeks when my CR should reflect my big payments from this month), should I just app both Simplicity and Slate on the same day?  Or app Slate first and then Citi only if declined or not a high enough CL?  

On a slightly different note:  is it possible for my current Chase card to get PC'd up to one of their nicer cards, given that it's a WaMu acquisition?  Would I lose the age on the current Chase if that were possible?  It's rather crappy in its present state (no benefits and 25% APR) but I'm stuck with it for a while since it's one of my older cards...

Some WAMU cc's were successful but some were told no.  Send a SM to see if your cc is eligible. 

Do you need two BT cc's? Slate has a no BT fee period, where Citi will charge 3% 

Message 15 of 16
sarux3
Frequent Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:

@sarux3 wrote:

Some WAMU cc's were successful but some were told no.  Send a SM to see if your cc is eligible. 

Do you need two BT cc's? Slate has a no BT fee period, where Citi will charge 3% 

Ideally, I'd just want one card to take on a $6k BT load without incurring very high utilization, so at least a $10k CL.  But as mentioned earlier up, that kind of approval might not be possible in my current situation (see sig) and I might not get the Slate approval at all (see earlier posts), hence my kicking around the idea of dual apps.

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.