Regular Contributor
ABattle

2 Close or Not 2 Close First Premier???

I am in the process of paying them off but I'm wondering if I should just close now. I'm thinking it would be cheaper in the long run. Especially when factoring in the $7 monthly fee plus the annual fee I just got hit with. I'm not looking for any extra credit right now so I'm not that concerned about UTIL. I'm just tired of them and their fees. I know that closing won't stop the interest but it will do away with the fees. On this past month bill I had the $7 monthly servicing fee, $49 annual fee + a $29 fee for having an AU. An extra $85, smh. Any thoughts or opinions on this one? Would this really be that much of a mistake, closing an account w/o having a zero balance?

Community Leader
Senior Contributor
myjourney

Re: 2 Close or Not 2 Close First Premier???

ABattle wrote:

I am in the process of paying them off but I'm wondering if I should just close now. I'm thinking it would be cheaper in the long run. Especially when factoring in the $7 monthly fee plus the annual fee I just got hit with. I'm not looking for any extra credit right now so I'm not that concerned about UTIL. I'm just tired of them and their fees. I know that closing won't stop the interest but it will do away with the fees. On this past month bill I had the $7 monthly servicing fee, $49 annual fee + a $29 fee for having an AU. An extra $85, smh. Any thoughts or opinions on this one? Would this really be that much of a mistake, closing an account w/o having a zero balance?

Yes' if the fees are getting to you close it as it will report positive history for up to 10 years 

HOWEVER closing an account with a balance on it will result in a Fico scoring ding big time 

You may wish to payoff the card first and then close the account IMHO

"Intelligence plus character--that is the goal of true education"
Last 5 apps 6/6/13

Frequent Contributor
simi_go

FPB......worst decision I ever made.  If you have finally made it to the place where you can consider closing them I would just pay them off and get it over with.

EX FICO - 556 9/8/14 TU FICO - 546 9/8/14 EQ FICO - 620 9/14/14
BK Discharged 7/7/14

Credit One $300 $500
Capital One Quicksilver $300
Comenity/Motorola Credit $1,500
Community Leader
Senior Contributor
KennyRS

Pay them off with such a ferocity they've never seen before! Then close them even quicker! :smileywink:
Starting Score: EQ04: 748 (1/31/14) - TU08: 755 (1/06/14)
Current Score:EX08:781(9/14) - EQ04:763(8/29) - EQ08:783(9/19) - TU08:799(9/05)
Goal Score: 800+

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+