Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 Discover Cards?

tag
ccpat
Frequent Contributor

2 Discover Cards?

Is it possible to have 2 Discover Cards if one is Secured?  I have Discover It Secured (still have about 9 months before possible graduation)?  Are the Co Brand Discovers I can app for.  TU is about 670.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
creditguy
Valued Contributor

Re: 2 Discover Cards?

Seeing someone with two Discocer cards is rare, and it's redundant anyhow to have two of the same card, why spread rewards over two of the same cards. It's highly unlikely Discover would give you a second card while you have a secured card, especially one that is relatively new. There are very few co branded Discovers out there, what's the fascination with having an additional Discover?
Message 2 of 11
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@creditguy wrote:
Seeing someone with two Discover cards is rare, and it's redundant anyhow to have two of the same card, why spread rewards over two of the same cards. It's highly unlikely Discover would give you a second card while you have a secured card, especially one that is relatively new. There are very few co branded Discovers out there, what's the fascination with having an additional Discover?

+1

I'll just add that the 'alternate' Discover cards I know of (i.e. True Value Discover, etc.) aren't really "co-branded", but are issued by different companies altogether and are simply processed via the Discover network at the transaction level.  An approval (or denial) for one of these cards won't have any impact on a Discover issued account at all, and vice versa.

On the other hand, there are folks on here who have a Discover It card and also a Discover Miles card, for example.  If I recall correctly, the 'rule' is that your first Discover card must be at least a year old.  I've not yet seen any data points on if having a secured card impacts the ability to get approved for a second card of a different type, or a second (non-secured) card of the same type.

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UncleB wrote:

@creditguy wrote:
Seeing someone with two Discover cards is rare, and it's redundant anyhow to have two of the same card, why spread rewards over two of the same cards. It's highly unlikely Discover would give you a second card while you have a secured card, especially one that is relatively new. There are very few co branded Discovers out there, what's the fascination with having an additional Discover?

+1

I'll just add that the 'alternate' Discover cards I know of (i.e. True Value Discover, etc.) aren't really "co-branded", but are issued by different companies altogether and are simply processed via the Discover network at the transaction level.  An approval (or denial) for one of these cards won't have any impact on a Discover issued account at all, and vice versa.

On the other hand, there are folks on here who have a Discover It card and also a Discover Miles card, for example.  If I recall correctly, the 'rule' is that your first Discover card must be at least a year old.  I've not yet seen any data points on if having a secured card impacts the ability to get approved for a second card of a different type, or a second (non-secured) card of the same type.

+1

Message 4 of 11
ccpat
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the comments. Just being impatient and thinking I can get a non secured Discover since scores have gone up and I've really been using the secured card. I guess I'll just wait it out and wait for the secured to graduate.
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@creditguy wrote:

+1

+1

+2

Message 6 of 11
msbia
Established Contributor

@ccpat wrote:
Thanks for the comments. Just being impatient and thinking I can get a non secured Discover since scores have gone up and I've really been using the secured card. I guess I'll just wait it out and wait for the secured to graduate.

That would be your best bet. I started with the Discover secured as well with a $200 limit. Graduated at 11 months and now has a $4k limit. Be patient grasshopper, it has its rewards. Smiley Happy

Personal Credit? Check. Business Credit? Check.
Mission Accomplished.
Thanks MyFico!
Message 7 of 11
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

On the other hand, there are folks on here who have a Discover It card and also a Discover Miles card, for example.  If I recall correctly, the 'rule' is that your first Discover card must be at least a year old.  .

Yes.   And, even when multiple reps tell you otherwise ("there is no set period"...) it's still the rule!

Not that I am bitter 9 months after my rejection.   OK, I am!   (For those who for some reason have failed to memorize every post, I was told several times that there was no time requirement, I applied for the IT, got doubled pulled then declined because I hadn't had my IT Miles for a year.  Which they knew before pulling....)

Message 8 of 11
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

On the other hand, there are folks on here who have a Discover It card and also a Discover Miles card, for example.  If I recall correctly, the 'rule' is that your first Discover card must be at least a year old.  .

Yes.   And, even when multiple reps tell you otherwise ("there is no set period"...) it's still the rule!

Not that I am bitter 9 months after my rejection.   OK, I am!   (For those who for some reason have failed to memorize every post, I was told several times that there was no time requirement, I applied for the IT, got doubled pulled then declined because I hadn't had my IT Miles for a year.  Which they knew before pulling....)

Yikes.

I've always heard of the "1 year" rule, and  apparently it is indeed true!

So OP it's kind of a moot point for awhile because you need to wait a year before getting a second Discover.

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can have 2 Discover IT cards at a time. Just apply again.
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.