Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2% General Spend Card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

2% General Spend Card

Why is the Citi DC so much more prevalent than the Blispay, with the Blispay being less conservative? Considering Blispay is offering the same cash-back, technically more if you are somebody that views the DC as a technical ~1.98% or whatever that technical percentage was that doctorofcredit mathed out?

Is it just because of the Citi DC having more "brand-recognition"?

I understand the Blispay isn't offering CLIs yet (to my knowledge), but with my recent approvals (within 3 days of eachother, Citi being first), I don't see Citi getting me to the same limit as my Blispay any time soon, after reading some other peoples' data points on Citi. Both cards are in my signature along with their SLs.

Message 1 of 37
36 REPLIES 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: 2% General Spend Card

I don't know anything about Blispay, are the starting limits really that good? Because I was planning on getting a Citi DC in early 2018 for general spend after my Discover cash back match period comes to an end.
Message 2 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

AustinOK you're all right Smiley Happy Until your post. I had no idea Citi did not pay out a full 2% under certain circumstance such as a statement credit ... had NO idea. Just read the Doctor of Credit evaluation. thanks a mill!!!
Message 3 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Why is the Citi DC so much more prevalent than the Blispay, with the Blispay being less conservative? Considering Blispay is offering the same cash-back, technically more if you are somebody that views the DC as a technical ~1.89% or whatever that technical percentage was that doctorofcredit mathed out?

Is it just because of the Citi DC having more "brand-recognition"?

I understand the Blispay isn't offering CLIs yet (to my knowledge), but with my recent approvals (within 3 days of eachother, Citi being first), I don't see Citi getting me to the same limit as my Blispay any time soon, after reading some other peoples' data points on Citi. Both cards are in my signature along with their SLs.

More brand recognition, been around longer, they advertise.

Nobody outside of credit-enthusiast world has heard of Blispay. 

Also, IMO the new PenFed 2% card is a much better option than the Citi Double Cash in every way. The only edge Blispay could have is if you need the 6 month 0% APR function (definitely a legitimate reason to choose it, if it is needed).

Message 4 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

I haven't read many approvals on here, but I've seen it discussed here and there. But not extremely heavily. I may be the odd-one-out. I didn't get an "extraordinary" SL, but all my cards prior to applying for the DC, Cash+ and Blispay were 7,500-12,000-6,000-10,000-12,000 (not including AU on my father's Discover with a CL of 14,500, if that was a factor)

I had done those 3 applications within a 3 day span of eachother, in the following order with the following SLs (respectively)

March 17th, Citi DC - 1,500

March 17th, US Bank Cash+ - 5,000

March 19th, Blispay - 7,500

So, idk if I'd go as far as saying that it was an exemplary SL, but it was far better than the Citi DC SL (for my case at least). And I've been reading that Citi DC could be somewhat stingy with SLs and CLIs, but thought it was a slight exaggeration. I figured the lowest they might give me would be at least 3,000ish. I haven't experienced the CLI side yet, as I was just approved and still haven't received the card yet so I'm pretty far off from my 6month CLI, haha.

Message 5 of 37
wasCB14
Super Contributor

DC offers price rewind and extended warranties.

Not everyone uses those benefits, but I do (on other Citi cards, I don't have DC).

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 6 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
AustinOK you're all right Smiley Happy Until your post. I had no idea Citi did not pay out a full 2% under certain circumstance such as a statement credit ... had NO idea. Just read the Doctor of Credit evaluation. thanks a mill!!!

I understand that small of a difference is basically a moot point unless you spend a significantly large amount of money to your gen-spend card, but still. The difference is so small that it wouldn't make any real difference, but some people may care about that ".02%" lol.

Message 7 of 37
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

The 0.02% is not only small, it's also optional. No reason not to do ACH rather than statement credit and then it goes away
Message 8 of 37
happypill
Valued Contributor

Citi DC was around for several years before Blispay, if memory serves.  Also, Citi has huge national advertising for DC and other cards.  Citi not only has name recognition, but a huge existing customer base to market to as well as (the perception at least) that they are in it for the long haul.

Citi cards also have some of the best ancillary features such as price rewind (only one that I know of that's automated where they will search for lower prices for you), warranty extension, travel protection, lost baggage, etc.  For those who care, establishing and/or extending a relationship with Citi could be a factor.  Not a consideration with Blisplay.

Personally, I'd prefer the Fidelity or PenFed 2% cards over the DC.  Not really interested in Blisplay.  Most attractive to me is the new 2.5% card from Alliant which has a $59 AF.  I'll be trying for that one later this year.

Message 9 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

I love blispay. Not for everyday but for large purchases at 0%. 2% is just a bonus. DC is next the chopping block. 

Message 10 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.