Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 Part Question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

2 Part Question

I have a 769 Experian Score, 771 Equifax, 768 TransUnion. I only have 2 cards. American Express Blue Cash and Best Buy store card. Balances on them are both 0. My amex has a limit of 29,000 and my BB Store card has a 9,000 limit. I am wanting a rewards card to build up some kind of travel points. I will spend about 25-35,000 a year on the card. Our household income is 150,000. What card would you recommend?

2nd Question: My wife has a fair credit score (675, 668,679 for Eq, TU, and Experian). She had one KD on her report for a mixup with the electric company that was their error. We already paid the debt and its marked as paid on the report but we did not negotiate to get it removed (silly us, we didnt know). So it may stay on there. She has hardly anything else on her report (she is an authorized user on my AMEX). She has no loans, no cards, or anythign on her report. What unsecured card could she apply and possibly get to help build her credit?

Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: 2 Part Question

Spending 25k, your blue cash should be nice.

but if you really want a new card, I would look for the 2% earners like the one broker firm (forget name right now, sorry)

for wife, try bank of america pre qual, if not offered anything, might have to lower sites to like Cabelas, Kroger, Capital One

or even better go with Alliant Credit union

3 out of 4 I gave you pull EQ only and capital one pulls all 3. 

Message 2 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

We just tried the BoA pre qual. My wife did not have any BoA prequalified offers. So we tried the CapitalONE prequal. Same thing, no prequalified offers but they told us to apply for the Capital One Orbitz Visa Platinum. We applied for that and she got approved. Is it smart for her to get a couple of cards or just start with the capital one for now?
Message 3 of 25
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I'm a big believer in 3.

Maybe a Macy's or whatever department store you all currently shop at.

if Macy's is something you would use, apply in store not online! 

Message 4 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

You say she has no cards on her report...your Amex should show up there if she is an authorized user. You might also make her an AU on your Best Buy card. This should increase her score enough to be approved for most credit cards.

Along with trying Alliant CU you might have her apply for a Citibank card.

When I decided to apply for new cards I did all 3 in a couple of days. The best strategy is to apply for the hardest to qualify for first, and then try to choose cards that check different credit reports so that not all inquiries end up on the same report.

Message 5 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also, how old is the electric company collection?  The older it is, the less effect it has on her scores and her ability to obtain credit.

Also, if you wait a bit, there will be lots of folks chiming in with their rewards cards suggestions! Myself, I haven't a clue.

Message 6 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Creditaddict wrote:

but if you really want a new card, I would look for the 2% earners like the one broker firm (forget name right now, sorry)

You must be referring to the Schwab Bank Invest First Visa Credit Card.

Message 7 of 25
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

thank you, yes!
Message 8 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

We applied for a  Citi Platinum Select Mastercard for her yesterday and were denied. I just want one or two prime cards for her to start building credit. We wont be carrying a balance, we dont really care about specific reward programs, we just need something that reports reliably to the buereus so that she can build her credit back up. For the record she will maily be using it for gas, groceries, and misc purchases at places like kohls target etc.

Her KD from the electric company was in August of 2007. It was paid in February 09.

You are correct the Amex did show up. Just no cards of her own. She got approved today for the Capital One Orbitz Card. So we just need 1 more prime card for her. Anymore suggestions?

Message 9 of 25
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

then have her get a Kohls card.

it's backed by Chase, so once your in good with that card, you would probably be able to get a Chase Visa 

Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.