Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 Questions - Amex & Cap1 Journey

tag
Kohler
Established Member

2 Questions - Amex & Cap1 Journey

1) Do you have to be a student to have the Cap1 Journey? I already have this card but my aunt recently apped and she's not a student and she was denied. I figured it might be because she's not a student BUT I asked live chat beforehand if anyone can apply and they said yes. Also, on the app they have an option to mark "not a student"... so just wondering why they call it a student card if it's for everyone?

2) I'm hoping to apply for an Amex at the end of the year. I have 7 CC's, all opened at the beginning of the year (2 are authorized user accts). Does Amex like to see a full year of CC history before applying or would say 10 months of CC history be enough?

Thanks.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

Re: 2 Questions - Amex & Cap1 Journey

@Kohler wrote:

1) Do you have to be a student to have the Cap1 Journey? I already have this card but my aunt recently apped and she's not a student and she was denied. I figured it might be because she's not a student BUT I asked live chat beforehand if anyone can apply and they said yes. Also, on the app they have an option to mark "not a student"... so just wondering why they call it a student card if it's for everyone?

2) I'm hoping to apply for an Amex at the end of the year. I have 7 CC's, all opened at the beginning of the year (2 are authorized user accts). Does Amex like to see a full year of CC history before applying or would say 10 months of CC history be enough?

Thanks.

1.) The Journey is a student card so not sure why the aunt applied for it. It's also for average credit, so it's probable that that is the reason why she was denied. Not sure if one HAS to be a student in order to get approved for it though. Do you know what kind of credit your aunt has? Do you know why she didn't possibly try for the Quicksilver?

2.) A year is always a good time period to wait in between but so is 6 months, too. It's really up to you -- what kind of approval are you looking for? Just to get in with them or the best approval that you could get with them? I always recommend to people if they have yet to cement their member since date the earlier you can do it the better for you years down the road when you apply for cards with them.  It's a good idea to wait the year in order for the INQs to not have such a huge affect on your possible application decision. With that said, if your MSD hasn't been determined you might want to make sure you app in 2014 for it and get it cemented for the future. You can always do the 61 day CLI to get the CL you wish for.

Message 2 of 3
SomeGuyOnTheWeb
Regular Contributor

Re: 2 Questions - Amex & Cap1 Journey

No, you don't have to be a student to have a journey card.

EQ - 727
TU - 752
EX - 774
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.