Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 Teir Gas Pricing in Texas? Credit vs Debit

tag
john398
Senior Contributor

2 Teir Gas Pricing in Texas? Credit vs Debit

Went to get gas today at Tom Thumb(Safeway) and they now have a 10 cent porice difference between debit cards vs credit cards, never thought they do that here

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Brusilov
Established Contributor

Re: 2 Teir Gas Pricing in Texas? Credit vs Debit

I thought it was against the credit card agreements to price differently depending on method of payment?

Message 2 of 17
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@Brusilov wrote:

I thought it was against the credit card agreements to price differently depending on method of payment?

IIRC, the surcharge has to be consistent with all credit cards.  In other words,  the merchant couldn't offer an increase on Amex only unless the same increase was for VISA/MC etc. 

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. 

Message 3 of 17
Darrell82
Established Contributor

Re: 2 Their Gas Pricing in Texas? Credit vs. Debit

They do that In Virginia as well. There is a truck stop I know that has a good difference in price between credit and cash users. But only for the diesel fuel. Regular gas is same price either way you pay. 

Message 4 of 17
NotUsher
Contributor

Saw this on the news the other day:

http://www.nbcdfw.com/investigations/Tom-Thumb-Gas-Stations-Charging-More-for-Credit-Card-Customers-...

Seems it's not so much a surcharge for CC sales as it is a discount for cash/debit - similar to what you see at liquor stores like Specs or Top Wine.

Message 5 of 17
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@NotUsher wrote:

Saw this on the news the other day:

http://www.nbcdfw.com/investigations/Tom-Thumb-Gas-Stations-Charging-More-for-Credit-Card-Customers-...

Seems it's not so much a surcharge for CC sales as it is a discount for cash/debit - similar to what you see at liquor stores like Specs or Top Wine.

Aw, yes...discount. 

Message 6 of 17
Darrell82
Established Contributor

HAHAHA discount .. Thats funny. Yeah i think that is a better way to put it then saying we are now going to charge you as a credit card holder more because they have to pay a fee for credit swipes and is now handing it down to the consumer to pay for them.

Message 7 of 17
enharu
Super Contributor

Its somewhat shady to label it as a discount, but it's not entirely wrong either. Even when shopping at certain stores, they are willing to absorb sales tax or offer some discount if the transaction is done in cash. It may be to avoid swipe fees, or just that they plan to report less taxes.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 8 of 17
Too_much_debt
Valued Member

Been like that in Michigan for forever.

TU 712; EQ 739; EX 736 -- As of 07/01/2015
Message 9 of 17
user5387
Valued Contributor

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.