Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 Teir Gas Pricing in Texas? Credit vs Debit

tag
Ron1
Super Contributor

Re: 2 Teir Gas Pricing in Texas? Credit vs Debit

They have card prices and cash prices in LA  for years.

Ron.

Message 11 of 17
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

Time to start looking for Reward Debit cards...

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 12 of 17
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@Ron1 wrote:

They have card prices and cash prices in LA  for years.

Ron.

So true

Message 13 of 17
drkaje
Senior Contributor

@NotUsher wrote:

Saw this on the news the other day:

http://www.nbcdfw.com/investigations/Tom-Thumb-Gas-Stations-Charging-More-for-Credit-Card-Customers-...

Seems it's not so much a surcharge for CC sales as it is a discount for cash/debit - similar to what you see at liquor stores like Specs or Top Wine.

It costs them less to process cash/debit. What's wrong with passing the savings on to customers?

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 14 of 17
fltn
Frequent Contributor

They do this in FL and GA as well for the last 4 or so years. All up and down I95 and I75 from FL to TN cash is lower then credit/debit, all the Pilot and other stores and truck stops have flashing/changing signs on the highway showing both prices.

Other states do it as well, I remember seeing them on my way from FL to North Dakota in 2009.

On a side note......

If ever driving through Iowa, and you usually buy regular gas (no price difference with cash or card) take notice to premium prices as they are lowest and regular is highest.

It was 30 cents cheaper to buy high grade, not sure if it was a touist/traveler trap but the entire state did it.

Here is TN one local store (chain) puts the regular in the spot most pumps have premium and premium on the regular side, but in the Smokies with so many tourist, it is a nice little trap that got me a couple of times.

Currently "freezing" in the garden!
Message 15 of 17
TravellingNomad
Established Contributor

yeah they've been soing that here in northern Cali for the past several years. i havent used my cc/debit card to fill up for the longest time. thats why the cc's with higher rewards structure for gas purchases are of no use to me...meaning id still be paying more and wont break even with the rewards.

Message 16 of 17
bluesnowman
Frequent Contributor

Where I live in Socal they don't have it, but I have seen this more in the San Fernando Valley and the more West part of L.A. has more of these AFAIK. 

Bank of America: Cash Rewards.- 4.2k. 4/25/12 (CLI Increase 6/15/13, CLI May of 2015, sept 2015), Citi: Forward- 4.5k. 10/27/12 (CLI on 2/8/14, SP, CLI on 9/26/15 sp). Discover: More- 7k, 10/27/12 (Increase 6/1/14, CLI in May of 2015, SP 9/2015) Amex: PRG- NPSL (closed 12/13/13). 11/24/12. Chase: Freedom. 5/1/13- 5k (EX CLI HP 9/2015) Southwest Rapid Rewards Plus.-3.6k. 6/15/13. Amex BCE-2k. 12/7/13. Amex SPG-5k 12/8/13 (CLI on 9/2015) Capital one VentureOne Visa Signature-10k (9/6/15). Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard-4K. Last App: 9/6/15. Total cl: 45,300
Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.