Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 days late on one of the cards

tag
mikka1
Frequent Contributor

2 days late on one of the cards

S**t, never thought that I would ever be writing a post like this... but this morning I realized that I missed the payment due date on my BofA Travel Rewards by 2 days (due date was 05/07 and today is 05/09).

This was one of the few cards I enjoyed 0% APR on and it seems that it made me too way relaxed about it Smiley LOL

I immediately transferred a minimum payment from my BofA checking account and scheduled a bill pay for a larger amount from Citi.

What I'm really concerned now is what concequences will I have:

1) Will this unfortunate mistake somehow make its way to my credit report? Is it technically a 2-3-days late? Or do they count from the day the last statement has been generated?

2) Will it automatically and immediately cancel my 0% APR, so that I'll have to pay the whole debt off in full?

And I'm frankly a little bit pi**ed by BofA. They keep sending me some promotional surveys and other junk emails, but unlike Discover or Amex they haven't sent me a single reminder about my payment due date approaching...

Thanks a lot!

In my wallet now: Amex PRG NPSL, Amex BCE $15k $17k (thanks to recent CLI), Chase Freedom 11k, CSP $6k, Chase United ME $5k, Citi Dividend $5.6k, Discover It $4.5k and a handful of other cards...
TU Dec 2013 - 752Sep 2013 - 764 - new all time maximum

Obsolete data aboveCurrent TU - probably around ~810, only using a few Chase & BofA cards now, not applying for much until we buy a house
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
TM82
Regular Contributor

Re: 2 days late on one of the cards

It's not considered late enough to make it onto your credit report but it will result in a late fee and could possibly cancel your 0% interest promo .
My Cards
American Express Blue | American Express Premier Rewards Gold | Chase Amazon | Chase Freedom | Chase Sapphire Preferred | Chase United Explorer | Chase United MileagePlus Club | JPMorgan Palladium

Message 2 of 17
RTOrockstar
Frequent Contributor

You'll probably get charged with a late fee, but your credit report and score won't take a hit as long as it's under 30 days.

Message 3 of 17
enharu
Super Contributor

there wont be a late on your CR.

however any promotion you have now will be cancelled.

your APR will be moved to the highest rate and you will be charged a late fee.

you can always call the bank and ask them to cut you some slack if this is the 1st time. 

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 4 of 17
mikka1
Frequent Contributor

Well, if it doesn't make way to my credit report, then I'm fine.

Will anyway try to fight any fees as it was the first time I ever have a late payment and just use this as a reason to pay off one of my high balance cards. I was not planning to do it until August (when my 0% APR should have ended anyway), but if this promo is cancelled now, I see no reason to keep the balance on that card anyway.

As soon as I get my next paycheck, I'm paying the card off :-)

Thanks a lot for your input!

In my wallet now: Amex PRG NPSL, Amex BCE $15k $17k (thanks to recent CLI), Chase Freedom 11k, CSP $6k, Chase United ME $5k, Citi Dividend $5.6k, Discover It $4.5k and a handful of other cards...
TU Dec 2013 - 752Sep 2013 - 764 - new all time maximum

Obsolete data aboveCurrent TU - probably around ~810, only using a few Chase & BofA cards now, not applying for much until we buy a house
Message 5 of 17
2011beginnings
Frequent Contributor

If you still have access to the paperwork they sent you when you received the card, it will definitely let you know the terms and conditions but often times it is a higher APR and cancellation of a promotion. I would still call a CSR to be on the safe side. Good Luck!
PenFed AMEX: $5500 | AMEX BCE: $8300 | AMEX E: $5000 | BofA BBR: $5000 | Discover It: $6500 | CSP: $11500 | CF: $5500 | Citi DIVIDEND: $5700 | CITI TYP: $4600 | BofA CR: $7500 | CAP ONE Q: $3000 |

TU: 722 / EX: 763 / EQ: 735
Message 6 of 17
broseph23
Regular Contributor

You should really set up automatic payment of at LEAST the minimum payment due for your cards to prevent anything like this from happening again. Hope BOA works with you on this!

Age: 25 | FICO: TU 802, EQ 782, EX 801 | FAKO: TU 778, EX 769 | Garden: 6/2015 | Total History: 7yr 6mo | AAoA: 4yr 2mo | Util: 4%
........24000...............10000.....................6000................7000................500..................5000................18000...............10000
Message 7 of 17
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

I agree with the other posters. CR won't be dinged but a late fee, promotional offer and APR adjustment are probably in your future. Did BoA send you a statement? I'm confused about the comment they send junk emails and not a reminder
Message 8 of 17
somnipotent
Frequent Contributor

this is why you set auto-pay for at least the minimum payment amount. 

AmEx PRG (NPSL) | AmEx Costco ($8.2K) | AmEx Delta Gold ($19.3K) | AmEx BCE ($5K) | Chase United Explorer ($10K) | Chase Sapphire Preferred ($7.5K) | Chase Freedom ($8.2K) | Discover it ($3K) | Capital One Quicksilver ($2.5K) | PayPal Extras ($2.5K) | Lowes ($3.3K) | Walmart ($4.3K) | Amazon ($2.5K) | Restoration Hardware ($8.8K) | Crate & Barrel ($8.3K)
--
Homeowner since 05/29/13
Message 9 of 17
JonStur
Established Contributor

Also creditcards generally don't send you reminders unless you set up to receive them. At least every one that I own has a section on their website giving you the opportunity to sign up for reminders, as well as when they send them to you ( ie. a week before, 5 days before, etc).

Starting Score: TU 595 EX 600 EQ 585
Current Score: TU 820 EX 825 EQ 812
Goal Score: 800 Club (Mission Accomplished)

Amex Platinum, Amex BCP $17.5K, 5/3 Sig $10K, Capital One Quicksilver 15K, Walmart 10K, US Bank Cash+ 15K, Sam's Club 10K, Chase Freedom $6K, Discover More $15K, Chase United Club MileagePlus $33K, Costco $6K, CapOne Quicksilver One $7K, Cap One Quicksilver $5K, Amazon $3K, Barclays $12.5K, Home Depot $7.5K, AppleCard $6K
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.