cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 different incomes raise a flag on 2 apps @ Chase?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

2 different incomes raise a flag on 2 apps @ Chase?

When I applied for the Chase Freedom Card last week I was approved.  But I did not include my "income" that my mother sends me every month, at least I dont think I did.  But when I filled out for the Chase SWA Visa I did include it which makes about a 3k difference in my "income."  Keep in mind that these apps were just a few days apart.  Instantly approved for Freedom, 5-7 days on Chase SWA.   It has been 2 days and I called the back door line and he said a decision was still not made yet.  

I wanted to know if reporting the 2 different incomes couldve raised a flag that might potentially affect my current application or the Freedom card Ive already received?  What do you all think? 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
crunching_numbers
Valued Contributor

Re: 2 different incomes raise a flag on 2 apps @ Chase?

More likely two cards in such a short timeframe raised the flag.

Starting Score: 693 TU FICO, 679 EQ FICO
Current Score: FICO 8 = 844(9/15) EQ, 827 TU, 811 EX (7/15); mortgage FICO= 758 (9/15)EQ5, 797 TU4, 748 EX2 (7/15)
Goal Score: 750+, but shooting for the 800's
Hyatt Visa Sig ($23K), Amex BCP (24.8K), BofA Travel Rew Sig (22.5K), B&N World MC (22.3K), Amex RP Gold (NPSL w/ S&T), Cash+ Sig (20K),United Mil+ExpSig (16.3K), FNBO Visa (13.1K), Hilton Surpass (10K), Freedom Visa Sig (8.6K), Disc It (16.4K), Citi Dia Pref MC (3.7K),Sam's MC (10K), Wally (7.5K), JCP(5.3K), Costco (2K)
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@crunching_numbers wrote:

More likely two cards in such a short timeframe raised the flag.

Thats what I figured.  I just hope this isnt considered "fraud" per se and get my application and card cancelled.  

Message 3 of 8
JaysonT
Regular Contributor

Very much doubt that would be the reason for flagging your account.  As was said, the short timeframe is far more likely the reason.  I know its not exactly your case but image you app for Card A and then a day later get a raise of $3000 and then the day after that you app for Card B.  No more an unbelievebale scenario and definitely not any kind of fraud in your case or this one.  You omitted some income in the one app and included it in the other.

Message 4 of 8
TM82
Regular Contributor

It's the 2 apps in a short time. Though I wouldn't consider that to be income, I would keep your reported income on apps to be W-2 income to be safe.
My Cards
American Express Blue | American Express Premier Rewards Gold | Chase Amazon | Chase Freedom | Chase Sapphire Preferred | Chase United Explorer | Chase United MileagePlus Club | JPMorgan Palladium

Message 5 of 8
clocktick
Valued Contributor

I don't think it has anything to do with your income.  I think it's because of the applications being so close together.  I applied about 2 weeks apart and was denied because they were so close.  I just called the backdoor number, answered some questions and was approved on the spot.  Let us know what happens!

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@clocktick wrote:

I don't think it has anything to do with your income.  I think it's because of the applications being so close together.  I applied about 2 weeks apart and was denied because they were so close.  I just called the backdoor number, answered some questions and was approved on the spot.  Let us know what happens!

thank you! what kind of questions did they ask if they arent too personal?

Message 7 of 8
clocktick
Valued Contributor

They asked me about my income.  They asked me what my monthly payment is on my Amex (I pay in full monthly so it varies and I told them that - thought the question was a little odd).  She put me on hold a couple times and came back and asked what kind of credit limit I wanted and then approved me.  Call them!  They're really nice...at least in my experience (and I've dealt with them numerous times!).

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.