cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 months secured credit history: denied capital one, approved DISCOVER IT! CONFUSED.

tag
cottoncrown
Frequent Contributor

2 months secured credit history: denied capital one, approved DISCOVER IT! CONFUSED.

Hi everyone. Two months ago I started up 2 secured cards with no previous credit history. One with a local bank (elan financial) for 300 and the cap one secured for 200. Both have reported PIF for 2 cycles on TU and EX for sure. I have no negatives at all and am 32. Credit karma reports my score as 625 and my fico won't tell me as my report is too new. Here's the deal. When I use capital ones pre approved site it says they don't have anything for me. I tried discover online pre approval the other day, it told me to apply for the new IT card. I did, approved, $750. I'm very happy! But I just don't understand, isn't discover a harder card to get? And also I don't have a fico score! Can anyone explain how this is possible? Finally, what should be my next step? I would like an unsecured visa as a backup to the discover. Thanks!
Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
cottoncrown
Frequent Contributor

Re: 2 months secured credit history: denied capital one, approved DISCOVER IT! CONFUSED.

Also, I am not a student.
Message 2 of 23
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

Re: 2 months secured credit history: denied capital one, approved DISCOVER IT! CONFUSED.

Next step is to Garden. You will continue to get denials or toy limits unless you established aged credit history.

I recommend 6 months minimum, and up to a year if you can do it. 2 credit cards is a very good start and will put you in a great position over time if you take it slow now.

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 3 of 23
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Congrats on your approval and welcome to the Discover family. Discover may have pulled the CB that has a CS for you and cap 1 pulls all three.

I agree with SnackTrader- garden, garden, garden. You are well in your way.

Welcome to the forum!
Message 4 of 23
cottoncrown
Frequent Contributor

okay, so time to garden thats what i figured. i was thinking i should wait until discover gives me CLI, then once that reports, apply for another card. for a low limit like mine do you think they auto cli after six months? at that point what is a good card i should apply for? a no fee visa of some sort? recomendations? 

excuse the spelling, i am on my android!

Message 5 of 23
myjourney
Super Contributor

@cottoncrown wrote:

okay, so time to garden thats what i figured. i was thinking i should wait until discover gives me CLI, then once that reports, apply for another card. for a low limit like mine do you think they auto cli after six months? at that point what is a good card i should apply for? a no fee visa of some sort? recomendations? 

excuse the spelling, i am on my android!

Welcome to the forum

Yes use it for 6 months see if they give you a CLI while in garden for  6 months before applying for other no fee cards good luck and see you in the garden

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 6 of 23
Bobby1146
Established Member

This is not advice, just what I think... These credit companies are in a HUGE competition now. Discover it, is new a card trying to pull in who ever they can. Capitol One is not. However, your on the right track, just slow down for a while with applying for any more credit. Always keep this in mind, THERE IS NO FAST WAY TO INCREASE YOUR CREDIT SCORE!!! The slower you take it, the better. I started just like you, no credit history, nothing. I went to Macy's & applied for a card & they gave me a $100.00 credit limit (embarrassing) 10 years ago, now I have their Macy's Amex )I was 34 at the time). Give yourself some time with the Discover card, don't use it too often, DO NOT GO CLOSE TO YOUR CREDIT LIMIT (not even half way). I did & those modcut reported me to the credit bureau's & my credit score went down to 751. Just buy minor stuff that you can pay in full when you get your statement & let time do the rest. Oh, try never to carry a balance, that's only good for the credit company, not for you. & try applying for another card in December, you should do well. Good Luck!

Edited to remove mild profanity.

Shogun

Chase Sapphire $5000/ Gap Visa $5000/ Discover$6500, Barclays Ring $5000, Chase Freedom $1,100.00/ Macy's $3000/ Best Buy $3400
Message 7 of 23
cottoncrown
Frequent Contributor

haha, actual lol'd at the embarassing 100$ macys limit.so funny. thanks for the advice.

Message 8 of 23
b_seeker
Frequent Contributor

@Bobby1146 wrote:

This is not advice, just what I think... These credit companies are in a HUGE competition now. Discover it, is new a card trying to pull in who ever they can. Capitol One is not. However, your on the right track, just slow down for a while with applying for any more credit. Always keep this in mind, THERE IS NO FAST WAY TO INCREASE YOUR CREDIT SCORE!!! The slower you take it, the better. I started just like you, no credit history, nothing. I went to Macy's & applied for a card & they gave me a $100.00 credit limit (embarrassing) 10 years ago, now I have their Macy's Amex )I was 34 at the time). Give yourself some time with the Discover card, don't use it too often, DO NOT GO CLOSE TO YOUR CREDIT LIMIT (not even half way). I did & those modcut reported me to the credit bureau's & my credit score went down to 751. Just buy minor stuff that you can pay in full when you get your statement & let time do the rest. Oh, try never to carry a balance, that's only good for the credit company, not for you. & try applying for another card in December, you should do well. Good Luck!

It sounds like your utilization was just high and because it was still high when your statement cut, your score lowered as a result. They aren't assholes for reporting your statement balance. All you need to do to avoid that is pay BEFORE the statement cuts to lower your utilization to the optimal range. I regularly put high balances on my Barclay when it was my only card, as well as high balances on both my Discover and Amex in March and April, respectively, and had no problems. OP, as long as you can PIF or at least pay most of it, use your Discover as much as you want. Might as well rack up the rewards.

|| Barclaycard Rewards Visa $5500 || AMEX BCE $2000 || Discover IT $3000 || Amazon Rewards Visa $1800 ||
|| Chase Freedom $2700 || CSP $5000 || Chase Marriott Premier $7500 || Sallie Mae MC $3800 ||

FICO Scores: EX 752 (3/13/13) || EQ 782 (10/4/13) || TU 724 (1/18/13)

In the garden as of 10/12/2013
Message 9 of 23
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Good advice but let's leave out the profanity next time. You do not want the MODS shaking their finger at you. Lol
Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.